• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Hi mossg

Dek had already come up with that bit of information, but as I said to him I remember discussing it on another thread and that is the one that I couldn't find. But thanks for your interest.

Amanda,

The statue was installed in 1959, and I think the paper that reported on this would have been the Birmingham Evening Despatch who ran a story on the 14th of Setember 1960 about this statue. I don't know if this would be the story that included your photo but it might be worth trying the Central Library to see if they have a copy.

Dek when our crowd hung about outside the Community Centre they used to tell us to "Go away" only not so nicely. Some community spirit.

Phil

Phil i hope it wasn,t me giving you all those special hand signals from inside i was there most nights of the week till i found the Station over the road. Dek

Richie

What a great little piece of film, it brought shivers to my spine. I for one think it is in the right place anyway.

Phil

This is from Saltley Duddeston and Nechells by Maria Twist ISBN 0-7524-2279-0

Both books mentioned have a wealth of Photographs.
I always think that its a pity they did not come into print sooner.

GER22VAN. That photo you put up of Loxton Street School (#1896), is, by far, the best I have seen on the site. That means a heck of a lot to me. Many,many thanks for bothering to post it. Not only is it a good, clear picture of the school, but also 3 of the 4 blocks. Theres High Tower, Queens Tower, and Home Tower. I imagine the photo was taken from South Tower. Once again, thanks my friend for this. Barry.

GER22VAN.up and down that st clements hill fetching coke all day for a few bob. seen it got the tee shirt. peter martin

Dunlop bought a fleet of them three wheel scammel (things) i can remember them in the 50s, in rupert st crossing over avenue rd.

peter

British Road Services or whatever they were named also had a fleet I seem to remember Peter

i dont fancy trying to drive one around here,the lanes have a ruts ,you would not go in a straight line lol

Ernie

Many thanks for the photo of St James Sunday School, it brought back many memories of going there on Sunday evenings for a "bring your own plate and mug" dinner. Probably the best dinner of the week. Before they demolished it, us kids as usual had the run of the place. Whilst searching what had left behind I found a magnificent copy of Milton's Paradise Lost. It was covered in gold leaf and had loads of photographic plates of paintings depicting scenes from the book.

I also found a miniature wooden pump organ, which itself was another thing of beauty, but of course over the years they both disappeared into the mists of time. The final thing I remember about the site was a friend of the family bought an old ford popular car and because it was not taxed or insured he parked it on the site of the then demolished Sunday School. Coming home one night from the Raven on Great Lister St he discovered the car had been rolled over on to its side. After it had been righted he lost interest in it, so we kids played in it for at least 12 months until it was taken away for scrap.

Phil

Re: LMS Railway Goods Depot.

I hope I am not to late to comment on the Photograph of the old stables in Rocky Lane, I used to live round the corner in Rupert Street, opposite the entrance to the stables and remember very well the the horse drawn waggons entering and leaving, also the scraping of horses hooves during the night
I did post a comment on the Aston Goods Depot site, but being very new to these forums I am not sure if I am replying correctly.
Regards Reg the "Roverman"

Hi Roverman

Of course you must be doing things right, because if I can read your comments then so can everybody else.

I think we have several member of this site who have connections to Rupert St. Don't be put off if no one replies to a comment you have made. It does not mean that nobody has read or noted your comments. It just means that that they have no reply at the moment to the comments you have made.

Just persevere and continue to comment, and I'm sure that you will raise an issue that peaks someones interest or raises a memory. Don't ever think that all comments made on this site are not valued as worthwhile contributions.

Phil

Re: Bloomsbury Street Police Station.

My Grand father was a P.C. At Bloomsbury Street in the very early 1900's, I have photograph taken inside the Police Station of a Group of Police Officers,I would like to post it but I am very new to computing and I don't know how.
Reg the Roverman

Hello Roverman don,t worry about whether your doing right or wrong we all learn by our mistakes i,ve only been on the computer 12 months and it,s suprising how quickly you pick it up. I had a few dealings with the coppers at Bloomsbury St as a youngster nothing major just tellings off and clips round the ears kept me on the straight and narrow though. it,s nice to get a new local on the forum i lived down the Vauxhall Rd till i left in 1967 i watched the whole area disappear at the time i thought nothing of it in truth i was glad to get out of there now i,m hankering for the old end as i get older.Dek

Roverman. As Phil & Dek have said, dont be afraid to post something fearing that you wont get a reply. You are amongst a great many new friends here, and someone one day will see your posts, and if they feel its relevent, they will respond. You will get great joy and pleasure from this site, so stick at it, and above all else, ENJOY.

I lived at no 72 Willis street which was down the road from a sweet/grocery shop We called her Nanny rose . She had a very large Black chow . I think this was around 1961,2 and 3. Charly Taronis scrap yard was also in Willis street too . I dont remember but I went to Infant school down the bottom not frar from St Mathews . I have vague memories of a Bomb peck dwon there where we used to play . All very vague tho . No 72 backed on to a courtyard where we shard toilet and brewhouse with the people in the Yard .No Bathroom of course :)
Regards Jean

Hi Folk,
Thanks for your encouragement, I am really enjoying these trips down "Memory Lane". I lived in Rupert Street until 1940 then was evacuated to near Litchfield for about eighteen months then my mother and father got a house in Bridge Road Alum Rock.When I was living there I went to Leigh Road School, Washwood Heath,
My Grand Parents on my fathers side lived in Rupert Street, on my mothers side at Trevor Street. When my mother and father were first married they lived at 2/95 Willis Street, so I think I qualify as a "True Brummie" although I must admit I left to try and find my fortune in the "Big City" or "The Smoke" as it is sometimes called and now I have lived in the wilds of Lincolnshire for the last eleven years, so now I am returning to my roots via these great forums.
Regards to all, Reg the "Roverman

Catsclaws. You have mentioned something that I remember. That being the sweet shop that you called Nanny Rose. I believe this to be the same family that had a son named Arthur, who I was mates with. Its the bit about the black Chow that did it. I used to love that big dog of theirs, and I always hid a desire to have one of my own. About 5 years ago, my wife surprised me at Christmas, by presenting me with a Chow of my own. Hes called Sam, and hes big and black, just like the one I recall from the shop. So thanks for bringing this up. And if Arthur should, by any chance, be reading this, then get in touch mate.

Hi Catsclaws

You must have lived quite close to the washing baths which were on the corner of Francis St. I lived in Francis St from about 1953 to about 1963. I remember rose's grocery shop. Where my mother used to get her shopping during the week on tick until Friday. Across the road from the Saturday entrance for the kids matinée at the Ashted Cinema and next door to the newsagents.

Phil

Roverman. POST 12903 It was only some years ago that I saw those windows in Rocky Lane and realised they were the windows of the stables so I just had to take a photograph of them. So sad that its all of a bygone time.

Hi Bazz
Wow what a small world . Im so glad you came back at me with that one because being about 6 years old at the time I always wondered if I had imagined it . I remember having a mars bar bought me and it was too big to go in my hand . I used to sit on her step with my pram waiting for mum to come out .
Do you remember the car scrap yard too ? We used to sneak 8in there to play and get very oily .
I'm not sure if that Chow was big but to me it was bigger than a lion !! It was a big softy wasn't it . What was his name ??
Have you got a piccy of your Sam Id love to see one .
Best Wishes Jean xx

Catclaws. I well remember around that area, Taronis up that wide yard along the same side as the Ashted picture house only more towards Lupin Street.

Back