• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

addmission to Aston Hall

Hi,the turtle shell is in the museum's collection centre in Duddeston,I saw it on display there about 12 months ago.

Hi everyone, just to let you know that the turtle shell has now been moved to the Museums Collection Centre in Duddeston. It will be available to view on their open days which come up every few months. The turtle shell is supposed to have formed part of the 19th century display at Aston Hall, which also saw a tiger and a rhino displayed in the Great Hall! Since that time it has been hung from its 'neck', but was in quite a fragile condition. It really needed to be laid flat to give it more support, and there was no suitable space to display it in that position. Being in the MCC means that it can be stored in suitable conditions and there are still opportunities to view it during open days.
Aston Hall Seasonal staff may not have the in-depth knowledge that some staff with a longer service may do, but I think they really are very good about reading all their background material, so Di I am sorry if you found the staff unhelpful! There are still plenty of longer serving permanent members of staff who would be more than happy to talk about the wider history of the Hall, the Holte family and various re-interpretations of the house over the years. We are always interested in hearing your stories of living and playing in Aston and your relationship with the Hall. Myself (Rachel West), and my colleague (Rosie Barker) work with the community - whenever you visit, we would be really pleased to have a chat with you about the Hall or Aston in general. Please look us up next time you visit! Remember Aston Hall is still free to get in on the first Sunday of every month (apart from Villa home match days, when it's the first Saturday).

Hi everyone, just to let you know that the turtle shell has now been moved to the Museums Collection Centre in Duddeston. It will be available to view on their open days which come up every few months. The turtle shell is supposed to have formed part of the 19th century display at Aston Hall, which also saw a tiger and a rhino displayed in the Great Hall! Since that time it has been hung from its 'neck', but was in quite a fragile condition. It really needed to be laid flat to give it more support, and there was no suitable space to display it in that position. Being in the MCC means that it can be stored in suitable conditions and there are still opportunities to view it during open days.
Aston Hall Seasonal staff may not have the in-depth knowledge that some staff with a longer service may do, but I think they really are very good about reading all their background material, so Di I am sorry if you found the staff unhelpful! There are still plenty of longer serving permanent members of staff who would be more than happy to talk about the wider history of the Hall, the Holte family and various re-interpretations of the house over the years. We are always interested in hearing your stories of living and playing in Aston and your relationship with the Hall. Myself (Rachel West), and my colleague (Rosie Barker) work with the community - whenever you visit, we would be really pleased to have a chat with you about the Hall or Aston in general. Please look us up next time you visit! Remember Aston Hall is still free to get in on the first Sunday of every month (apart from Villa home match days, when it's the first Saturday).

https://images.birminghamhistory.co...014/Aston_Hall_Natural_History_Collection.JPG Drawing of 2 the animals once on display at Aston Hall. Looks like a rhino and giraffe. VivView attachment 68612

Back