• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Yard of Ale

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
The Yard Of Ale ( The Tavern In The Town ) where I met me wife Cath, also and The swinging Sporron ( The Cabin ) have both closed. We had some great times in them pubs in the 70's.

That's a shame, up until a few years ago my mate was running the Yard of Ale, it always did well, do you know why it's closed?

The Yard Of Ale ( The Tavern In The Town ) where I met me wife Cath, also and The swinging Sporron ( The Cabin ) have both closed. We had some great times in them pubs in the 70's.

Come to think of it, most of my drinking venues have gone:(-
TEMPLE BAR.......................Shoe shop
TAVERN.............................Closed
MULBERRY BUSH.................Gone
CABIN................................Closed
PARISIAN...........................Gone
NORTON............................Gone
NAVIGATION......................Chineese restaurant
DUNLOP CLUB.....................Gone
BROMFORD TUBES CLUB......Gone

Just my beloved Lad In The Lane ( Old Green Man ) left:)

Quick question. What was it BEFORE it was the Yard of Ale or Teddies or Tavern in the Town. I'm thinking in the 50s and 60s?

There is no pub listed in the building before sometime beween 1967 and 1969. I think I remember the Tavern being advertised as being a "new " pub when it opened. Before it was probably a storeroom in Liittlewoods Stores bazaar, which was there before
Mike

I only mention it because I remember in the 50s 60s going to a restaurant round about there in New Street, that you had to go down some stairs to get to it. Red decor I think. Quite sizeable. Thought it might have been a well known eatery. Where am I thinking of then? How the hell should I know at my age...?

Was it a Tennessee Pancake House? there was one of those next to the Tavern but that would have been early - mid 70's I guess or I would have been too young to remember it :)
Sue

crikey froth....i didnt know the yard of ale had closed:( spent many happy hours in there in me teens when it was the tavern in the town..i remember once that my friend arranged a blind date for me with her boyfiends mate...oh dear we were only in there for an hour or so and he asked me to marry him:cry: i made my excuses to go to the loo but instead i legged it up the stairs and hot footed it home...:D:D

lyn

Last edited:
crikey froth....i didnt know the yard of ale had closed:( spent many happy hours in there in me teens when it was the tavern in the town..i remember once that my friend arranged a blind date for me with her boyfiends mate...oh dear we were only in there for an hour or so and he asked me to marry him:cry: i made my excuses to go to the loo but instead i legged it up the stairs and hot footed it home...:D:D

lyn

Blimey he had a lucky escape then

hey froth...i know you were using the tavern at the time when i was proposed to...oh gawd it wasnt you was it....:D:D

:crying::crying: im in stitches here...of course i will...think ive kept you waiting long enough for an answer

Last edited:
Back