• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British Restaurants

Re: "British Resturants"

Any one remember the one at ELLEN KNOX MISSION HALL in TOWER ROAD ASTON.
It later became the ANNEX for UPPER THOMAS STREET SCHOOL.

There was the Vittoria Restaurant in Frederick Street. I never went there for a meal, but I did once go to an evening wedding reception in March 1967. I thought it was very posh at the time, but looking at photos now it seems a bit bare. I think it was one of the British Restaurants at one time, possibly still was in the 1960's, good fare at reasonable prices.

Shortie

HI SHORTIE
Yes yo are quite right it was a posh place 24hrs not just put up appearances for any paricular venue or funtions lunch time for the excutitives was allways full by company directors
and they was expensive i always went to the albion street cafe to grab my nosh for dinner
when i worked around the corner in electro plating firm ;
have a nice day best wishes astonion ;

Alf's memory is playing tricks if he thinks he remembers British Restaurants as late as the 1960s. The brief history is that they were set up by central government during WW2 (c 1940) partly to facilitate people going to work, as most small businesses and factories did not have their own canteen. The BRs therefore provided a nutitrious meal at virtually cost price, as the restaurants were subsidised. Central government withdrew support fairly soon after the war, but Birmingham City Council took over many of the Birmingham ones and ran them as Civic Restaurants until about the mid-1950s, when they all closed.

The British restaurant in Gooch St Balsall Heath was open in 1962 and closed that year, if you had free dinners at school you could go there with your dinner ticket in the school holidays, or to your school, i always chose the restaurant, it was opposite Conybere St and lay back of the road,i was 11 when ir closed.

I remember one in the jewellery quarter as late as 1974/75 used it quite often - remember the starched table cloths and waitresses in uniform.

I don't remember the one's in Birmingham but we had one in Petty Curry, Cambridge in the early 70's my wife and I used it regulary and good value it was too.
paul

I am writing a book on Billesley so the obvious question is , was there a British Resturant in the area, if so where was it. Thanks Pete

I grew up in or near Billesley and am pretty certain there was not one aound. In fact I am not sure that there was one in Kings Heath but not certain.

I remember one in the jewellery quarter as late as 1974/75 used it quite often - remember the starched table cloths and waitresses in uniform.

Pistonvalve,

British Restaurants (i.e those set up and subsidised by the government) did not have table cloths, starched or not, and were not waitress service. They were very basic and self service.

Old Boy

Chris,
I didn't know they were still around in the 70s.The last one I remember was Northfield c1951...chips peas and gravy was sixpence.:)
The one we used in Tower Rd.Aston was very basic,used to go there with a basin and collect your own.:rolleyes:

This is the one in the Jewellery Quarter and the building is still there.:)

British_Restaraunt_Jewellery_Quarter.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernie.
I have been told there was one in Billesley on the corner of Trittiford Rd & Braceby Avenue.
Pete

Pete, Kelly's 1949 lists a "Civic Restaurant", on Trittiford Road, no number but by Braceley Grove, not sure if thats a misspell for Braceby.

Colin

That's interesting Colin. I seem to recall a sort of canteen that supplied some local schools being there. Yes it would be a mispelling for Braceby - I used to walk along it between home and bus stop. Never knew of folk eating there but then I would have been quite young and not very interested in what adults did.

Chris,
I didn't know they were still around in the 70s.The last one I remember was Northfield c1951...
Hello Ray,

They were not around in the 1970s. I agree with Rowland (Post 39) Some of the restaurants might have been bought and run as private businesses but they were not subsidised British restaurants.

Chris. (Old Boy)

The one on the corner of Braceby would have been a single story building (pre-fabricated maybe?) on the right hand side looking towards Braceby. The alignment of the road was I think changed when the pre-fabs were removed and replaced.

Thanks all for the info, now all I need is to find a picture of it. Bernie when you say on the right hand side do you mean the same side of the road as the school or the right hand side as you enter Braceby Ave?

Hi - Opposite side to school and a low building. On right as you entered Braceby from Trittiford. As said I only recall it as a place that prepared dinners for distribution. I am pretty sure that the entrance to Bracebey was some few yards south of where it is today. I am struggling to recall if there used to be a vehicular entrance to Braceby of if it was simply pedestrian. My Dad was friends with a family name Bush (I think) who lived some way into the Pre-Fabs and I had a friend who lived pretty well straight in from Trittiford Rd but cannot for the life of me recall any names - can recall how the interior was though.

BTW - The Buildings Museum at Avoncroft is well worth a visit and not only for the preserved Brum Pre-Fab..

Back