• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lozells

Hi Max - Wow! you have brought back some memories to me. I used to live in Soho Avenue just a few minutes walk from Villa Road, and regularly used to go into Wrensons and Paynes doing errands for my Mom. But like Mohawk, I can't quite remember where it was. Was it on the same side as the Villa Cross and about halfway down from the Hampstead Road crossroad?

Judy

I seem to recall it was in that part, Judy - hope Max enlightens us! When I get chance I'll have a look at Keith Berry's collection, that's usually a good source of clues (and nostalgia).

If you aren't aware of it, it's at www.pbase.com/beppuu/lozells

Hi ya, Wrensons was on the other side of the road from Wilkinsons, on the corner of Barkers st and Villa road was a linen type shop, selling towels and such like, there was a tobacconists that at night had cigarette vending machines outside, a bit further down was the shoe repairers who on thinking about it was not Paynes but The Modern Shoe Repairers, then another shop (I cant remember what it was) and then Wrensons. I think there was a Foster Brothers , The Municipal Bank, a Ladies clothes shop,a Pub,a newsagents (where i also worked) and Baines cake and bread shop,then Hunters Road . Over Hunters road was Willets green grocers i cant remember the other shops after them except The Pole Star Milk Bar where my eldest sister once worked. Max

Max I went to Harry Lucas but I cant recall you. Were you there from the beginning 1958?

No i went to Harry Lucas after the head master( Mr Bull ) at Gower St suggested that we part company lol , i was only at Harry Lucas for the last 2 years before starting work in 1966. By the way there is normally a reunion each year for HL ex pupils . Max

Just had a look up in the Kellys directory 1956, and the pub i mention is The Bulls Head. Max

When i was 2, i lived in Chain Walk,just off Lozells at what was then a sweet shop at No 88. My Gt Grandparents gave the shop to my Dad when they retired. My Gt Grandma was Lozells born,17 Wilton Street.Aston Manor according to the GRO, just off Lozells Rd according to an 1880's map i have. She was Agatha Webster who married Albert Edward Gorman in Mar/Qtr 1904 .

Does anyone remember a clinic or doctors being opp the park?.I remember when it was demolished,me and my mates found some medical books there with pictures of deseases in there.A little way down opp the parkies house was a little shop.Ithink it was called Adams.

Hi ya, Wrensons was on the other side of the road from Wilkinsons, on the corner of Barkers st and Villa road was a linen type shop, selling towels and such like, there was a tobacconists that at night had cigarette vending machines outside, a bit further down was the shoe repairers who on thinking about it was not Paynes but The Modern Shoe Repairers, then another shop (I cant remember what it was) and then Wrensons. I think there was a Foster Brothers , The Municipal Bank, a Ladies clothes shop,a Pub,a newsagents (where i also worked) and Baines cake and bread shop,then Hunters Road . Over Hunters road was Willets green grocers i cant remember the other shops after them except The Pole Star Milk Bar where my eldest sister once worked. Max

I remember the linen type shop on the corner of Barkers Street and Villa Road and the tobacconists. Think there may have also been a newsagents but may be getting mixed up with the tobacconists. Then there was my Aunty's shop Junior World which used to be the British Gas Showroom. I remember there being a Foster Brothers but thought that was on the Lozells Road not Villa Road but could well be mistaken. I remember the cake shop, I'm pretty certain there was also a butchers shop. Willets was on the corner and was quite large and the guy who owned it I cannot for the life of me remember his name, but he was a very big man and a friend of my Uncle Bills who was also a rather large chap. Before you got to Willets though there was the Municiple Bank, the Bulls Head pub and a chip shop (think it was called the Chicken Inn). On the other side of the road I am sure was another ladies fashion shop possibly called Barbara's or something like that (a ladies name). My Uncle Bill was a taxi driver and owned Supreme Taxi's on Soho Road, my dad also worked there for a number of years. I remember our car having a white cat tied onto the front grill which I think all Supreme cars had a that time. No idea why.

Topsy - You are right Adams sweet shop and was directly opposite the park entrance next to a papershop. Check out the Burbury Street and Defford Road threads. Mabz

I remember Larry well - a big lad who had a Francis Barnett motor bike............. If I remember rightly, when their shop was demolished they moved to Grove Lane Handsworth?

I used to use Adam's shop on a daily basis for sweets.............. They had a 1d tray and a 2d tray. Yum, Yum. Mabz

Do you remember another shop around there somewhere that had a son named Maxi Adams. I Think my older brother used to knock about with him. It just came to my mind (WHAT BIT IS LEFT OF IT)

That sound's like a Brummy saying 'Knock about with him' If we had a new boy/girlfriend we were ' knocking it off with then'

Yes Topsyturvey, I suspected it was all a bit rude, but being a lady I never asked ha ha!!!

max..that pic on post 248 you posted...the photographer most definately would have been standing in my back garden in villa street..i scaled the wall you see on the left many many times...we came out in church street by going over that wall.....cant beleive i nearly missed this one...it even shows some of the old houses on the right...thanks max thats made my day...

lyn

Lyn.
YOU MENTION ABOUT SCALING WALLS, WHEN I LIVED IN CLIIFORD THERE WAS AN AVENUE OPP OUR HOUSE CALLED CARLTON AVE AND IF I NEEDED TO GO UP LOZELLS ST TO THE SHOP ON THE CORNER OF LOZELLS STAND GERRARD ST IT WAS A GRAT SHORT CUT. UP THE AVE OVER THE WALL DONE; TOP OF TH HILL ALMOST. NO WONDER MY LEGS ARE FULL OF SCARS.

hi topsy...we were always cliimbing in those days. wernt we....ive got a scar at the very top of my leg..its only about an inch wide but the piece of wood that went in was about 6 inches long leaving about an inch sticking out...i was only jumping off an old tree stump over a not very high fence and somehow i hit the fence and the wood went straight in...another scar on my knee from falling onto some glass. plus a few from jumping off an airaid shelter into a few feet of swarf shavings.....happy days non the less and i wouldnt swap them for all the tea in china...

lyn

did you have a shop maxwell? i recall my motherlaw mentioning your name. her name was turvey from wheeler st.

Sorry for the delay Topsyturvey, no we never did have a shop although in Brougham St our house did have a shop front,
There was of course Bullivants shop in Nechells, quite a famous shop but nothing to do with my family . Max

I used to buy many odds and ends for my bottom draw,(as it was called then) from wilkos. On pay Day on our way home from work which was Cheneys in factory rd my sisterinlaws and i would call into several shops along Lozells Rd having a bit of a spend up.

When i was about 14 ,my friend and i used to pay so much a week on a club card at M&J, So that when it was our boyfriends Birthdays or Xmas we could buy them a shirt or whatever from there.That was 1966.

Oh i remember M&Js well , i used to buy jeans from there, and on the other side of the road was Cash's were you could use your provident cheque.
Me and a mate were walking down "the Monkey run" one night and M&Js had left outside a whole rail of trousers, we knocked the door, got the owner, and he never even said thanks. Max

They were quite popular shops in the 60s Max. It was a good job it was you and your mate passing when the rail of trousers were left outside. A Good many lads would have thought Xmas had come early.

I used to buy many odds and ends for my bottom draw,(as it was called then) from wilkos. On pay Day on our way home from work which was Cheneys in factory rd my sisterinlaws and i would call into several shops along Lozells Rd having a bit of a spend up.
HI Topsy me again i do keep popping up on your blogs u say u worked at cheneys did you know fred hatten or christine hatten i think most of thier family worked there,

Back