• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The festival league. [football].

I played in three teams over the years in the Festival League between 1964 and 1980 ish. Stratford Star, Selbrooke and Stone FC. Great times and 1st class leagues. Wish I could play 90 minutes now!!

My brother in law played for most of the good teams in Birmingham, do any of you remember Johnny Hewitt ?

Did anyone play in this league. If so who did you play for?. Jean.
I played for Witton Rangers, It must have been around 1952/3 before I went in the army. I think it was in the early days of Festival League.The only names I can remember were Bernard Gilbert, Norman............the manager/player. We didn'y win anything.

Thanks John. Great photo's Bob. Did Johny play for Lion Rangers at any time Jim?. Jean.

Lion Rangers were a good team around 1962 I think. I remember them turning up at Perry Common Rec one Sunday in a new strip. Dark green shirts black shorts and burgundy socks. They looked very impressive. I knew a couple of the players but I can't remember their names now.

Lion Rangers were a good team around 1962 I think. I remember them turning up at Perry Common Rec one Sunday in a new strip. Dark green shirts black shorts and burgundy socks. They looked very impressive. I knew a couple of the players but I can't remember their names now.
There was a Gordon Ritchie, Tommy Mehan, Mervin Smith and will try to remember some more later. Lovely display of medals Pauly.Jean.

Last edited:
re foto back row l/r. steve richards (wyrley rd), dennis kennedy (station rd), david harris (yates st), peter rankin (lichfield rd),
paul turton (woodcock st),colin cash (church lane), stan arthurs (coach).
front row l/r. paddy carey (mansfield rd), micky wilkins (bevington rd), paul piper (queens rd), roger bluck (wyrley rd), peter piper (queens rd).

This was Ford Street football team, my brother is front row in the centre. Some of the names on the back row are out of order

Fordonians 9 Jan 1965 NEWSPAPER.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bob I played for Stratford star 1968/70 having played for Stratford town and Knowle town at the time. Would love to see any photos of the team during that time. I remember we used to get picked up at the Mermaid pub for the games and getting paid boot money to play. Also it would be nice to hear from any of the players during that period.

Back