• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

The post cards are, once again, great JK. Don't you just love the trees, which are always so noticablle on old Bimingham photos. :)

Jennyann,the memories come flooding back.

The Snack Bar,you could get cold Horlicks(don't knock it til you've tried it,gorgeous)

Dicks ,oh heaven.

There was a coffee bar we frequented in the late 50s on the opposite side of the High street than the Palace but further up towards the green.

Hi Alberta: I am so glad that you remember Dick's in the High Street. The only other person other than locals of my era who knew about Dick's was a
lady whom I met here in Vancouver when we had a mini Fentham Girls reunion with four of us who had come together through the Internet after our Centenary Reunion at Sutton Town Hall in April 2004 which I was lucky enough to attend. Beryl lived in Reservoir Road across from the Cottage Homes and went to the National School located in the High Street. Beryl's Aunt and Uncle were Manager's of a club located close to the Pavillion Cinema at Wylde Green, called the Anstey Club. The Club used to order all their cakes from Dick's which were served at dinners and dances, etc. The quality was excellent if I remember....Cream Horns and Merangues were my favourite.

The Coffee Bar that you have mentioned was called El Toro and it came
into being after the expresso coffee bars in town got going. They have been mentioned on this site before. It was very close to the Church House and the Dolcis shoe shop. It was always a squeeze to get in there. Basically, it was a residential house that had been converted. The coffee was 9d per cup and was made in the traditional espresso machines.
We all thought it was a very special scene. The music came from
a juke box which played all the hits of the time. There was an upstairs
area as well. One night in l958 I met my first serious boyfriend in there and we went out for four years. Lovely memories Alberta.

The first job i eve has was a holiday job in Tesco's in Erdington HIgh St. I used to go into t Chruchyard to eat my lunch sometimes on the gravestones.I always thought it was a fabulous Churchyard.

Great memories indeed Jennyann.
Before we married in 1961 my exhusband lived in Milverton Rd off Reservoir rd, I lived with my family in marsh lane but they then moved to Dare rd off Milverton and my sister now lives in Robin rd off Dare rd.
My sister started Fentham rd in 1956 but sat a 13+ and went to Holte Grammar(Aston Commercial).I went to Erdington grammar.
My Dad was a policeman and before he went on to the motor bikes his beat was around the roads above and occasionally the High street.
When I was 16 in 1958 I had a job as a Saturday assistant in Woolies on the High Street.

El Toro, crikey, we thought we were the bees-knees , fluorescent socks and our flatties shoes ,how modern were we.

Hi the club your thinking about was the Carlton and it was on top of Cavendish's the furniture shop, many of the top groups of the 60's played there and the Tyburn House too, El Riot and the Rebels (Moody Blues) Carl Wayne & The Vikings (The move) to name just a couple. Anyone remember Mothers at the Queens Head 6 ways?

High Street Erdington c 1930.
Replacement image - may vary from original

ADE2AC81-517E-4EA8-B996-D3368620FCB1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd seen most photos of Erdington High St, I've not seen this one.
Do you know where in the High street it was taken?

Hi Frothblower, I was given some postcard albums last year. I am trying to post as many as possible for the family of the person who gave them to me (sadley passed away). The photo was taken just below where Woolworths was or is, in the location of the trams. Sorry I have not been to Erdington for a few years. Both my brother and sister worked in shops on the high street in the 60's and 70's.

Fantastic, thank you Moma P. Yes Woolworths is still there. I wait with baited breath for more photos

Looking at that picture i would say that just out of shot on the left hand side is Church Rd that runs down the side of St Barnabas. On the right hand side is the funeral directors, just behind you as you look at the picture. Further back is Wooly's and Barnabas Rd

Bren

Yes I think you are right Bren. My sister worked in a shop next to the funeral directors and if my memory serves me right it was next to the allyway where "Mothers" "Carlton" was. I remember a little indoor market down the road next to Woolies.

Woolies is on the corner of High St/Barnabas Rd, the "Old Market" is the other end of Barabas Rd on the other side, more or less on the corner with Sutton New Rd. The market is still there and running but i have not been in there for a few years.

Bren

It's surprising that the picture of Erdington High Street before Sutton new Road was opened isn't better known, because it was one of a set published by Birmingham Public Libraries about 30 years ago I think.
Sutton New Road was opened and through traffic diverted to it from Erdington High Street on 25 September 1938. But I would agree that the picture was probably taken about 1930 from the vehicles on the street.
Peter

Village Green

Here's the Village Green, Erdington c1930

Replacement image - may vary from original

EE59DA03-5497-4E58-BE53-9B1EDDC610C4.jpeg

I never tire of looking at old photos of Erdington.
See the Night-watchman's shed and fire on the right of the Village green, You could have a good chat with them old fellows in the evening.
Poor blokes would be mugged these days!:|

Village Green, Erdington

Thanks for nice pic., Moma P.

Judging solely on the basis of one of the cars, I think the c.1930 date is a bit early. I don't believe the photograph can have been taken before 1938/39 and may even have been a little later.

Chris

View from the church tower Erdington 1900

Replacement image
2527FFF2-2D9B-43E2-8BFB-D87B6F44F5DD.jpeg

Wow! look at all that smoke,their surely must have been more carbon pumped into the atmosphere them days.

Back