• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cutler Family Bartley Green-schools-

Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family

John,
I remember that place when it was working farrier,in the early 1950s.

Hi John,

Any connection with Lye Close Farm or just a 'name' coincidence? I believe your daughter has already made contact with our History Group. We would love to learn more about the Forge and share what info. we hold.

I remember the forge from the 50's we kids at st michaels would sometimes go and stand by the fire in winter if the farrier was'nt too busy, I seem to remember him as old (I would be 5/6) grey moustache, I think glass's, I seem to remember the forge being between the old church school with the iron railings and the cafe by the tram terminus and clock, directly across the road was the butchers and a green grocer. On the bend into field lane facing the church was a hardware store with a large water tower, who also sold pets, rabbits etc. I remember them knocking down the old cottage's in adams hill and the libary being built at the top of adams hill, and behind were some old houses with plum trees and apple trees and gooseberry bushes where all the village kids would go scrumping, the village bobby lived down by the cock inn facing the prefabs. paul stacey

Dear Carol,
Could you confirm if Emma's father is Samuel Cutler (b abt 1849) and is the brother of my Catherine Cutler(b abt 1862). Also were his parents Joseph Cutler & Maria Pittman?

Hi, my name is Chris Facer and I lived in Stonehouse Grove from 1945 to 1972.There were some Cutler's who lived in Field Lane,the father was Billy Cutler [had something to do with the Football team]and his sons were Malcolm and David.I used to attend the old St Michaels by the bus terminus divided from the church by the playground.I also remember the forge ran by the Young's and the old Tower Stores.My brothers and sisters attended the old senior school [later it became a community centre ]on Adams Hill before the Secondary school was built.

chris did you know barry and carol whipps, they went with me to the old and the new st michaels, carol died from pnewmonia and was buried at the old st michaels church about 1956, mr gurney was the vicar, and we had such great christmas partys at the old "annex" next to the vicarage.
paul stacey

chris did you know barry and carol whipps, they went with me to the old and the new st michaels, carol died from pnewmonia and was buried at the old st michaels church about 1956, mr gurney was the vicar, and we had such great christmas partys at the old "annex" next to the vicarage.
paul stacey

No,I did not staret school until 1960,but I remember Mr Gurney.I have a picture of him with the choir.I also have a picture from Penny Kirk [she had an older brother Stuart ]who's dad owned Kirks Farm,of me and my class circa 1961.She lives in Essex now[still farming with her brother]and is in regular contact with Rev Gurneys daughter.When we got to a certain age we moved from the old school across the road to the annex and then all move up to the new school up Field Lane.Miss Treadwell was the head mistress,can't remember any of the other teachers.

the only farm i remember down towards the resa was Bullocks farm, I remember Miss treadwell, field lane was built up on the right hand side when i was young but not on the left they started building about 51/2 but you could walk to the bluebell woods across the fields from Hasbury road, they built the new school when I was about 6 yrs old and started building Scotland lane.

the only farm i remember down towards the resa was Bullocks farm, I remember Miss treadwell, field lane was built up on the right hand side when i was young but not on the right they started building about 51/2 but you could walk to the bluebell woods across the fields from Hasbury road, they built the new school when I was about 6 yrs old and started building Scotland lane.

I was about 9/10 years of age when we moved from the old school up to the one in Field Lane,and can remember walking down Field Lane in procession behind Miss T and the vicar [Rev.Gurney] to services held in the old St Michaels church. Mr Moss ran the post office and Brian Hudson ran the shop on the corner of Jiggins Lane.Kirks farm was on the left hand side of Scotland lane behind the annexe [shed type classrooms],one of the fields was later rented to Bartley Green football club.The old fire brigade water tower had been taken over and converted into a hardware shop,still with the water tank on top and was called the Tower Stores.I believe there is one still called that in the "new" shopping precinct.There are several old pictures on the King Edward V1 site of the church,school etc.

Hi Chris, It's been a while since I last logged on to the forum. Was really interested in all the memories you and others have posted. The name KIRK rings a bell with me but as I don't have access to my files at the moment I can't confirm which farm it was. If you say off Scotland Lane, then it could either be Bartley Farm (site of KE5W school) or Scotland Farm in Frankley Lane. Are you still in contact with Penny Kirk?
Our History Group, in conjunction with others, has finally got the go ahead to raised the profile of the old churchyard in Field lane. Work is to commence next week. (see our web site now renamed www.bgdhg.co.uk) We are keen to hear from anyone who has relatives interred on site.
We are always on the look out for memories, photos of Bartley Green and the surrounding districts to add to our archives, these are made available to members at our meetings so if anyone has something they would like to share please get in touch.

Hi,Hve spoken to my brother [who is 79 years old] and has a better memory than I have.Kirks Farm was in Genners Lane not Scotland Lane [my mistake] behind the old junior school opposite Atholl house farm,by what was called the Bog Hole.I notice on the bgdhg web site some familiar names,mainly associated with the football team.Hudson [owned the shop]Posten [2 brothers Eddie and Norman players]Townsend [player who owned a building company]I have a picture of the team with all the players on cica 1958 'ish, one of whom is my brother and my father who was then manager.Other players with well known local names are Harris and Erwin.I am only in contact with Penny Kirk via Friends Reunited and her home address in Petworth ,Essex.She sent me a photo of St Michaels junior class circa 1950 with both me and her on it,along with the names of most of the other pupils,23 in all.Pagets the ice cream people lived on the corner of Jiggins Lane and we used to help them make the ice cream in the wrought iron building at the back of their house.I also used to help the milk man [Mr Tilt] to deliver the milk on his float.
Chris

Thanks Chris for the 'memories'. We have heard of the Bog Hole before from one of our members. It caused a big of a giggle when we mentioned this to the pupils from local schools when we took them on a History Trail of the district or did an in-house presentation. Any chance we could have copy of your old school photo and football one? We did hear from descendents of the Pagett family but unfortunately have now lost touch. Our records only go up to 1945 so I don't have details of the KIRKs in Genners Lane. This is all fascinating stuff and helps to build up the social history of the district. Regards Maureen

Thanks Chris for the 'memories'. We have heard of the Bog Hole before from one of our members. It caused a big of a giggle when we mentioned this to the pupils from local schools when we took them on a History Trail of the district or did an in-house presentation. Any chance we could have copy of your old school photo and football one? We did hear from descendents of the Pagett family but unfortunately have now lost touch. Our records only go up to 1945 so I don't have details of the KIRKs in Genners Lane. This is all fascinating stuff and helps to build up the social history of the district. Regards Maureen

Hi Maureen,
Here are the 2 pictures,hope you receive them ok.The school one is from about 1950/51 when I attended the old St Michaels school that was on the other side of the playground attached to the church.Some names are missing as Penny Kirk or myself could not remember them.
Back Row left to right
......Price-Hunt, Wendy Smith Elaine Hadley ........Anne Horton Valerie Miles...........Pat Whittaker

Middle row left
Gloria.... Roy Windsor Judy LLoyd Miles Bernard Shirley Marshall

Middle row right
Penny Kirk John Taylor Marianne Parker Christopher Facer [me] Eileen Biggs

Front row
Raymond Jones Arthur Price Alan Payne Kenny Price ....Horton

The football team is from about 1958/60 and is as follows.
Back row

Jack Harris... The ref...Brian Hudson...Alan Bartlett...Derek Witherford...Eric Moss..Len Facer[jnr]...Lawrence Erwin..Len Facer [snr]...Mr.Hinton

Front row

Eddie Posten...Norman Posten...D.Lemon...Alan Hinton...Ronnie Leaning..Derek Harris

Ihope these are of some interest to you,some of the names you will know Hudson ,Posten etc but there were others that played about the same time one of whom was a Mick Townsend who owned a building company over by the Cali pub,also Billy Cutler who was on the committee.
Chris Facer

Marvellous photos Chris. What is the building in the back of the school photo, is it the cafe? We have several of the B.G.F.C. but this one is a new welcome addition. Thanks for giving the names of everyone. When our photos are on display we get a lot of interaction between the older residents. Roy Windsor is a member of the History Group so we will surprise him at some point :) Again many thanks for all the info. supplied. Maureen

Marvellous photos Chris. What is the building in the back of the school photo, is it the cafe? We have several of the B.G.F.C. but this one is a new welcome addition. Thanks for giving the names of everyone. When our photos are on display we get a lot of interaction between the older residents. Roy Windsor is a member of the History Group so we will surprise him at some point :) Again many thanks for all the info. supplied. Maureen

Maureen,
Not too sure about where this was taken,I know the cafe was between the school and the bus shelter where the no.12 terminus was opposite Hudson's shop.It used to cost me a 1p [old money] return from Stonehouse Grove to the terminus and back home.The cafe was at one time owned and run by a Mrs West who lived opposite to my mom's house in the Grove.
Regards................Chris

View attachment 57121
Hi, Just found this picture [circa 1954]of the choir at St Michaels church,it shows Mr Gurney[the vicar] and also Malcolm Cutler,the older brother of David Cutler.

chris was rollason the butchers son?

Paul, Yes he was.The other shops in Bartley Green were Moss's the post office,Hudson's owned by Brian Hudson,and Andrews shop.The boy Price lived along"the buildings"opposite the bungalow shop [owned by Phillpots] on Stonehouse Lane.Roy Windsor still lives not far from there but a bit further down towards California.Iam getting on a bit and having moved to Cornwall 28 years ago,have job recalling some names and places,but my 2 brothers give my memory a jog now and then when asked.They are both older than me as are 2 of my sisters who remember going to Tinkers Farm school by bus and attending the old school that stands in front of Adams Hill College.
Chris

Hi Chris, I have to ask - Rollason - where was the Butcher's shop? We have a note that when the school (Adams Hill) became a Mixed Junior all the older children were sent to Tinkers Farm; a school I attended in the early 50s.
Maureen

I recognise Gilbert Marshall from that photo,he lived in Romsley Rd.
Maureen,the first bus to Tinkers farm was the first day of the new term,Sept.1951...were you on it? I was.

thanks chris, yes I do remember the other shops, and the little cafe right by the old tram terminus long green shelter at the junction of cock lane and adams hill, whenever I went in there the duke box was playing one of two songs, "A white sports coat" or "sailor" and the reason for going in there was that the cafe was the only place you could get a (blue ice lollies !). I seem to remember the butchers being in the row of 3 or 4 shops which lay back facing the old st michaels school, I have a very old photo of me around 6 yrs old wearind a jacket with st michaels badge on it.
paul

Hello Paul,
We welcome all old school photos ;-) Would you be willing to post copy? I'd forgotten the row of shops facing the old school. Someone told us how the butcher chased a would be robber of the post office with a meat cleaver. Wonder if this was Rollason.
I'll answer Ray's comment here. I started Tinkers Farm in 1950 but lived in Northfield at the time.
Maureen

hello local history
I will try to down load it on to my computor but the scanner is old and sometimes black and white photos go very blurred.
regards
paul

Hi Carol My name is Allyson and i like Maureen and Mr Fin are part of Bartley Green & District History Group, I was just wondering if anybody contacted you about having a look at the photo of your Uncle Fred and your nans book as it is 100 years old. I would love to see them, would that be ok with you.
Allyson

Hi Folks,
Tracing my family tree and discovered that I 'may' have a Cutler on my mothers side. This was Lucy Cutler (although on some census i've seen Louisa written??), but she married a William Rose in approx 1887 in Hasbury Halesowen, and had four children.
Lucy Cutler, I have discovered was born in Bartley Green approx 1862 but I am unable to find anything else related to that.
From the 1871 census, I have discovered that: -
Name Lucy Cutler Age 9 Estimated Year of Birth 1862 Relationship to Head of Household Daughter Occupation Juvenile Address Bartley Green District Kings Norton, Edgbaston Parish Northfield Administrative County Worcestershire Birth Place Worcestershire Birth County Worcestershire
Bit of a long shot, but can anyone offer any advice to relatives or have any knowledge of Lucy Cutler from the Bartley Green area?

Many thanks

Hi Jason,
Lucy was the daughter of Samuel & Amelia Cutler and they lived in what were known as the Old Buildings in Adams Hill (at the junction with Jiggins Lane). At home in the 1871 census were her parents and siblings Henry aged 13 and Sarah aged 6. Also her gran Catherine Pitman. If you look on our History Group site (bgdhg.co.uk) you will see others on our Guest Book who are related.

not sure what info you require but this could be her on the 1911 census living spring hill, hasbury, halesowen

william rose 46 iron nail maker b. halesowen worc.
lucy rose 49 b. bartley green, worc.
sarah rose 23 iron nail maker 23 b. bromsgrove worc.
james henry 14 b. bromsgrove worc.

married 23 yrs . had 4 children but 1 had died

Wow - thanks for the fast response !
I will look into bdghd.co.uk and also investigate Samuel and Amelia Cutler. Thanks 'local history' and 'shera' for the responses.

Jason

Hi There
If this is of any interest Eliza Smith (nee Cutler) is my Grand Aunt through marriage. She was married to my grandfathers brother William Thomas Smith, his mother was Ellen Smith.

Chris, hope you still look at these, its been a while. Reading your last post, it sounds like you are talking about Stonehouse lane in Weoley Castle? I am trying to find some info about this area. Do you know where Brighton Cottages, Canal side were?

Back