• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Can anyone remember a club that was on or around the Coventry Road. Going from town it was one the right hand side, it may have been around the Small Heath area. I only ever went there once in the 60s.

Geoffopo I never went to the Garry Owen Club as such, so perhaps it was the Cavern Club, I remember it wasnt very big and we had to go on 2 buses to get there. It would have been about 1964.

Eddie Fewtrell did indeed own Rebecca's and Abigail's. He also owned several other places including the Bermuda Club (his first club), the Cedar Club, Boogie's and Barbarella's. In the 1970's he was considered to be Birmingham's most powerful man in 'clubland' and was a millionaire.

thanks glynis i knew someone would remember the name i also remember the exchange which is now called something completely different and is underneath the old woolworths in the pallasades

Youre absolutely correct, in fact Eddie owned 8 clubs altogether, hence the name of his last one Edwards Number 8.
His Brother Don, together with Geoff Weston - Edwards owned Faces at five ways and the Revolution in Newhall Street, which was to become Polyannas, I managed The Revolution when it First opened in the early 70's

My husband used to do the sound and lights at Abigails.
Eddie Fewtrell did indeed own Rebecca's and Abigail's. He also owned several other places including the Bermuda Club (his first club), the Cedar Club, Boogie's and Barbarella's. In the 1970's he was considered to be Birmingham's most powerful man in 'clubland' and was a millionaire.

Can't remember the name of it, but i think on the corner, like a big old house ? soho hill rings a bell .....i think the west indians took it over later
Al

Geoffopo I never went to the Garry Owen Club as such, so perhaps it was the Cavern Club, I remember it wasnt very big and we had to go on 2 buses to get there. It would have been about 1964.

i remember it well, an irish club......thre was also the Shamrock club behind the Locarno

I was out Saturday night and came into contact with a guy called Roy McLeish who was very entertaining and was good mates with Eddie, Bomber and Chris Fewtrell and told some good tales (nothing untoward). He spoke about the Monte Carlo. He was also very friendly with Pat Roach and talked about his funeral and telling of the stars who turned up with Jimmy Nail singing Danny Boy at the funeral. [Blimey if that wasnt mentioned in an article in Sunday's newspapers]. Does anyone recall Roy?

I can just about remember a guy called big H from the monty, and Don and Nancy Parsons who I knew very well, I lived just down the rd from the club in the 70's

our mom used to work in the kitchen,and my sister was a waitress when the monty first opened.I Went to help out one night when they were short staffed,The Barron Nights were appearing on that peticlular night.

Can't remember the name to be honest........but my sister ....see below ( topsyturvey) suprised me to tell me our mom and sister worked there......i just remember going there a couple of times.....

all the best

"You try and read the book, you'll see what I mean, It left me with a sore head!"

..hi.guys, some great storys,..here"..on the night out...anyone have photos of the bar-staff"...or inside...cheers,...christy.

View attachment 57757View attachment 57758View attachment 57759View attachment 57756
Found these old membership cards during a clearout today.I dont know if they have been on before but I thought they might be of interest and bring back a few memories. :cool:
pencil.png
IMGP3250.jpg

As Max says little treasures I wish I still had mine!! Thanks for posting them keegs!

I remember the Elbow room, used to pick up the regulars back in the late sixties when I worked (briefly) for Z cars Taxi's.

I used to practically 'live' in Barbarella's, and Rebeccas in 70s. Used to go with mates etc; dance all night; then when it closed, we'd all be off down the chippie before catching the last bus 50 home. I remember we came out one night and it had been snowing; I had on a velvet maxi dress (remember them) and high silver platforms, and an afro to die for! Only a short poncho and we all froze! We used to buy a copy of the Sunday Mercury to read on the bus home. Happy days!
I saw Sam & Dave, David Ruffin and all the other stars there.

I remember one particular night in the 70's (maybe about 1975/6) when we came out of Rebecca's and it had snowed; I'm fairly sure it was nearer summer than winter.
We certainly weren't dressed for it - I was wearing a short halter-neck dress, a flimsy jacket and very high heels - and we shivered at the taxi rank for ages as the queue was huge. I think everyone wanted to get home as quickly as they could.
The snow had completely gone by morning and no-one believed me at home until they read the papers!
Does anyone remember when it was exactly?

Back