• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the barrel inn watery lane

Colin I think the yard is where my ex had his business and the pub is where we used to pop in after work. I can't for the life of me think of it's name but the Viaduct rings bells. Such a long time ago. Jean.

Jean the Viaduct was on Lawley St next to Belmont Passage directly under the first railway bridge coming from Watery Lane. Dek

Thanks Dek I daresay I had the odd pink lady in there too. Did it have the old fashioned tiled floors?. Jean.

I'm sure that I have posted these photos of Watery Lane on here before, perhaps they were among those that were lost.

Phil

SmallHeathWateryLane.jpg

Jean although i walked past it many times i never went inside i have never been much of a pub man.Dek

Jean

This is the Viaduct in Lawley Street in the shadow of the Viaduct and next door to Brown's demolition contractors yard.

Phil

VauxhallLawleyStreetTheViaductPub.jpg

Aidan

The shop you can see in the distance on the corner is a butchers on the corner of St Andrews Rd and is number 278. As the numbers are sequential I would think they run approximately 278 - 267. If you use the search facility I am sure you will find many more photos of Watery Lane on site.

Phil

I'm sure that I have posted these photos of Watery Lane on here before, perhaps they were among those that were lost.

Phil

Phil, Dont want to seem pedantic but
I'm not sure the first pic is Watery La, cant remember there being a hill. It looks more like Coventry Rd corner of Mount Pleasant to me.

col h

Believe me it is a photo of Watery Lane, I remember the location so well. Here is a photo of the corner of St Andrews Rd and Watery Lane looking in the other direction. There was no hill, it's most likely the angle the photo was taken at.

Phil

SmallHeathWateryLaneStAndrewsRd1950s.jpg

Then I'll bow to your superior age and local knowlege.
tbh I dont femember Watery Lane as it was all that well. Only place that really sticks in my mind is the Union Cold Storage building, whatever that was, and the Sailors Return !

Wasnt dsiputing your judgenment, as you know, pics in books are quite often wrongly named.

col h

Nobody knows more than myself how photos in books can be misnamed and dated wrongly. In areas that I am unsure of that can often lead to mix ups. With Watery Lane I so often tramped up there from Nechells on my way to Balsall Heath when I was a kid in the 50's that I knew the place off by heart.

Here are some more views one from almost the same point as the last, another showing Causers Café just up from St Andrews St and yet another showing The High Stool Café on the corner of Little Barr St.

Phil

SmallHeathWateryLane1963.jpg
SmallHeathWateryLaneCausersCafe.jpg

SmallHeathHighStoolCafe23WateryLane1960.jpg

Hi Phil that photo of the High Stool Cafe would that be the end wall of the Sailors Return on the R/h side just past the Telegraph Pole??? Dek

Dek

There were quite a few properties between the Sailors Return and Little Barr St. The Coachsmiths Arms and a couple of demolition yards come to mind. Here is a photo of the Sailors Return, I have a couple more photos of Watery Lane but I'm having difficulty in loading them at the moment. I'll have another go later.

Phil

SmallHeathTheSailorsReturnWateryLane1953.jpg

Jean the Viaduct was on Lawley St next to Belmont Passage directly under the first railway bridge coming from Watery Lane. Dek

I used to work for Tommy Baumber in the late sixties who had a commercial vehicle repair garage in Belmont passage, seem to remember a pub on the corner but not sure what it was called.

Hello Dek

Many thanks for that, never visited myself as I only worked in the yard for a couple of weeks then re-located to Esso Bromford lane under contract to Baumbers. Best move I ever made as after twelve months I started work for Shell Mex & BP at the new Kingsbury distribution terminal, stayed with Shell for the next 26 years then took early retirement when I was 50.
Regards
Nick

a new one to me...the barrel watery lane/kingston road dated 1956

lyn

Attachments

• Barrel Watery Lane KINGSTON RD 1956.jpg
    Barrel Watery Lane KINGSTON RD 1956.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 142
Back