• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Handsworth Technical School

Plowright rings a bell but like Diamond not loud enough to flesh out a picture. Was his subject Chemestry?

Hi and a belated welcome Mohawk; Great to read your posts and hear of the old masters who survived the move. I think you are the only one who posted news of Plowright whose name I remember so well but have utterly failed to put a face to or a subject. Now since he's probably been long cleaning the great blackboard in the sky , and we are too long in the tooth to fear detention, how about giving us a "thumbnail sketch" of his appearance and character. I'd love to be able to recall him clearly ( and the other old boys here may enjoy a chuckle too !)

Thanks Diamond for the welcome, and it's great to make contact with you. I'm only too happy to paint a picture of Harry Plowright; I think he's about the only one I can say I remember with affection.

Firstly though, Mike and Rupert, Shelldrake (Bombduck) in my time was teaching physics only, though of course he may have done chemistry earlier in his career. I'm thankful he didn't when I was there, as I loved the subject and I have to say it was a toss-up between him and R Day (also physics) as to which of them was the most boring! Storr (nickname Percy, since he assured us that was the name of his cane) was my first chemistry guy, he left in 1967.

Right, to Harry. Harry W Plowright (HWP) taught English. He was around 6 feet tall, slim build, had black hair (streaked with grey in my time) and a moustache. He was softly-spoken (most of the time).
He was the epitome of firm but fair. We didn't mess with him, but this was largely borne of respect, not fear. I never knew him hit anyone (but for the exceptions I'll come to), no ear-clipping in class or cracks round the head with books, etc. He told us he'd never given 20 out of 20 as a mark for essays, and had only given 19 on a few occasions. I once, and only once, got 18. I was walking on air for days!

I only knew him 'lose it' twice. He really laid into one lad as we queued in a corridor one day. I think this was because he called HWP a b****rd, under his breath. The other time was when some idiot put chewing-gum on HWP's chair which he obligingly sat on, ruining his trousers. The miscreant got caned by HWP (the only time anyone had known him do that) but there was no sympathy for him, except among his cronies, as the general feeling was that no master deserved such a thing less than HWP.

He told us he'd started his working life as a journalist, and had served in the RAF during the war. I think the best way I can help to conjure-up a vision of him is to say think Anthony Eden as he was in the 1940s.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (161), he was a buddy of E B Poole (geography, not sure if he went back to the days of the old premises), they either walked home together or went in HWP's two-tone Hillman Minx (red and white, reg no. 68 FOE).

He had a couple of catchphrases: too much hubub would be countered with 'Pipedown', while any background muttering would be met with 'If you've got anything to say, I'll hear it' Though a mate of mine and I (very quietly) derided this with 'obviously you will', we knew he meant otherwise. If he's watching, I hope he approves of my insertion of a comma in the quote!

I also recall that, knowing my love of chemistry, he very kindly gave me a box of chemicals his son had used when he too had a home-lab. Imagine what 'elf an safety' would make of that now!

Well, I hope this helps. I am happy to provide more so let's keep it going, lads! Regards to all, Mohawk.

Last edited:
Mr Plowright bless him, dark haired with glasses, taught english and walked home with Mr Poole (geography master) every day. I believe they both lived in Cherry Orchard road. Both carried sagging brown briefcases and chatted incessantly on the way home.

I thought he was a good teacher but could be distracted by talking about Lancaster bombers in the war (which he may have flown, he certainly was part of the crew..memory fails here) I cannot remember him losing his temper but there seems to be a lot of thing I can't remember these days.

I have though recalled the name of the third PE teacher, Mr Winder (pronounced as in tinder)

One of my fond memories are of sitting in E14 and doing technical drawing whilst surreptitiously watching the girls of Cardinal Newman (I think that was the school) playng hockey and rounders. Its a wonder I ever passed that O level

Yes Jim, I'd forgotten to mention the glasses in my description of HWP. I remember the briefcases, he and Poole also had identical brown macs which made them look like a pair of bookends! He never mentioned being on Lancs in the war, I only wish he had, but I'm glad you've filled in that gap in my knowledge of him. I thought of getting in touch with him after I left but never did, something I've always regretted. Poole did indeed live in Cherry Orchard Rd but HWP resided in nearby Ebley Rd.

The Roman Catholic (mixed) school you mentioned was Blessed John Wall, the building was identical in appearance to HTS and was absorbed (without the RC contingent) into what became Hamstead Hall Comprehensive when HTS disappeared in 1973.

I presume you were taught TD by Mr Follet. I recall him spending much of the time jingling the loose change in his pocket and seemingly not being too bothered. This was just as well for me since everything I attempted to draw looked as if it had been sat on.

Mr Winder must have left before I started in 1965 (great nickname potential there, methinks!) as it was Fred Stokes and Jack Ball who tortured us.

Hi everyone, was at HTS 63-69. Wow have thoroughly enjoyed the thread, bringing back all those memories and names. Remember being frightened of
"Joe" Emmerson and hating Drake. Plowright(english) was ok.I seem to remember his son was actually a playwright and wrote a few tv plays. Its difficult
not to thinkf of those days whenever I hear any 60's music.

Hiya, Charl2nd, a very warm welcome. It's great to hear from you, especially as you overlap my time at HTS (65-70).
I laughed when I saw who you thought was ok and who you were scared of and hated. I guess if we took a poll it'd be a case of 'and so say all of us' ! I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread and look forward to hearing more from you. There's a few masters I've not mentioned as yet, mainly because only Jim7551 and I would remember them, so I'll get thinking.

Who was your form-master?

Regards, Mohawk.

P.S. I know what you mean about the music.

Thanks Mohawk, the only form master I can remember having was Poole. He could never get my name right as my surname is oneill and he used to shorten it to neill. Another teacher who I felt quite intimidated by was a youngish german teacher whos name escapes me but I remember him being quite ferocious and I know I was not the only who felt that way. Dont know if you were there during the "land yacht" era which made it to national television. I remember being interviewed by a presenter even though my total contribution was to help sand down the rustty frame!
Further memories will be forthcoming now that the pot has been stirred, a bit like the glue pot that always seemed to be bubbling away in the woodwork room, I can smell it now.

regards

Great stuff, Charl. I'm guessing that the German master you refer to was Dorman (predictably enough nicknamed 'Dormouse'): tallish, black hair and black thick-rimmed glasses. He was my joint form-master when I started, sharing the job with Bedford; I think both of them were fairly new to the school. I hated Dorman, he was most things a teacher shouldn't be; vindictive, mostly. Once he took a dislike to you, you had no chance. I always said he'd have been better joining the Gestapo. In years 2-5 I got lucky and had Harry Plowright as FM. The only other one that fits (another unpleasant character) was, oddly enough, named Neale; bit older than Dormouse, tubby, fair-haired.
I certainly recall the land-yacht, it was always parked in the hall and many a ticking-off was issued when anyone went too close to it, or dared to sit in it. I have a mate who was with me all through the HTS years (he's the only one I'm still in touch with, but he's not on the net) and I told him about your joining the forum and what you'd said. He remembered the tv thing and said he thought it was Nationwide. I have only vague memories of it. We often talk of those days but we hadn't mentioned the land-yacht for many years.
As soon as I read 'glue-pot' in your post, I, too, could smell it! It was always on the go, being surrounded by a water-jacket, and everything within a foot-radius of it was sticky. Animal glue isn't the nicest of odours.

A few names to conjure with that haven't yet been mentioned on the thread (and may only be recalled by us latecomers): DAVIES (GEOG), BATTS (MATHS), I'ANSON [himself a former HTS pupil] and SKELDING (WOODWORK), FISHER and FISHER (METALWORK), RAY COXON (MUSIC), HAMILTON (ART), JENNY HUGHES later ADAMS-HUGHES (GERMAN and FRENCH), PAGEL (GERMAN), STEVE GATELEY (CHEMISTRY), RUDKIN (R.E.), THOMPSON (FRENCH and GERMAN), MISS THOMAS (SECRETARY). I may yet think of more.
When I started, the head boy was Poultney, one of his sidekicks was Green. They and their clan were called 'deefs' , shorthand for defects, to rhyme with prefects.
Do you remember a lad named Graham Stokes? He was killed by a landslide while playing in a quarry. I think this was about 1967 and he was about 14.

Well, there's a bit to be going on with!

Regards, Mohawk.

Last edited:
I was going to say that you did not make the height gauge but there it is at the back, anvil man. You must have cast the little aluminum anvil as well hence your name. I was a year after you and finished in 55 (took the third year). I can't remember making so many metalwork projects though. Anyway you must be very familiar with the term 'pale straw'.

hi

Yes some of those items I remember making them in the Huge Metal work centre
at Goldshill Road.They seem to be items I remember there doing my Day release and
Night School in the late 50's early 60's. They had some large machines in there.
Boulton Road metalwork centre was much smaller.

Mike Jenks

Hi Anvil man,
I have at least 3 of those tools in your picture, still in my tool cabinet, made between 1956-1958. and they are all usable today.
and my Anvils are on display on a shelf in my (ex) office.
Happy days.

goffy

I thought you would like to see some metal work items which I made between 1951 and 1953.

Very impressive, Anvil man. Never did get on with messing with metal, If I was named after my efforts I wouldn't be 'Mohawk', I'd be 'What the hell's that?'

hi

My Anvil was made at the New School in 1958. I can remember it today. The hours spent making
the wooden pattens then the excitment of pourinr the Aluminium into the sand Mould.

Mike Jenks

Thanks for the nostalgic picture Anvilman, but Rupert's mention of "pale straw" prompts me to ask whatever happened to your centre punch? The tin box is a stranger to me ('53-'56). The first thing we made was a name plate, top and bottom to be flat and parallel, ends truely semi circular, finally spoilt by higgledy-piggledy letter stamping. Happy days !

Thanks for the nostalgic picture Anvilman, but Rupert's mention of "pale straw" prompts me to ask whatever happened to your centre punch? The tin box is a stranger to me ('53-'56). The first thing we made was a name plate, top and bottom to be flat and parallel, ends truely semi circular, finally spoilt by higgledy-piggledy letter stamping. Happy days !
I say you senior chaps, would you mind explaining to this young whippersnapper what 'pale straw' means in a metalworking context? It is a widely-used term in the paint industry to describe the colour of some resins, I've not heard it used for anything else so I am intrigued!

Back to the class room

The table opposite shows the temperatures and the associated colours required when tempering steel for particular uses. For instance, when making wood turning tools, they must be heated to a brown colour, whilst tempering.
heatt7.gif

Good on yer Mike! I'm a knowledge hound, I just can't help myself. Seriously, I really do find that interesting, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Regards, Mohawk.

My time at H.T.S lasted from Jan 1951 to Dec 1953. Normally this would have been for a 2 yr period but during my time there a "third year" commenced to enable study for 'O' level exams.
The "Outer Circle" bus from Selly Oak was used to get me to either Boulton Rd or Soho Rd depending on the daily school timetable. In the early days of travel plastic tokens were issued, then bus passes and finally personal cash, reimbursed by the Council via cheque to parents. Paying cash often meant, by dodging the conductor, I would have money to buy those delicious penny bread and tomato dips in a small cafe near to Boulton Rd or on the Soho Rd a penny "dripping" cake. Once or twice whilst passing Winson Green prison a notice of hanging would be displayed on the main door.
Often from the rear bus window I would see the dreaded "Ozzie" on his cycle puffing on his regular Woodbine. It was he, I am sure, who put me off for life the works of Shakespeare and serious writers.
New arrivals at Boulton Rd were often thrown down a stair well, from playground to main exit, and "bombed" with paper bags filled with water. The only play area at Golds Hill Rd was on top of the gym. This had 8ft netting around the parapet which meant a game of football was possible. Otherwise the likes of cricket and football during school lessons were on playing fields near to Perry Bar! Likewise swimming lessons were at a council pool some considerable walk away. Needless to say the water was extremely cold.
The school had the usual "Houses" namely Watt, Boulton, Murdock and Faraday but seemed quite insignificant throughout the year except for school sports day.
School dinners at Golds Hill Rd were "bussed" in from some central cook home, served and eaten on slightly sloping desks in classrooms either side of the Headmaster's office. A regular meal consisted of diced beetroot, mashed potato, boiled ham with parsley sauce. Strangely this is still a favourite of mine!
Ozzie Osbourne took English without any emotion whatsoever. Did any of us pupils ever understand exactly what a main clause was in a selected paragraph? Willy Wetton was OK at history but liked dishing out the homework. The teacher of electric science wore a buff lab coat upon which certain individuals would flick their fountain pens issuing streams of ink onto it. Eventually someone caught his ear with a splash of ink which caused some outrage! Mr Stokes and Mr Ball were the gym teachers but could never get everyone into the showers after a lesson. Who wanted a tepid shower?
In hindsight it must be stated that Golds Hill Road School was a lovely building but was sadly surrounded by many sheds in which classes such as engineering drawing, metal work, wood work and a cycle shed were sited.
As we all know metal work was to a very high standard, pieces of which I have presented on my site. I was naturally very disappointed that my anvil pattern failed to produce a sound aluminium carting. The cast suffered from massive shrinkage and was melted down for the following individual. Only one attempt was allowed.
I cannot bring to mind any really happy teacher, all seemed intent on driving home their subject. Even the headmaster Mr Bryant moped around the school like a miserable little stoat - not ever a word or acknowledgement between pupil and he.
However, my time at H.T.S. was an experience I would not have missed and would readily do again.

Hi Anvil Man,
Your post revives the old memories again, it was quite a school as the thread is now past 200 replies.
I left just before you started. I never noticed 'water bombing' at Boulton Rd but have confessed in earlier posts to doing it from the attic at Goldshill Rd. It seems to have been a 'technical' prank unique to HTS. I've just looked at the photo of your metal work items and am most impressed.
oldmohawk

Thanks AM. Interesting stuff. Lardy cakes - yum! Not so fond of beetroot. By the way, there were 3 executions at Winson Green Prison during the time you mention. Details for anyone interested in that grisly subject are at www.capitalpunishment.org

Yes, senior Mohawk, the thread's going well - long may it do so. I just wish someone who left after me would come in - I'm fed up with being the 'fag'!

The one constant seems to be the unholy trinity of Ozzie, Woodbines, and a certain bicycle.

I just wish someone who left after me would come in - I'm fed up with being the 'fag'!

The one constant seems to be the unholy trinity of Ozzie, Woodbines, and a certain bicycle.
Is there anyone who left after you? When did the school finish as a technical school?

Only a few hundred, Mike! It went comprehensive in 1973 (I was 1965-1970) and became Hamstead Hall Comprehensive. Small world that it is, a mate of mine (we were in the same form) rents a flat in Rednal, the cleaner who goes to his block was at HTS till, I think, 1974. My mate's not on the net, but I've told him to tell the other guy about this forum. He may, however, not relish the prospect of being thrown down the stairs and water-bombed.

Confession - When I left Handsworth Tech I didn't hand in the Mathematical Tables book shown below. Someone named T.J.A. Reading had it before me and there is another name crossed out. I didn't cause the large ink blot on it.
One of my uncles bought me a Biro (early ball point pen) which was a novelty but the ink tended to smudge, and Ozzie nearly exploded when I used it for my English homework - had to rewrite it with proper pen and ink.
It's funny how I've kept the book for 60 years - don't know why !
I've just looked inside the book at logarithms and antilogarithms and can't work out how we used them.
Just think - Spitfires were probably designed using log tables and slide rules !
Logtables.jpg

LOVE IT!

Well, OM, guess who else didn't hand back his 'Logarithms and Other Tables' book? Mine also has ink stains, but not as extensive as yours. I thought it would come in useful; when I started work, slide rule rules were as high-tech as it got, or those things that looked like mini-telescopes.

Use of biros was still strictly verboten (see, I can remember some German) when I left in 1970, though we were allowed to use them in our prep books. I think Ozzie mourned the passing of the quill. I'm laughing now just picturing the riot act being read to you for that! I couldn't help but think of him when I saw a master reluctantly giving a pupil a brand new exercise book in the TV adaptation of 'To Serve Them All My Days'. I bet he regaled them all in the staff room with the tale of your impudence; what's the world coming to, etc!

Mike, we had one at Craythorne Avenue; I doubt it was the same one as it didn't appear till about 1967, and did so amidst great fanfare.

Do you remember the giant slide rule at Boulton Road.
Hello Mike,
I can't remember a giant slide rule, where was it ? I've just been wandering on Streetview (not looking for the slide rule) and see the school still appears to be there - now called 'Matthew Boulton'.

Back