• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

A Piece - Sandwich

Blacksmith

master brummie
I was listening to the radio this morning and heard one of the presenters talking about having a 'piece', meaning a sandwich. He said it was a Scottish expression, but it brought back old memories of using it in our family when I was a boy, and we have no Scottish ancestry.

Did any of you use the same expression, or was it just a strange one we used.

It also got me wondering about other expressions that have gone out of favour and are no longer used. Perhaps you have some to share, because it would be interesting to see how many we have in common that we can remember.

When we ran out of dripping, we'd start on the lard, with loads of salt on....

mmmmmmmm!!!!!!! Healthy? I'm still here, ain't i? ;)

'Piece' has always been used by my family/friends/etc since i can remember.....

Oh. We had a piece of bread and dripping and lard with salt and pepper - it was very tasty. Still have a piece of Bread Pudding etc. Miriam.

When I bring fresh bread home I always to this day have a piece of jam. Loved dripping and lard when I was growing up loads of salt yummy.

we used to sit on the doorstep with a piece with brown sause,or sugar,or has been said drippin.
happy days dereklcg.

You would have a piece of anything if you was hungry.My particular favorite was on a Sunday when the cucumber,onions, and,tomatos had been soaking in vinegar ready to have with the meat that was left from dinner. I would run in and out grabbing a piece of bread and put the vinegered stuff on all soggy and lovely.By the way don,t remember washing my hands!!

My mom used to give me 'a piece' all the time. And a few years back, my husband and his buddy (and me), tracked down an old neighbour of theirs. When we got to his house he was getting his daughters fed and to bed, and asked us if we wanted 'a piece' too. So, people still use the expression. I hadn't heard it used in ages, and straight away it brought back memories of looking up at my mom as she handed me my piece.

A piece was a piece of bread with whatever was available to spread on it. I always thought it was a brummie expression.

still have a piece, but absolutely love the cucumber and onion in vinegar, we used to have it for high tea at my great aunts!!!!

still have a piece, but absolutely love the cucumber and onion in vinegar, we used to have it for high tea at my great aunts!!!!

Good grief, Sue. We must have had the same great aunts. At my great aunts, Olive and Grace, it was like stepping back in time. They always used to dress in Victorian fashion, had matching high back chairs with side wings, a lovely grandmother clock with the moon and the sun on it and yes, they always gave us cucumber in vinegar 'pieces'.

When a lad my mates uncle came from Dudley and he was always saying things like, "Er loves Er Peices" or "Er's a bugger for Er Chips"
paul

always called a sandwich a piece, and sunday was great for a 'piece of dip' (bread dipped in the joint fat and juices- never had two though, mom used to say one was enough.

No one has mentioned the other piece as in " If you don't behave yourself I will give you a piece of my tongue ". It is the only piece that I can think of that nobody would want.
Bread and Dripping.....yummm......Does it count as one of your five a day ? whatever that silly saying means.

Does anyone remember that song that said "piece a pudding hot piece a pudding cold piece a pudding in the pot nine days old"?. Jean.

Last edited:
Hi Pam I bet Alf would remember the song. I have remembered a bit more so will go back and edit it. Jean.

we had a piece of jam, a piece of dripping with salt on, a piece with a cup of oxo, couldnt beat that dripping though!

Ha!
Now I remember it
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold
Pease pudding in the pot, nine days old
Some like it hot, some like it cold
Some like it in the pot nine days old.

Pam

Back