• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Do I lIke that sign Dennis, ANY CANCE OF AN OLD "NEW STREET B1" sign becomming available?

Try the Council Storage Depots Bob. I fluked this in the 70s. But I somehow doubt they would have that gem hanging round nowadays, but would love to know what happens to old Street furniture now, as I believe it's called. I seem to remember a graveyard of old stuff like that in a space round the entrance to the M6 on the left, just as you go off the Island and join the Expressway( by Matalan). Dob't know if it's still there.

Yes Dennis the council had a yard on the corner of Brewery St and New Town Row it is now being built on.Dek

Cheers Dek. Now for another puzzler. COURT STREET YARD. Not shown on my 1901 Maps anywhere. Next to 29 High Street (Wm Pearsall's), opposite no 85 by the look of the original. Not too far from the Lamb & Lion from Census. We really need a closer map to nail this lovely looking alley...Mike?

See later posts for more pictures and story of this fascinating Yard's history...

Court House Yard High Street 1892.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis

I think I asked Mikejee to tackle this on another thread recently and I think we came to the conclusion it was located where the Times furniture building stood. If I remember rightly at ten & a half High St. I've no doubt that Mike will add something to this.

Phil

Sorry to blunder into another of your Threads Phil and Mike. I only joined in February this year, so I haven't had time to reconnoitre the full extent of this Masterpiece of a Site. I did search for Court Yard and got zip. Headmaster = "should try harder"...

Here's another old favourite I'm sure, but not posted on this thread so far I don’t think. Cannon Street. Bet there are a few tales of this favourite Passageway...one of which is mine (Post 11) on this link to the phantom Central Arcade/Yates Wine Lodge entrance in Cannon Street in the Lichfiled St thread below. Fire away lads and lasses…there must be more pics about, if only of the pubs.

These old photos feature one of the first Italian Restaurants in the City, owned and run by Camillio Biglio.

Cannon Street 1882.jpg Cannon Street 1892.jpg Cannon Street  Telegraph Office  Windsor Bar.jpg Cannon Street 1976.jpg Cannon Street 1995.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis
I can give a better answer now, as I now have access to the large scale 1889 map. Before I only had the smaller scale 1890 map, but in the earlier map the area wasn’t very clear. The old court house was given as at 28½. The larger scale map shows it much better, though doesn’t actually name it, but as the old court house is listed in directories as next to it, I don’t think there can be any doubt. It is shown in red in about the position Phil said
Mike

court_house_yard_1889.JPG

Bang on from all my Census look-ups. Opposite the Lamb & Lion. Magic. Would kill for a map set like that, but then I must have pinched almost all the good bits off the Threads already!!! Cheers.

Some great shots that would make an excellent quiz. I also remember developing my FP 4 and Pan F negs in the darkroom at work. I can still smell the fixer ( Na Thiosulphate?)! And from a Pentax...how primitive we were...got any more Bill? Thanks for promoting them Peter.

I have a few more but they are of two foundries I worked at and they are over the border in Smethwick!!

And another I found in Carl's book already mentioned in Post 188. Phillips Street in 1958. Great shot showing its proximity to the Waterstones building in High Street. .

Philips Street 1958.jpg Phillips St  Market Hall 1901.jpg

Last edited:
And a fascinating name to conjure with SPEAKING STILE WALK, Lee Bank. it was originally a field path from Holloway Head to Edgbaston and known as Echo Hill Lane. There was evidently a stile at the top of the path by Holloway Head, from which 'an exceedingly clear echo could be raised'. Later on Echo Hill Lane became Speaking Stile Walk because the stile 'spoke' when there was an echo. Thus spake Carl Chinn. Without any echo...

Speaking Stile Walk 1958.jpg Speaking Stile Walk 3.jpg

Last edited:
Found this picture of the front of House - Talbot Inn, Moat Lane. Plus a picture of another old pub the Bell in the oft mentioned Phillips Street.

Talbot.jpg Bell Iinn  Phillips St  .jpg

Last edited:
This one is a bit of a mystery that maybe mapman Mike can solve. Was there ever a Street called Art Gallery Street?

Margarert St Edmund Street.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis
Can’t find any reference to an Art Gallery St in directories, though it might well have been called that locally. Can tell you where the Crump cooperage was though , on Edmund st. The no 17 is a bit peculiar, as that portion of Edmund st is not numbered in the directories at that time, and 217 doesn’t fit in, but it can be nowhere else. It can be seen on the map marked “cooperage”, behind the art gallery , between Margaret and Congreve Streets.
In 1884 and previously it had been Lloyd & Crump. From 1888 to 1897 it was Richard Crump, and 1899-1900 it was Richard Crump & Son. By 1903 the firm had moved to Newhsll Hill. I would think he would have added “& Son” to the sign as soon as it happened, and so the picture would be between 1885 and 1898.
Mike

map_1889_edmund_st_showing_R__Crump_cooperage.JPG

The first picture I think is the subject of a Di Poppit painting that has been posted on here and the second subject has a view from a different angle that would compliment this one...about the same year. Maybe it can be found. Great shots.

Thanks to your recollection, Rupert, I have located Di Poppitt's fine 1993 watercolour "A Yard in Art Gallery Street". She had posted it on the "Made in Brum" sub-forum, but it doesn't display there for some reason. I was able to download it though, and it is attached below. Thanks Di!

Last edited:
Here are three other pictures of the far corner of Edmund Street in Dennis's second picture. Same fence...actually same as along Congreve Street on the Town Hall side. Pictures posted by other members a while ago.

Wow Rupert! I last saw No 3 at the Birmingham seen Exhibition in Gas Hall a while back. What a beauty, in fact all three are superb. Many thanks for digging them out again.

Speaking of digging outt, what about this I stumbled upon from mikejee's brilliant set of photos he took from 1969-1973 and displayed with his inimitable style, aided and abetted by Phil and Lyn I believe, on the link below; and which many of us think should be published formally for all to see in their full glory. JAKEMAN'S WALK. One of the many narrow walkways betwixt Blocks of Terraces and factory walls that abounded on our City before Armageddon. Very nostalgic..

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23229&p=355432#post355432

Jakemans Walk map 1913.jpg

Last edited:
Back