• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Cinemas

Yep your right Dek The caption gives info on The Carlton becoming the Coliseum, and is alongside The Capitol.... So still no picture of the Coliseum Max

Cheers Ray, sorry to have caused confusion the attached i what i tried to upload. Max

Max I,m not sure that caption is right for that picture house. I await confirmation from someone with more Knowledge than I. Dek
Thats the Capitol Dek Alum Rock Road the caption is for the Carlton Saltley it became a cinema in 1912 with a name change to the Coliseum . Bombed during a Air Raid in 1941

The right caption Max but we all make mistakes you can't get a Red Card for it:D

Last edited:
I walked down Bristol Street from Holloway Circus, and decided to get some shots of McDonald's on the corner of Bristol Road and Lee Bank Middleway.
Built on the site of the former Bristol Cinema (ABC), which existed from 1937 - 1987, before demolition and the arrival of McDonald's on the site.

McDonald's - Bristol Road, Edgbaston - site of The Bristol Cinema (1937 - 1987) by ell brown, on Flickr

McDonald's - Bristol Road, Edgbaston - site of The Bristol Cinema (1937 - 1987) by ell brown, on Flickr

Slightly of topic but i won the Yo-Yo championship at this cinema in 1962/3. I won a Dawes Daleman push bike donated by Halfords. I have always been after a photograph of that happy day. Max

A book I've got about old Birmingham cinema's had a photo of the Bristol when it was a Cinerama! It is also on the front cover (Images of England: Birmingham Cinemas). The photo was dated 1963.

Re post 985, the Delicia Cinema was also a BBC studio and a wrestling venue many years ago, I used to maintain the telephone system during its BBC occupation when I worked for PO telephones, (later to become BT) Eric

Flash Gordon brings back memories - I used to see the original at the Saturday matinee at the Villa Cross Picture house
Nigelhls

Flash Gordon brings back memories - I used to see the original at the Saturday matinee at the Villa Cross Picture house
Nigelhls

How I loved going to the Saturday pic's to see Flash Gordon. Couldn't wait to go back the following week to see how he get's out of the trap he was always in at the end. I used to go to the Lyric which was off Summer Hill.

Used to see Flash Gordon at the Globe High St.Aston,great stuff,especially when they threw us out for causing mayhem.:rolleyes:

Cinema when it was a main feature film, followed by the news and cartoons and a second feature, normally what is now called a film noire. Some of those second feature's were actually better than the main show. Well I enjoyed them more anyway.

Back