• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where in Birmingham was this taken ??

A calculated guess (but a guess, nevertheless) is that it is turning from Birchfield Rd into Asylum Rd (or one of the side roads in the same area) en route for Summer Lane and its normal route into town. Judging by the cars parked behind it (Vauxhall Victor, Hillman Minx, Austin A40 Farina, and a Mini) the date must be early 60s, when much clearance and road alteration was happening in that area. The normal route from six ways was via Alma St to Summer Lane, the former now totally gone.

Im still no wiser Lloyd :( would that road where the bus is turning from Newtown row ??
and whats that building on the left is it being built or being demolished ??
ragga :)

Ragga I can,t get my head round this either but looking at the street lights it appears that the main road is hidden by the bus i wonder if the Barton Arms and the Hippodrome are hidden by the angle and the building on the left is the block of flats at New town although we can see stairs but no windows, Dek

Could it possibly be Aston way,where the route left the main road and went through Handsworth or am i thinking of the 90/91a

Million to one chance, but directly above the No Waiting sign but in the distance, looks like the very earliest of Indian-or was it Oriental- take-aways at least in that area during the 1950's. Stafford Street way?

or has it just turned into the bottom end of what is left of Lower Priory going up towards Old Square?

my best guess is that the 33 has turned off the high st newtown and is going along inkerman st where meets alma st..the bartons arms would be out of shot on the right of raggas pic...here is a pic looking towards the bartons from clifford st with a block of flats on the the left...failing that is the bus coming up asylum road which again met with the part of alma st that still exists...ive also posted a map of the area...just a guess mind as directions is not my strong point...:D

lyn.

I have no idea of the location of the pictures but I can say that it features one of BCT's bouncing Leyland PD2 type buses. Anyone who has traveled down Robin Hood Lane, Hall Green, in one will know exactly to what I refer: especially if sat in the rear seat on the upper deck. I was brief ride but almost as good as a fairground ride. ;)

I didn't really know the area in those days, but here is a copy of Astoness' map with the Bartons Arms marked (Red) and the original 33 route (Green).
I'm assuming Alma Street had closed and the diversion took it further along Birchfield Rd to be able to access Summer Lane.

The building seen side on looks like a cinema, there is some sort of sign high up on the front (which we can only see the side of) but I do not recognise it.

The early Indian Restaurant mentioned was the Shah Jahan, on the corner of Stafford St and Coleshill St, seen behind the bus in the other photo below.

Both Lloyd & Richie have it right. it is Dale End at the end of Cosehill St. Both the Shah Jahan and Padmores at the end of Cosehill St can be seen in the photo.

Phil

Looks to me if i think i am correct its definately coming down from the old six ways aston
passing alma st the first pic with the crane obove it is building the newtown row market precint and the tower building below the crane is the building of inkerman house and the shops below and around the block flats of inkerman house and the small building just short of th block was the workers hut building the new town commutity hall and swimming baths inside i was one of the first tennants to move into inkerman house and we was on the top floor rear of the flats over looking the crocodile factory
best wishes astonion

Thanks a lot Astonian i think you are right too , its seems to me its turning into a road
to meet up with summer lane , but i must admit with the few year i lived in aston and
newtown and being a bus spotter at the same time i never saw a 33 service take its
route via Summer Lane .
ragga :)

My best guess would be, that the bus is being diverted into Whitehouse Street from High Street Aston.Showing Hedges the chemist,the curved building in the background on the corner of Birchfield Rd and Witton Rd.Showing the reverse of pauly's picture in post #13.Moss.

Back