• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old football photo

we thought that it could have been the aston villa team because the relative was a life long villa supporter

O.K.Bob no probs I,m leaning towards Whitton Hall as I read in Wendy,s post that the boys were relocated to here from Penn St in 1902 and Penn St closed in 1905 it would also fit with Villa Park being in the same area although I am guessing a bit on that as I have not found the position of Whitton Hall.Dek

Hello Dek, I think that the ragged school in the photo was the one in Balden Road, Harborne which moved from Gem Street to there in 1902. Our relative was born and brought up in Selly Park and we think he may have been the little boy in the photo. I still can't work out how the villa team came to be visiting there but having looked at the villa history site the cup definitely looks like the league cup. best wishes mobo

I was just looking at the photo and wondered if it is "Happy" Harry Hampton sitting in the middle.
Born Joseph Harry Hampton in in 1885 (Shropshire) he played centre forward for Aston Villa 1904-1920. He also played for England. After serving in WW1 he played for Birmingham City.
Take a look and see what you think????

Last edited:
Hello, having look at the photo again it could very well be the man you have named, I confess I know nothing at all about football but the cup is definitely like the one on the villa history website.

I think he looks like the chap in the old photo too. I have been studying a lot of old W.B.A. photos just lately...lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Jones,_Jr. Hi Wendy this takes you to my kin that played for the Baggies

Abraham "Abe" Jones (April 1899 – after 1923) was an English professional footballer who played in the Football League for Birmingham, Reading, Brighton & Hove Albion and Merthyr Town.[1]
Jones was born in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, the son of West Bromwich Albion and Middlesbrough player Abe Jones. A forward, he played local football for West Bromwich Sandwell before joining Birmingham in 1919.[2] He made his debut in the Second Division deputising for Harry Hampton in a home game against Fulham on 6 April 1920, scoring both goals in a 2–0 win. Though Jones retained his place for the next two games,[3] Hampton kept him out of the side thereafter, and in August 1921 he moved on to Reading. A season later he joined Brighton & Hove Albion, after another year went to Merthyr Town, and then to Stoke.[2]
[edit]

A bit more
Teddy Sandford

Edward Albert "Teddy" Sandford (22 October 1910 May 1995) was an inside forward. During his professional career he represented West Bromwich Albion and Sheffield United. Teddy Sandford was born in Handsworth, Birmingham. As a youth he played football for Tantany Athletic, Overend Wesley, Birmingham Carriage Works F.C. and Smethwick Highfield. In October 1929, while still an amateur, he joined and played for 10 years for West Bromwich Albion, the club that his uncle Abe Jones had represented between 1896 and 1901. Sandford turned professional in May 1930 and scored on his senior debut in November of the same year when Albion beat Preston North End 3-2 in a Division Two match. During his first season, he was part of the Albion side that won promotion to the First Division and that also beat Birmingham 2-1 in the 1931 FA Cup Final. In November 1932 he won his only England cap, in a 0-0 draw with Wales at Wrexham. Sandford scored in the 1935 FA Cup Final, but West Bromwich Albion lost the match 4-2 to Sheffield Wednesday. He joined Sheffield United for £1500 in 1939, before finishing his career with Morris Commercial F.C., retiring in May 1943. He died in Great Barr in May 1995.

Thomas_Smith_1888_W_B_A__FA_Cup_winners.jpg
Thats great John I wonder if my gt grandfather knew him. I know he stood down from his duties in 1890 but still had connections with the club. According to the archives in 1888 my gt grandfather went to a meeting in London and was involved in setting up the football league with William MacGregor and others. Did you see the article Carl did in the Express and Starr it was excellent my family are very pleased this has been uncovered.

This is a photo when W.B.A. won the FA cup in 1888. My gt grandfather Thomas Smith is the chap at the back in the bowler hat and droopy moustache.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice on local news the grave of William McGregor in St Mary's Handsworth has been restored. It would be nice if West Bromwich Albion would do the same for this one. My great grandfather sat on the comittee with William on the formation of the Football League.

Thomas_and_Jane_Smiths_grave_at_Heath_Lane_Cemetery_edit~0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched it on TV Wendy. Maybe if a few off the forum put your suggestion to the club it would make them think.

I think maybe I should contact them this is from the club minutes....

On 16[SUP]th[/SUP] March 1888, At a Committee meeting it was resolved that Thomas would attend a conference held in the Andertons Hotel in London, with William McGregor and others, to discuss the formation of the Football league. Once again he proved to be an integral and important figure in the negotiations.

Don’t know if this is the best place to put, but came across this picture from 1939 and Aston Boys. Maybe some may know a few names?

They certainly look proud!

View attachment 134234

They beat Bristol 1-0 and the goalscorer was Gray after 30 mins, they were the better side in first half but Bristol were strong in the second, the home defense holding out.

Lost in seventh Round!

7C7E9EF7-ACBF-4289-94CE-AAC2D87BE2FB.jpeg

This great photo and their history would probably be better placed in Birmingham Schools Football History and photos.

Back