• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Highcroft History Display panels unveiling THUR 2 JUN 11am-1pm Archway, Highcroft Rd

Julian Cleaver

proper brummie kid
An open invite:

HIGHCROFT, FROM VICTORIAN WORKHOUSE TO TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY RESIDENCES AND HEALTH SERVICES

You are invited to the unveiling of display panels depicting Highcroft’s History

THURS. 2nd JUNE 2011, 11am-1pm

The Archway, Highcroft Rd, Erdington

Since we published a history of Highcroft in 2002 developers PJ LIVESEY Group have completed the refurbishment of the Grade 2 listed Workhouse buildings alongside the modern architecture of the health service buildings and apartments for families on the rest of the old site. These panels complete a permanent display of the site’s history.

Join us in the Archway to view the panels, and from 1pm a stroll through the site.
Please note we will not have access to the interiors, which are now occupied privately or by the Birmingham & Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation TRUST. Parking in Highcroft Road. B23 6AL Light refreshments

Copies of the history book HIGHCROFT:FROM WORKHOUSE TO MODERN MENTAL HEALTH SERVICE (2001) WILL BE ON SALE, £8. (Also available on AMAZON.co.uk)
Enquiries: Julian Cleaver, Highcroft History Group; [email protected]

Re: Highcroft History Display panels unveiling THUR 2 JUN 11am-1pm Archway, Highcroft

Thanks for the heads-up on this upcoming event Julian. Hope that there is a good turnout for this. Also, the mention of the history book detailing the history. There has always been a large interest in Highcroft Hall on BHF. Hopefully, the panels will be photographed and put online in the future so that people who no longer live in the Erdington area can view them.

Re: Highcroft History Display panels unveiling THUR 2 JUN 11am-1pm Archway, Highcroft

Thanks Jenny ann; I haven't yet found how to put the panels on line ; heres aPDF of the panels and a cover sheet I hope I can drag and drop it here; otherwise i can email it to you.

Thanks for the heads-up on this upcoming event Julian. Hope that there is a good turnout for this. Also, the mention of the history book detailing the history. There has always been a large interest in Highcroft Hall on BHF. Hopefully, the panels will be photographed and put online in the future so that people who no longer live in the Erdington area can view them.

Hi Julian
Looking forward to seeing the display on 2nd June.
I am currently putting a book together about Erdington Cottage Homes - neighbours to Highcroft. I would love to chat with you about the project. Could you contact me when you get a chance?
Many thanks
Gudrun Limbrick

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Julian
Looking forward to seeing the display on 2nd June.
I am currently putting a book together about Erdington Cottage Homes - neighbours to Highcroft. I would love to chat with you about the project. Could you contact me when you get a chance?
Many thanks
Gudrun Limbrick
[email protected]

Hello Gudrun,
In our history, we include a few paragraphs about the Cottage Homes and some references to the Minutes of the Board of Guardians at the time; theres an aerial pic (1930s) in the Local studies library probably done the same time as that of Highcroft which we included in our book. I went into some of the Cottages between 1974 and 1990s as they were still council childrens homes until eventually closed and turned into Social Housing.
For the benefit of other readers in the forum the Highcroft book is 'HIGHCROFT FROM WORKHOUSE TO MODERN MENTAL HEALTH SERVICE' ed Mike Hinson, published HIGHCRFT HISTORY GROUP 2002, available via AMAZON £8.99, Regards Julian C

I hope to be there, is anyone else planning to attend the event.

Colin

Went along today, It was nice to meet Julian, Gudrun and Chris Upton there
It was a chance to go to the other side of the gateway, security is greater there now then it was as a hospital, the panels give the history and development of Highcroft from Workhouse to Mental Hospital, but un-fortunately they are not accessible to the general public, took lots of photo but due to fault on camera they were not saved to card, so none to post, perhaps one of the others can post some.

Colin

Glad that you were able to go along and see the panels at Highcroft, Colin. Sorry to hear about the photos not coming out. Frustrating I know. Hopefully, some photos will show up.

I've just found these missing photo's having carried out a file recovery on a memory card.

Colin

Attachments

• FILE0008.jpg
    FILE0008.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 28
  • FILE0009.jpg
    FILE0009.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 27
  • FILE0001.jpg
    FILE0001.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 32
  • FILE0006.jpg
    FILE0006.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 31
  • FILE0014.jpg
    FILE0014.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 28

Colin, Thanks, that was my last contact with Highcroft apart from selling the book from time to time via Amazon. Cheers, julian C.

Lovely photo's Colin thanks for posting them.

I don't think I've seen this building before - thank you for posting the photos for us to see.

Great to see! Thanks Colin.

Thanks Colin my Uncle Jo was a nurse there at one time.

Lovely photo's Colin thanks for posting them.

hi All, good to see this has popped up again after a few years! I still have copies of "HIGHCROFT From Workhouse to Modern Mental Health Service" (2002) which are on sale at £8.99; 72 pages with photos and illustrations and a readable history of the site and its changes over time. Contact me here or search the title via Amazon; all proceeds go to the mental health charity that supports the site. I am now retired and have very little connection to Highcroft. Julian C

Back