• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Michaels RC School Floodgate Street

Hello Maureen - I posted a lengthy reply to your thread but I'm not sure you got it and foolishly I didnt save it so I could kick myself! I have asked the webmaster of the site for reassurance it has not been lost.

I did ask in that reply for your maiden name but if I'd looked a bit closer at your post I'd see that you included it.

I remember the name but cannot put a face to Maureen Hodgetts and maybe you'll feel the same way about me! Have you by any chance got a photo?

I note that you married a Sinicola. No sorry I dont know anything about them but its sounds possibly Italian. Did he by any chance go to St Michaels?

My real name is not Moyles, its Haran

You may prefer to contact me at my email address which is: [email protected]

Regards

Brian

Brian How can you not remember me. I am heart broken.

I do have some old photographs but will take a time to sort out.

yes I married into an Italian family but no he did not go to St. Michaels he lived in the posh part of birningham. It was then Sheldon near the airport.

No I did not see your first reply, but am so excited to hear from you today

Did you used to live off the Stratford Road?

maureenxx

St. Michaels is still there or was a few years ago,I went to a talk by Carl Chinn there.
I remember it from the late 40s.good boxing club,can't remember if they ever beat our school,Upper Thomas St.though.

I think you may see some photos of the Kelly brother on the Lucas Memories site

www.lucasmemories.co.uk

If you go on to the site click on Formans Road on the menu on the left, and then click the Sports Gallery

Jackie

hi mr t,. i had to go on for 12,more months, when the sch closed, we had to walk from st martins flats to bolton rd, my sister would have been in your year she left in 1976, jackie, i still see mr winston[dermot]. now & again on our travels, do you know what happened to [michael glennon] he was out of my glass, a few have passed away from my year of leaving 1977, do you have any fotos from school, i never remember any photos, being taken of us do you, like school fotos, like they have today?[ unless our parents hid them? from us? did you have a sister in my year it begins, with a K.. take care,..regards,... christy,....

A friend of mine went to st micks I think it would have been in the 50s his nick name was Banger given name Brian cant recall last name ..must be haveing senior moment oh I think its Cunningham.
Jean N

Hi Christy

I never went to St Michael's School, I run a web site Lucas Memories and there was names that came up the Kelly brothers I though there maybe photos on my web site that was the kelly brothers that went to St Michael's so I put a message on for the person to check the web site to see if it was the same Kelly brother

Jackie

www.lucasmemories.co.uk

hi,jackie hill, there was 3-4, kelly bro. in st michaels, in the 1970,s, i went on a trip to glasgow with james, a few moons ago, i am sure my pop has a foto of this? i will ask him,o,k. is there any fotos of pupils at st michaels anywhere? take care....christy.

hi,jean there was a tony nesbitt in my class,any relation to you? there was a billy cunnningham married a lady called betty, ok all the best,....christy...

I attended St Michael's 1954/55. I transferred from St Catherine's with the rest of the senior class as they ran out of room at St Catherine's. We brought a bunch of good boxers with us which made Mr McCoy pretty happy. I thought in general it was a well run school and better organized than St Catherine's. I remember them teaching dancing once a week during the lunch period which the pupils liked because at that time the boys and girls were classed in separate areas of the school. Our main teacher was named Nickerson (sp) I know his uncle was a senior priest at St Cahterines. I moved to Canada in 1955 and then moved to the United States in the mid 70's. i get back to B'ham every once in a while and have visited the school. It was amazing to me how little the building had changed. I could still see the anchors in the wall were used for erecting the boxing ring and the stage they put together for the Christmas play. Which was quite well presented. Also my older brother John (Jack) Hughes attended St Michael's in the early 50'. I was surprised to find a site for the school and enjoyed the few comments that had been submitted. I have a lot of memories of the school and names etc,but don't want to overdo the message. Edwin Hughes, Chicago, Illinois

Hello

I went to St Michaels I left in 1965.

I remember Joe Parker and not with fond memories. He taught us French and was constantly having a drink from a hip flask which he said was "cough medicine"
Mr Halsay took us for Geography he was a gentle giant really.

Did Miss Bently take the girls for PE?
I have such happy memories of my years there.

In my year were
Lizzie Skillen
Pat Casey
Maureen Rooney
Matthew Dolan
John Clements
Susan McCoy
Joseph Pender
Tony Joyce
Mary Keenan ( her sister used to teach Irish Dancing)

do you remember having to walk upto st Anne's church on Friday's for Benediction and the Latin masses in the hall . Oh how sore my knees were.
Was Mr Odonal the teacher who always smelt of TCP?

Maureenxx

My uncles name is Matthew Dolan...I wonder if its the same guy. Timeline would be about right too. My Mum and aunt also went there, but left much earlier, as they are 10 and 12 years older than their brother. My Mums name is Kathleen and her sister is called Ann....obviously they were both called Dolan too back then. Anyone remember them?

I was also at St Michaels [1950s/1955 aug]
I remember Mr Parker [he caned me on many occation.
McCoy [headmaster] and Mrs. McCabe, [I was in her class].
Never a boxer, but I did have one bout with a tough lad called
Mickey Whelan [does anybody recall him]?
Names have seemed to have been erased of Micks, only one I
remember was a DECLAN TROY.
By the way my name is Julian Alcock, I came to live with my
late sister JUNE HOSEY in Barford St. [on the death of my parents].
I was not a Catholic but I got in the school because my new
friends went there [I spent 6/8 months at Hope St. school.
Life was tough, but I survived, now retired, living with Judy my
wife of 38 years.
friends went there.

My uncles name is Matthew Dolan...I wonder if its the same guy. Timeline would be about right too. My Mum and aunt also went there, but left much earlier, as they are 10 and 12 years older than their brother. My Mums name is Kathleen and her sister is called Ann....obviously they were both called Dolan too back then. Anyone remember them?

Hello Brummiel

I canot recall your mom or aunt but if they are 10+ years older maybe I wouldn't.

Maybe you could ask your uncle if he remembers Maureen Hodgetts ( my maiden name )

Take care

Maureen

hi,guys. my mom went to this sch around 53-6, her name then was astrid newman, everyone called her maureen, she was friends, with annabella goodchild.. i went there from 1972-5. good times, my teacher was a miss healy....cheers..all the best...christy..

Trying to locate the whereabouts of Sean and Patrick Gaynor, twins who went to St Michaels in the late sixties. Also Christopher Mooney. I was good friends with all three.

Hi, I am a newbie - only joined at the weekend. I have a photo of Class 1a September 1958 (before the St Catherine's pupil's joined us for that year), I need som help in identifying some of the names, and making sure I put the right names to the faces. I am doing a scrapbook page about my time at the school (loathed it)! and I need to get the names right - can anyone help please?View attachment 50488
Back row I have names for l-R 1. Jean Lawton, 2. Maureen O'Connor, 3. Catherine Cassidy 4. (me) Susan Clarke, 5. Jacqueline Williams 6. Elizabeth Mc ? 7. Bernadette H ? 8. Patricia Green (John Scully's aunt) 9. Hazel Pulling 10. Paula? 11. Paulette?
Middle Row l to Rt. 1. ? 2. John Scully 3. ? 4. Pauline C? 5. Judith Digby 6. Patricia Bowen 7. Philomena Sheehan(played accordian) 8. Jean Costello 9. Paul Carpenter? 10. ? 11 . ? 12 ?
Front row lt to rt 1. Paul Cleary 2 Liam Bermingham 3 ? 4. John Disney 5. ? 6. ? 7 ? 8.? Dolan 9. Paul ? 10. ?
11. Brian ? 12. ?
Would be very grateful for any help!

Sallyk
the guy on the bottom row 3rd from the left with the bushy fair hair is Tommy Griffin, he was Shamus Donleavy's nephew and lived in Sparkbrook. Tommy owned the club on the Stratford Road, just before Walford Road, I cannot remember the name of the Club. Tommy was a great character of his time but unfortunately I believe he passed away recently.
great photo it was the year before I enrolled for 1 year only in Joe Parkers class.

Back