• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Days Gone Bye The Street Crossing Was Called The Flashing Belisha
And Always Use Them When You Cross The Road Parents Would Say ,
But Today No-one Ever Uses That Word Do They -?,
We Call Them The Pelican Crossings , What Happened To The Word Terming Belisha,s Crossings
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Thanks for the link Ratbag. If I had crossed on the Belisha crossing
on Marsh Hill in l949. I would not have been run down by a car coming up the hill. I had been told never to cross the road there unless I used the crossing with the Belisha Beacon. I walked out from behind a No.11 Outer Circle bus
and was hit. Injuries ....broken wrist and a couple of mangled fingers. I have always been careful crossing roads even after all these years. I was very lucky that day in Marsh Hill...lucky that I wasn't more seriously injured or
killed. What was it on the Safety awards certificate that I received earlier regarding crossing the road.....
"Look Right, Look Left, Look Right again and if all clear cross the road"

Hi all, read all the sayings and here are a few I remember;

All around the Wrekin
Face as long as Livery Street
Up the wooden hills to Bedfordshire, daddy was the old gee gee (dad carrying me on his back up to bed!)
Its black over Bill's mothers (when it looked like rain)
It's a 5 minute walk if you run.
Cold hands warm heart
Put the horse before the cart
If the wind changes your face will stick like that
There and back to see how far it was
In answer to "what you looking at" - "I don't know the tickets fell off"
Little things please little minds - and little trousers fit little behinds.
For all the tea in china
If its and buts were bits and bobs, we'd all be chewing and cracking(!)

You Can Get It ,if You Really Want

It,s Not As Half As It Sounds

Good Things Come In Small Packages

here's a nice one,
if you and your brother's /sisters were argueing?
would be told to shut up or "I'll give you a smack around
the kisser"

you don't get diamonds as big as rocks was one of my nans sayings along with poison comes in small bottles - nan, mom and myself are, in my hubbys words "vertically challenged" and these are all sayings nan used if her height was in question:)

Re: For two pins

https://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZJfox000 My mum used this expression; I don't know if this is the correct meaning, but she once explained to me that, when on the point of being provoked, it wouldn't take much more (the two pins being basically worthless)) to react, to be thrown over the edge, as it were. I was frequently treated to: ''for two pins I'd lamp/tan your hide!''

To 'lamp' someone, probably (?) derives from 'lam' to beat/thrash someone or something ... to 'lame' etc. I recall reading about it years ago, but I can't remember the details other than it is possibly quite an ancient expression.

John, the Oxford English Dictionary confirms what you say about "lamp" and "lam" (the former "perhaps" deriving from the latter). It dates the earliest occurrence of "lam" (in the sense of "to beat") from 1595, and of "lamp" (in the same sense) from 1808.

I can remember my Grandfather promising to "lam my hide" (only in jest: he was the most gentle of men).

I'm reminded of the expression: 'on the lam' - thieves cant for being 'on the run' ... in other words, to 'beat it' .... possibly of the same root?

Re: Where have you been?

my old mother used to say and shout at us if we was up stairs ,and i have heard the expression by other people
at dinner times or any other meal times in the garden or where ever you was
the lingo was dinner s up if you want it come and get it i ain,t waiting on you lot no more or it goes cold

Astonian, that reminds me of my mother's cooking. She learnt to cook whilst away visiting a relative for a weekend, when I was eleven years old. Prior to that her cooking was dreadful! I don't know how anyone can improve so much in just a couple of days, but I shall forever be eternally grateful that she did! She could bake beautiful cakes, make beautiful puddings, but couldn't cook for toffee!

I often 'failed' to hear the cry of ''dinners up'' ... prefering to leave it a good while until it was stone cold, thus I could re-heat it unto the point of it being half-frazzled (crozzled) as it improved the taste immeasurably! Of course, this wasn't always possible, especially when I was just a little boy; I just had to sit there, chewing relentlessly/endlessly at something akin to a bit of bicycle tyre! It didn't matter what it was, Mom ruined it! I remember my father once telling me off, because I'd accused mother of stewing her corsets!

I'll never forget that first meal, Mom having been away for the weekend, it was a bloody revelation! I ate a couple of mouthfuls and stopped, I just could not believe it! I turned to my mother, who was watching me, and stammered ''thissss is beautiful!'' She gave an enigmatic smile and said ''I shouldn't say so myself, but it IS rather good''

After that, life was totally different for all of us; although I often felt sorry for my older sisters, who had by then all left home. It was a pleasure, after every meal, to say ''thanks mom, that was really lovely'' and then to see her own quiet pleasure and delight in return.

Re: Where have you been?

Do any of you use the word 'Beins' ? eg;" Beins it's still light you can stay up a while longer", " Beins I've got five bob you can go to the flicks". I use this word a lot and my kids have picked it up too, but never relised untill one of Angela's boyfriends pointed out he'd never heard it used before.

Christine :)

In full, that would be "being as" but it still doesn't make much sense

"Legging it". Just been listening to the radio and there was a short piece on "legging" i.e. when barges were "legged" through the tunnels. The horse would be walked over the tunnel and the bargemen/women would push the barge through the tunnel by lying on their backs and using their feet to push against the tunnel roof and so move the barge along. I'd already heard of the way in which barges were taken through tunnels, but hadn't realised it was called "legging it". Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back