• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Opposite Lock Club

T

the doc

Does anyone remember the "Opposite Lock" Club ??

It was on a canal in Birmingham on the Broad Street side of the city and you entered the club from the canal bank (Canal Street?).

It was very lively place and the DJ was an avid Birmingham City FC fan who punctuated the evening's gyrations with "Keep Right On To The End OF The Road". From memory it was one pound for annual membership or 2/6d for visitors.

It was there last time I looked 45 years ago but no doubt has long disappeared. Anyone know what happened to it ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Birmingham Night Clubs

Yes Doc and was a Member of the Green Room happy days:)

This is the page for night Clubs Doc

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4001

SNAP WENDY

I think it's now legs eleven.There is some info on this thread.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4001&highlight=clubs

Does anyone remember the "Opposite Lock" Club ??

I remember it well. Spent my 21st birthday their in 1967! Great Club.

Christine
West Yorkshire

:)

Look here https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk...ead.php?t=4001

I never went there, I don't know why though because it would have been a good place to be.

Martin Hone, who owned it, was a customer at the tailors shop in Hall Green where I worked as a young man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opposite Lock

Gas Street

oplock.jpg

The Opposite Lock Club, was on the towpath
in Gas Street basin.
Access to the club was from Gas Street, through a short alleyway,
where you tuned left, onto the canal towpath.
Exit was a bit more precarious, as after a few pints,
you had to ensure, you didn't fall into the canal.
It's hard to say, how many lost souls took that way out!

f000432c.jpg

The club was owned and run by man named Martin Hone.
He was born and bred in Birmingham.
He was in the carpet business and then he pursued
his interest in motor racing.
He drove Porsches around Europe's various road circuits.
He has experience in racing during his eight year career
including class wins at the Autosport Championship in 1965 and 1966.
It helped him to provide an extensive knowledge
in the background of motor sport.
Then the inevitable came when a member of the city council
called him to invite him to a meeting
to meet various councillors and people who were planning
to move Birmingham forward from its reputation as a drab,
dark and run-down city into a resurgent and exciting city.
To Martin Hone as his enthusiasm encouraged him to propose
something that would frighten the council members he said:
As a city internationally famous for the manufacture of cars,
but with not many first' to our name,
how about I organise the first-ever street race in Britain?

He oozed determination and enthusiasm
as he converted a run-down warehouse into a nightspot,
the Opposite Lock Club in 1966.

FRONTCOVERTHEOPPOSITELOCK.jpg
INSIDETHEOPPOSITELOCK.jpg

It quickly rose to become one of Birmingham's premier nightspots.
He contributed a lot of hard work and made publicity
to make it a success for himself.
Also it promoted international jazz, international motorsport and food.
The resident singer was

Shirley Kent

sk1.jpg

Fascinating article; thankyou! I went to the 'Opposite Lock' and the 'Factory' several times; it was the height of Birmingham sophistication in those days. I was only admiited to the place because my friend had an E-Type Jag! I heard several international 'Jazz' musicians play there; and although I was never an extreme 'jazz' fan, I was always impressed by the atmosphere created there. It was all very civilised. Thanks again, I've enjoyed all your 'club' articles.

I had my 18th birthday party there' in 'Martin's Room' (the members room) in 1980. It was a fantastic club. My friend George, was a commis chef there (remember the bistro?) and the chef was Colin (I think). Frank was a bouncer. I met Kate Bush & 10CC there too! Happy, happy days.

Was Martin's Room the place with the Chesterfield sofas and waiter service? I also remember there being a TV room where you could watch MOTD, full of blokes of course! Great club. Viv.

Hello,
Hope I'm doing this right as I'm a bit green at this lark.
I was a resident musician at the Lock from 1973 to 1975 and martin Hone was my manager for a while. I notice on the poster that it mentions his agency which was called OLE!
Anything I can help with information wise I'd be happy to do so.
Be the first one on your block. Turn on to the Opposite Lock!
Laurie

Yes, Colin was the chef and Frank McLiddy managed the club. he also acted as the DJ calling himself Frankie Lee. Frank now is at the Tally Ho club, as was Colin, but he's gone now

The room where you watched Match Of The Day was the Venus Room, up the stairs. next room along was Martin's Room with the sofas and waitress service. Barbara, Elaine, Janet and Betty. I'm shaking at the memories!

The entrance to the Lock was up the steps at the bottom of Gas Street. It's a Legs 11 type of place now. The last time i was along the towpath, the old King Arthur's Court medaeival banqeting suite is now a chip shop. The DJ would have been Roger 'Our Man Harris'.

:1013:
Was Martin's Room the place with the Chesterfield sofas and waiter service? I also remember there being a TV room where you could watch MOTD, full of blokes of course! Great club. Viv.

Sure was Viv:1024::MusicMarchingBand::1011:

In 1966 I worked at Pauline Mayman`s the sports car and accessory shop in Broad St. I rememember a guy with a beard coming in to show us plans for a club he wanted to locate in an old building in Gas St. We thought he was mad...he wasn`t of course...He also bought us the motor race around the streets...Is Martin still around ?

I last saw Martin about 6 or 7 years ago. He was running a company called International Festivals which organised car rallys all over the place. His office was at 42 Gas Street but then he moved the office over to Broome by Ragley Hall.
He was also heavily involved with the church on the Parade, Spring Hill

The room where you watched Match Of The Day was the Venus Room, up the stairs. next room along was Martin's Room with the sofas and waitress service. Barbara, Elaine, Janet and Betty. I'm shaking at the memories!

Steady you know it's not good for your heart at your age :smug:

I remember the decal they had for the windshield, we use to think it was just a club for wanner be racers, I have no idea to this day if that's true, but I had to walk past it on the way to pick up the breakfast sandwiches when I was a lowly Rolls Royce/Jaguar apprentice for P J Evans on Granville St.

We went to the "Opposite Lock" Two or three times with my brother in law, he and Martin Hone real good friends. Good food and music I even have an old menu somewhere. Warwick Levy (Ashton) my bro in law, was a motor nut like Martin Hone. thye talked about cars for hours.,

Last edited:
Back