• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

P.S.V. Badge

I have the same sort of badge,number 75675,i had this after passing my test,Then we had a white one issued by West Midlands Travel with the same number on,then when NatEx took over,another white one with a totally different number on.What it was for god only knows.

Hi Jeff, I was at Washwood Heath in 89-91. On the 28 service mostly. I don't recall you though, sorry. My name is John Chant.

I did the 28 service,small heath to great barr,And the 28e bordesley green to dyas road,I struggle to remember the names of the crews.Vaughn Pitter was on there,i only remember him,cos i bumped into him not long ago.Frank used to be behind the trap with Ron,and we had a driver there called Scud,I'm sure we all remember him.

You watch Len,they will shut other garages,and ruin,what was a great company,it's all about money nowadays and not public service.

I used to check on the no 28 in the early 1990's.

Vaughan was a likeable guy. His stepdad was an inspector at Lea Hall and I think his mom ran a florist shop. I went to his daughters christening party and tasted curried goat for the very first time! I believe Vaughan came out as a checker at one time but now has a mini supermarket somewhere or other.
Other drivers who I can remember on the 28 route include Rita Barret, John Montgomery, Scud, Colin Harrison and quite a few others whose faces I can remember but whose names I can't recall at present. Great people!
Inspectors that I can remember at that time are George Painting, Ray Allsop (if anyone knows of his whereabouts let me know as I would love to get in contact with him again), Tony Haywood, Roger Banks and Cheryl Murtagh. In the office were Brian Morrisey, Frank, Des Orr, Mark Pollack,Pat Heney and Ron Daley.

Yes, that's the formal opening in April 1955, Lord Mayor of the day in attendance.
Lea Hall replaced (and took most of the running stock of) Barford Street garage, Highgate, formerly a factory and now a polythene sales warehouse.

Does anyone know where John Montgomery is? I started at Lea Hall at the same time as him and would like to know how he is.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where John Montgomery is? I started at Lea Hall at the same time as him and would like to know how he is.

John used to live in Water Orton. I don't know the exact address or whether he still lives there.

Might be worth checking the phone book.

I lost my badge in the bus station many years ago - they weren't necessary then and so I couldn't get it replaced. It was DD 61276 if it's in anyone's collection!
I just tried to upload a photo of my dads badges but the file was apparently too big, his number was DD 58451.

If you go to your photo on your computer and right-click, hen you get the option to resize

On the buses

The conductors badges were green and the drivers were red.
I worked at Washwood Heath Bus Garage as a conductor and driver between 1965-1975. Les Linnecor.

If you go to your photo on your computer and right-click, hen you get the option to resize

I think I did it, thanks!

Attachments

• Dads badges (2).jpg
    Dads badges (2).jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 11
I lost my badge in the bus station many years ago - they weren't necessary then and so I couldn't get it replaced. It was DD 61276 if it's in anyone's collection!
You must have passed your test about the same time as me, as my badge number was DD 61216 and conductor's badge was DD 78133.

You must have passed your test about the same time as me, as my badge number was DD 61216 and conductor's badge was DD 78133.
Had to surrender mine when I moved to the north east DD52788 was then issued an AA badge. Bought a copy DD badge of a Facebook group last year including the horse shoe clip for £25. Passed my single decker test in 1966 then PCV test in 1998, slightly more difficult :)

hi when me and my brother used to go to my nans in harbern weoley castle we used to catch a bus on park lane would any body know the bus number appreciate.

hi when me and my brother used to go to my nans in harbern weoley castle we used to catch a bus on park lane would any body know the bus number appreciate.
i think the no 8 was the only bus that went down park lane but would think you would have had to catch another bus to weoley castle...hopefully someone can tell you

Lyn is correct the only bus was the number 8 that ran down Park Lane ( Inner Circle 6d for the hour round trip )

Back