• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tillingham Street Birmingham 11

Anne52

Does anyone know where this street is/was? I know it was there at the end of the Second World War, but I can't find it on a map!

Any information about it would be appreciated ie if it is no longer there, was it back to backs or mansions?

Any reference to the Vine or Saunders family living there would be an added bonus! Thanks.

Hi
If it was in Sparkbrook then it was at the junction of Ladypool road & Highgate road, my Mom was born there in No. 28.
It had ordinary terrace houses & some back houses (not back to backs)
It also had a factory, an off licence, a general store(old fashioned one) & also a cafe on the corner which my Mom had.
The factory was originally Parts Patent Shroud then Cantrills Cork Manufacturers.
Mrs Green ran the general store but I can't remember who had the off licence.
Other families I can remember from the street were Crook, Humpage and Fisher. The Humpage family lived in a back house & the son Geoff was Warwickshire Wicketkeeper/ batsman for many years.
I hope this helps, the street no longer exists sadly.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Hi
Thanks for your prompt reply! I imagine that this was the only Tillingham Street and it is certainly in the right area. My husband was curious as to where it would have been. He was born in Birmingham which has been the family centre for generations. He has been reading a book by his Uncle Wilf Saunders (CBE), who was in the BEF in WW2 and survived Dunkirk, along with another other uncle, Ken Rider. Uncle Wilf's Dunkirk Diary was used extensively by the BBC in their docudrama Dunkirk, first shown in 2004. The book contains details from the series. Tillingham Street was where he sent the telegram to his family in 1940, telling them he was safe and well in England. Sadly he is no longer with us. He died in July 2007, aged 87. Ken Rider was my husband's father's younger brother; Wilf married their sister Joan.
Anne Rider

Hi Anne

This will give you some idea of what the houses were like in Tillingham St, It disappeared sometime at the end of the 70's I believe I lived just around the corner in Larches St .

Phil

Sparkbrook Tillingham Street.jpg

Last edited:
Below is a map of tillingham st c 1913
Mike

map_c_1913_tillingham_st.jpg

Hi
The shop seen on the photo on the right hand side was Mrs Greens general store, where did the picture come from please.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I can't really say where the photo came from because I don't remember. I know that I must have had them for quite a while because I don't put captions directly on photos any more. I have three more here that must have all been taken at the same time I think it was King George V Silver Jubilee Celebrations.

Phil

Sparkbrook Tillingham St (2).JPG Sparkbrook Tillingham St 3 .jpg Sparkbrook Tillingham St.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks for the last photos, the lady in the wide brimmed hat on the last picture was Maudie Mott, I remember her well.
Dave

Hi
I have been talking to my Mom & Aunt who were born in Tillingham Street & they have identified several of the faces on a couple of the photos. The Horse & trap were owned & ridden by Mr & Mrs Rose & also on the picture is a Mrs Barnbrook.
On the picture of the street party are Mrs Late, Dorothy Barnbrook, Dorothy Fisher, Mrs Elsie Fisher, Rona Barnbrook, Mrs Atkins, Mr & Mrs Staight, Mrs Atkinson, Mrs Preece, Ruby Preece, Ivy Draper,Mrs Jelf, Maurice Sargent, Doug Late, Barbara & Mrs Freer,Jo Rose & My Uncle George Foster.
Considering my Mom is 93 & the pictures weren't really sharp I think she did well, let's hope someone out there is related to someone on the picture.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Hi
I have just joined as I was looking up Tillingham Street.
My uncle Ken Vine is still alive aged 94 and was born in Tillingham street in a house at the back where the midwife lived and worked. His father was Robert Vine and his mother was Ceilia. He lived there until he was about ten years old with his sister Kathleen Vine. His father was a fishmonger working for Simpsons and he fought in the first war in the Warwickshire artillery as a corporal using 25 lb guns. His fathers brother Wilfred Vine lived all his life in the area somewhere just off Durham Road married to Lily Vine.
Geoff Stollard

Does anyone know where this street is/was? I know it was there at the end of the Second World War, but I can't find it on a map!

Any information about it would be appreciated ie if it is no longer there, was it back to backs or mansions?

Any reference to the Vine or Saunders family living there would be an added bonus! Thanks.
My grandfather was Robert Vine and he lived in Tillingham Street where his two children Ken and Kathleen were born. If you have any information on the family please let me know as my uncle Ken Vine is still alive
Geoff Stollard

just a reminder that any information given about possible living people must be done via our private conversations facility and not on open forum..

thanks folks

lyn

Hi, my Mom & Dad were married in 1930 and moved into 7 Tillingham Street shortly after. I was born in 1938 and lived there until 1961.Cant say I knew anyone in the street picture but I think those are our gutter pipes on the right hand side of the picture and the people would have been about where the Crook family lived during my days.
If we were going out anywhere and I was cleaned up for the occasion I was not allowed beyond that lamppost in the background and the cnr with Turner St.
Cheers Tim

Tim. Back to our coinciding childhoods. My grandparents, Alfred & Eliza Knight lived at No 10 Tillingham St and of course I visited. I've only just come across your #14 post but prior to this I had a chance to peruse the 1939 Register which shows your folks at No 7. You, still being in the land of the living, are blanked out on the Register.
We always knew KA as 'piggy'. Last time I saw him was in '70's when we were both living in Lapworth.
Cheers. Neville

Hi Neville, a couple of queries spring to mind , did Tillingham St have a different house numbering system to what I always thought as the norm Odds one side and Evens on tuther ?
Is the 1939 Register you refer to "on line" and what is it actually as I'm not familiar with it (not unusual with me !)
So KA was a 'piggy' wonder where I got 'willy ' from, who knows?
Cheers Tim

Tim. Don't recall the house numbering system in T Street so not able to help you there.
Re the 1939 Register it was a sort of census taken prior to the second 'nastiness' starting. It shows occupants at each address, gender, date of birth, marital status and occupation. If I can work out how to attach a picture to a post I'll put the T Street copy I have on for you. Don't hold your breath though. It is available on 'Find your past', the only source that I know of. You do have to pay to view.
Neville

Tillingham St was numbered consecutively, 1,2,3,4 up one side, and then down the other side

Tim
I think back in the early 1800s, when proper street numbering was introduced, it was the most common method. then they realised there was a problem if streets were lengthened - you had to completely renumber street or put the new numbers in a block (never mind if the new houses were next to nos 1 & 2), so after a while all new streets were numbered odd one side, even the other. Then in around 1884, when a lot of new building was happening, a large number of streets, which had been numbered the old way, were renumbered odd one side, even the other. A few more were renumbered in later years, but most of it was around 1884. that still left some under the old system, but I think these were all streets which could not easily be expected to be extended as there was no space to do so.

Back