• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salisbury Transmissions, Witton

John Young

master brummie
Does anyone remember Salisbury Trans early years?
Later became GKN Axles & is Now Dana Axles, same old buildings
with new sections added over last 30-40 years.
I worked there in mid 70,s, Sparkie on Maintenance with good crew.
!st day there one of the elder Sparkies remembered my Dad, also a
Sparkie worked there in late 40,s,, He took me into a Main Sub -station, scared the pants off me, never been near 11,000 Volts before, Wow.
He showed me a strange collection of machinery, tubes, wires, bottles etc, I thiught it was an old Refridgerator in bits?
Well he said, Your Dad & Joe the Pole (Polish Army Guy?) made that.
It was a STILL & they used to make a "Polish Vodka" with it,, this chap had tried some, Very, Very Strong he said but he was only a lad then, He didn,t "Remember", only that it was used for cleaning Tar off things & reacted like Napalm near heat, Heh he switched it on & it still worked!!!
Good lads in those days, Cheers John

Does anyone remember Salisbury Trans early years?
Later became GKN Axles & is Now Dana Axles, same old buildings
with new sections added over last 30-40 years.
I worked there in mid 70,s, Sparkie on Maintenance with good crew.
!st day there one of the elder Sparkies remembered my Dad, also a
Sparkie worked there in late 40,s,, He took me into a Main Sub -station, scared the pants off me, never been near 11,000 Volts before, Wow.
He showed me a strange collection of machinery, tubes, wires, bottles etc, I thiught it was an old Refridgerator in bits?
Well he said, Your Dad & Joe the Pole (Polish Army Guy?) made that.
It was a STILL & they used to make a "Polish Vodka" with it,, this chap had tried some, Very, Very Strong he said but he was only a lad then, He didn,t "Remember", only that it was used for cleaning Tar off things & reacted like Napalm near heat, Heh he switched it on & it still worked!!!
Good lads in those days, Cheers John
Hi I worked in the toolroom upstairs from 1969-81

I was an apprentice at Salisbury from 1959 to 1963 While doing a Dip Tec in production engineering at Aston CAT (later Aston University). A Dip Tec meant 6 months in the factory and 6 months at Uni. I was the only apprentice. On occasion I went to the Hardy Spicer apprentice training school. Highlights of my time at Salisbury were axle testing high performance cars notable an Aston Martin DB 5 which I had to drive at 125mph on the M6 noting axle noise. Another was an e type jag. Salisbury made the independent rear suspension for the e type. I also remember setting Gleason hypoid gear cutters.

I was an apprentice at Salisbury from 1959 to 1963 While doing a Dip Tec in production engineering at Aston CAT (later Aston University). A Dip Tec meant 6 months in the factory and 6 months at Uni. I was the only apprentice. On occasion I went to the Hardy Spicer apprentice training school. Highlights of my time at Salisbury were axle testing high performance cars notable an Aston Martin DB 5 which I had to drive at 125mph on the M6 noting axle noise. Another was an e type jag. Salisbury made the independent rear suspension for the e type. I also remember setting Gleason hypoid gear cutters.
Hello & welcome Clive your years way before mine in 70's left GKN To Canada better $'s but Salisbury Axles won Le Mans a few times so earned it's Worldwide fame, it's now Dana Axles US Owned, good memories of the old place, worked there 3 times, after 3 other Countries lived, worked, and shirked lol

Hello Clive. I wonder if you remember my father Reg Cambray who may have overlapped with you at Salisbury? At that time he may have been in Personnel.

Martin
Sorry, I don't remember him. I recall that we apprentices were seen as the lowest of the low and hardly ever visited 'the offices'
Best wishes
Clive

Back