• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nazareth House

My middle sister was in the nursery in 1959 aged three with our youngest but the second time we stayed there in 1961 she was with with our oldest sister in the main home.Boys and girls were kept apart so my brother and I only got to be together with our sisters at meal times and when our dad visited at weekends.Oh! we also met at evening Benediction but couldn't talk in church. I guess "kiddies" stayed in the nursery until they were 5 years old. Hope you, Angie and Polly are keeping well.
Regards, Tony.

Hi everyone! Wow! Nazi House eh? I was there with my brother and two sisters from Dec 1959 to Dec 1963. My brother Phil and I were in John Bosco Group (Sister Assumta's) Boys and my two older sisters, Jackie and Yvonne were in Sister Aloysius (spelling?) (pronounced ‘Allo‑wish‑us’). The only photo I have is of when my dad came to visit and he is standing holding my niece outside the church around the back on the drive (towards the laundary room) I'll put it up on here when I dig it out.

Hi ! It was a Shetland pony called Christmas presented by Chipperfield Circus The Convent has since been demolished to make way for a new housing estate. My biggest regret was not taking any photos of the place.

"Christmas" was a lovely black and white pony which we were allowed to ride as long as we were under 5 stone in weight and had a nun watching over us! He was donated by the circus after we had been to see the show at Bingley Hall and one of the girls from Nazi House was brought to the centre of the ring and had to sing a carol - Away in a Manger if I recall! Anyway, the pony was brought in after she had finished singing and was delivered to the convent a few days later. However, the poor thing only lasted a year or two because the nuns had no idea how to look after it (much the same as us kids really!) and the poor thing died. I remember seeing its hooves all cracked and swollen. It had to be put to sleep. Another victim of Nazi House cruelty!
I also actually mention this episode in my book.

"Christmas" was a lovely black and white pony which we were allowed to ride as long as we were under 5 stone in weight and had a nun watching over us! He was donated by the circus after we had been to see the show at Bingley Hall and one of the girls from Nazi House was brought to the centre of the ring and had to sing a carol - Away in a Manger if I recall! Anyway, the pony was brought in after she had finished singing and was delivered to the convent a few days later. However, the poor thing only lasted a year or two because the nuns had no idea how to look after it (much the same as us kids really!) and the poor thing died. I remember seeing its hooves all cracked and swollen. It had to be put to sleep. Another victim of Nazi House cruelty!
I also actually mention this episode in my book.

I remember the pony in the field at the back of our house in Tollhouse road right next to the convent, I sadly watched the horse being put down but wish I hadn't as they used a humane killer gun rather than an injection but I guess it served the same purpose. I think the land our estate was built on was sold off by the convent around 1962/3 followed later on by the convent itself.

Last edited:
Hi Izzy. Yes. You are right. I recall houses just starting to be built on land previously owned by Nazi House, just before I left in Dec '63. I went back (only in passing as a delivery driver) in 1990-91 and demolition work on the old building had not long finished. I thought this was ironic as it had been about 33 years since I last saw the place, and the day I go past all those years later, it was in the process of being demolished! Just like fate sending me there to watch it's demise!!

View attachment 59805

My old man outside the church at Nazi House. I remember the rows of pink carnations all along the driveway. This was taken approx 1962/3. The car was a 1956 Chevy Bel Air. My dad always drove big American motors! Bloody Poser!!

Hello pollypops, i have just joined this debate, i am looking into Nazareth House for my friend she was
there in the very early days, with her sisters, i am talking 1927 they came out of there in the early part
of 1939,Can you tell me how to print off the attachments that i see on the blogs.
As you might have guessed i am just learning and havnt got my head around all of it just yet.
vonnymeek

vonnymeek
If you want to "snipe" a picture, right-click over the desired pic, and then click on "save picture as" from the drop down menu that appears. I usually save pictures to my desktop and then file them somewhere later on.

Hi Houchens head, been looking at your posts, i was in nazi house for a time in1957. Can you tell me the name of your book i'd love to read it. Marie

Hi Houchens Head... I have just noticed your ost... and I sure do remember Sister 'Allo-wish-us'... ( Icarnt spell either!!)... when I was there working with her I always found her to be very nice... I did miss her when they packed her off to Scotland!! ... Bless she gave me her special china mug when she left... a tall one with little roses on it...& I still have it to this day.... :)

Hi Houchens Head... I have just noticed your ost... and I sure do remember Sister 'Allo-wish-us'... ( Icarnt spell either!!)... when I was there working with her I always found her to be very nice... I did miss her when they packed her off to Scotland!! ... Bless she gave me her special china mug when she left... a tall one with little roses on it...& I still have it to this day.... :)

I'm pleased to see that you found her very nice! She always treated us kids really badly, as did nearly all the nuns.

I found most of the nuns quite harsh, I dont have many fond memories of the place, there was quite a nice nun called sister Madeline (I think) and i dont think I was treated as badly as some of the children as my dad used to visit often. Still have a hatred of porrige to this day as I rember being made to eat it every morning and it was always cold and lumpy. Yuk! Going to try and download your book now. Thank you. Marie x

Last edited:
I remember Sister Magdolane (not sure of correct spelling either!) she was elderly and kind. I have a picture of her when I went with the Nuns and children on holiday to Cliftonville... apparently they went there every year.

When I was at Nazi House I was in "St John Bosco" Group, which was the boys group and was run by Sister Assumpta (imagine an elderly Bob Monkhouse in a cowl and that was her!). Anyway, our "holidays" were always to another Nazareth House somewhere! We went to Hammersmith Convent for a week and also Southsea Convent. I seem to remember going to Crosby near Liverpool aswell. (By the way, it was Sister Magdelene)

Hi
I have just read your post about Sister Assumpta. I was at Nazareth House for two short spells in 1959, from February to July and again in 1961 August to October ( although as a nine year old it seemed ages !) I wonder do you remember any of the Turner Family? There was myself. Anthony, my younger brother, John and my older sister, Anne. My two youngest sisters Carol and Bernadette were in the nursery although Carol was in the main part second time around. The boys were looked after by Sister Assumpa helped by a fairly plump woman called Betty who I recall was a bit "cross-eyed". The girls were looked after by Sister Columba I think in 1959 and Sister James in 1961. I remember Assumta had a black mongrel dog called Rover. The place was huge and had its own laundry , farm and garden. How much do you remember? I have loads of memories some vivid and others vague. I am researching Nazareth House history and am looking for photos, I have a few but would love to get some more. I can honestly say we weren't treated that badly but that may because my dad visited us weekly.
I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best,
Tony Turner.

Hi Tony. Just received your email via F.R. (It's me, Baz from IoW).
I remember Betty well! Also Nora. She was deaf-mute. Rover was the "Devil-dog" - always snapping and snarling at us kids! Mind you, we used to torment the hell out of him when Assumpta wasn't around! I also remember Sister James, although I had forgotten about her. She was quite nice if I remember. She was tall and wore glasses. Also Sister Agnes - who was really kind. She was only young herself and I remember her being really upset because she was being transferred to Nazi House in Hammersmith. I have a couple of pics of the building, but they are on my pc hard drive as I managed to get some from t'internet. Don't know if I mentioned earlier but I wrote my autobiography in 2004 and published it online. You can download a pdf copy for £1.99. I don't get paid anything - that's just overhead costs! You can get it at https://www.lulu.com/product/file-d...gContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/3
All the best
Baz

Hi, I dont remember an awful lot about my time there, was there for few months in 1957 . I dont remember any real abuse but I wasnt happy there and was very homesick. To be honest think I have blocked out a lot. I remember a lay woman who looked after us and slept in our dormatory I thought her name was Mary but could be wrong. I think the fact that our dads visited us regulary saved us from a lot of unkindness Tony, I remember when we finally went home , feeling so sorry for the children who lived there permanantly. Best wishes Marie.

Hi Barry, no luck in downloading your book, so Im going to try and buy a copy. Marie

Back