• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Silver Blades Ice Rink

thanks for the info marie:) i did go to the silver blades a few times but it just didnt seem the same as going rollar skating at spring hill...providing im not totally past it by the time the building is complete i may give it a go...:rolleyes:

lyn

tell you what marie..maybe we could go together when it reopens...we could hold each other up:D:D

lyn

Me neither Mariew. I used to go to the Silver Blades in the 1970's. I actually still have my skates and the short skirt.

well done you maggs for hanging onto them...wish i had...just another small regret in life....

lyn

You know me Lyn a regular hoarder. Actually one of my boyfriend's bought me the skates, so there's a little bit of romance in there too.

View attachment 57709View attachment 57710Here are a couple of old photgraphs I came across.
The first is the Rusties around 1965(notice the club is still the HeartBeat,not yet Samanthas).The second a presentation to the Mohawks.I am sure some of you out there can put names to the faces.I have forgotten,but am pretty sure wilf O'Riley and Clive and Stuart Pass are on there.
Enjoy.

Hi Keegs
Nice photos, the one of the building etc brings back memories of walking up that ramp. I always thought it a bit strange having the ice rink 'upstairs' but I think some other Silver Blades ice rinks I visited were like that.
I think the Mohawks photo must be later than 1965, because I went on an 'away' trip to Berlin in 1967 and I don't recognise anyone in the photo, and although I knew about the achievements of Wilf O'Riley, I actually never met him.
My photos including the Berlin visit team are in the 'SPRING HILL ICE RINK' thread, not the 'Spring Hill Ice Rink' thread - somehow we got two threads - one upper case, one lower case !!
oldmohawk:)

Hi Keegs
Nice photos, the one of the building etc brings back memories of walking up that ramp. I always thought it a bit strange having the ice rink 'upstairs' but I think some other Silver Blades ice rinks I visited were like that.
I think the Mohawks photo must be later than 1965, because I went on an 'away' trip to Berlin in 1967 and I don't recognise anyone in the photo, and although I knew about the achievements of Wilf O'Riley, I actually never met him.
My photos including the Berlin visit team are in the 'SPRING HILL ICE RINK' thread, not the 'Spring Hill Ice Rink' thread - somehow we got two threads - one upper case, one lower case !!
oldmohawk:)
Thanks oldmohawk,I think the second picture was 1970 or 71.Stuart Pass would know,he has visited this site.Maybe he will see it and let us know sometime.

My skating fun started in 1950 and continued (minus 2 years RAF) until 1968 when I got married and decided to concentrate on work and earning money. I skated a few more times at Solihull general sessions and then put my skates up in the loft where they still remain - why I don't know....:)

come on Phil let all meet up & have a reunion skate.never liked SILVER BLADES from the day they band HOCKEY SKATES & FOR WHAT THEY DID TO THE OLD RINK!

Hi, just found this site - been great to read the threads and to re-live some of those times. Would love to get in touch with Bob (Rob) who bumped into me - and I mean that literally cos he knocked me over - he was with some other lads and I do remember one of them had the nick-name 'Lightening'. We met up for many Saturdays after that and he was getting better at staying upright on the ice! We lived too far away to meet up any other place than The Blades, but I did look forward to those meetings. Then I got a steady boyfriend and stopped going. Imagine my surprise when I went back to the Blades one Saturday night and saw that Bob had become a Red-Coat! I was so flattered that he remembered me, and we had a bit of a chat that night. He had got a girlfriend who was at the rink with him so we did not have much time to catch up. I can't remember the year we met, but I used to go with some other friends from school so could have been anytime from 1967 ish. I would have seen him again as a red-coat in 1971-72. Having read the threads, I see that the name Bob Gill is mentioned, and I wonder if that could be him. If anyone can help me, I would be grateful. Many thanks, Jan

anybody remember the talent competitions that they held on i think wed nights at silver blades, i entered and won! singing a marianne faithfull song if anyone remembers, or as any literature relating to those competitions i would love to hear from them

For people who may be interested, i walked past the old Silver blades building today 31/10/2010 and there were flashing light messages confirming that it will re-open soon ! Activities to include Ten Pin Bowling among others. Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's about time,lets hope it gets well suported.I think that the original rink & bowling alley were opend by Eric Sykes and Hattie Jaques.I hear Erics still available for re-booking.

Birmingham has a new ice rink at last the old silver blades is now under new owners & is up & ready to go even has the birmingham rockets ice hockey club.plus john curry & wilf o'riley training schools/
well done to the owners to give skating back to brum/

great news.. although rollar was more my thing.i may give it a go just to see if i can still stand up:cry::cry: does anyone happen to know the date it will be open..

lyn

Thats brilliant news, I would love to see it inside. I took the granchildren two years ago to the one in Tamworth. I fell and nearly broke my wrist. If I go it will be as a spectator.......lol

What lovely news. Do you still have your skates Keith?

Yes Di, have a look at in the garden today Dave M as given a utube link to our back garden rink last Jan; & I do still have all my skates even old ones.
Just about to get skating on the lawn again with this cold spell.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY by the way sorry its late.

Thats brilliant news, I would love to see it inside. I took the granchildren two years ago to the one in Tamworth. I fell and nearly broke my wrist. If I go it will be as a spectator.......lol

hi wend..just noticed your post...maybe we could both give it a go....we could hold each other up:D

lyn

That's a good idea Lyn:D. I think the problem was I had to hire my skates:rolleyes: I wish I was like Baron and kept mine:(.

ok wend we will sort out something for next year:D i had to hire my roller boots out too which all had numbers underneath so if i was sharpish i used to ask for that number boot...:)

lyn

Back