• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cutler Family Bartley Green-schools-

Re: Bartley Green-schools-cutler Family

hi local history
Yes I lived in the last house in adams hill before romsey road, the dairy was across the road and behind it was waste ground, we moved from hasbury road in I think 1956, and lived there till 1959, when we moved to weoley castle. We arrived in bartley green in 1950 and I attended st michaels school (the old victorian one) next to the church I remember the tram terminus on adams hill and hudsons the papershop, in Jiggins lane. and the vicars name was mr gurney. I then attended the new st micheals school in field lane just before offmore road, The Dr's surgury was at the top of offmore Dr Judge. The local farmer was Mr bullock and we had a village fete every year on his land we also had great fun in his corn fields which went right down to the reservoir we went in summer every day to the blue bell woods, and squeezed through the bars of the reser to catch newts and stickel backs. In those far off post war days when milk and bread was delivered by horse and cart was the skys always blue in summer and it snowed every winter life was idealic not much money but good fun and friendship.
regards
paul

Hello Ray,
Thanks for the 'snippets'. I don't know which area you are researching for the various surnames you have listed but for what it's worth I have looked for Beard and Barratt in St. Michael records and found:-

No Barratts.
1915 Evelyn Beard married Wilfred Parsons. She lived Jiggins Lane father George.
1921 William Albert Beard mar. Florence Flavell. He lived 99 Jiggins Lane, father George Alfred.
1929 Leonard N Beard mar. Violet Cook. He lived 99 Jiggins Lane, father George Alfred.
1868 Walter Edward Beard bapt. son of Edward & Sarah of Moor St.
1945 bur. Florena M Beard aged 45 of 113 Jiggins Lane
1926 bur. Martha A E Beard aged 1
1948 bur. George Alfred Beard aged 74 of 99 Jiggins Lane
1946 bur. Martha E A Beard aged 73 of 99 Jiggins Lane
1952 bur. Florence Beard aged 57.

Hope this helps your research. For anyone interested in our files our next Open evening is in October, however, we do carry out limited research in our records in return for a donation to the Group's funds.
Regards
Maureen

Hi Paul,
This is a first - fetes held on Bullock's land. All helps to build up a social history of the district. Thank you for your memories. I'm pleased to say the bluebells still survive in Bromwich Wood.
Regards
Maureen

Its been said that my great grandmother was a midwife can anyone help me ascertain this.

Hi Carol Millie,
Having looked through our files I can confirm that Mary Jane Cutler was a midwife, her daughter Eliza Smith also acted as a midwife (unsure if she was registered) and delivered most of the babies in Bartley Green and was also called upon when anyone had died.

The 1891 census shows Mary as being born in Kinver, Staffordshire and her occupation is a nailmaker.

Regards

Hello local history,
One of my ancestors of the 19th.century,also acted as a midwife,nurse and laid out the dead.Although an her marriage cert.she couldn't write her name.She was listed as S.M.S.nurse,which is Subsidary Medical Services,it seems that they were not registered,just good women doing the best they could.
Thanks for the look up,not my Beards though,we didn't move to Bartley Green until 1951.
Ray.

Bartley Green-War Memorial

Can anyone assist with information/photos of the men commemorated on the WW2 War Memorial in Bartley Green. We want to host a display on Remembrance Sunday.
BRIGHT Bert - 1942. Father Horace lived at 8 Jiggins Lane.
HARRISON Jeffrey - 1941. Parents Fredk & Edith lived 162 Jiggins Lane.
HENSHAW Harry - 1943 and brother Ronald - 1943. Parents Jesse & Emma lived 150 Stonehouse Lane.
JEFFS William - 1943. Parents Charles & Sarah lived 175 Jiggins Lane.
MARSHALL Ovid - 1944. Parents Horace & Florance. No address known.
NASH Charles - 1944. Parents George & Nora.Lived 351 StonehouseLane.
PARSONS William - 1944. Son of Wildred & Lilian of Weoley Castle.
POTTER Jack - 1941. Son of Jack & Frances. Lived 31 Adams Hill
POYNER George - 1945. Parents William & Sarah. Lived 6 Jiggins Lane.
SMITH D Thomas - 1942. Parents Ernest & Emily. Lived 357 Stonehouse L
could be parents Alfred & Martha of 130 Stonehouse Lane.
PRICE-HUNT Stanley - 1944. Parents William & Marie lived 6 Wood Lane.
STATHAM William - 1944. Parents William & Annie. Lived 1/151 S'house L
WEAVER Arthur - no information
WITHERS Frank - 1944. Parents Frank & Mary. Lived 355 S'house Lane

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Maureen

Hello Maureen,
About 7 years ago,the youngest brother of Jack Potter,Des, was still living in Jiggens Lane,I think it was the first house going downhill from the "Cock pub".
He is only the same age as myself.
Ray.

The 1891 census shows Mary as being born in Kinver, Staffordshire and her occupation is a nailmaker.

Regards[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Mary Jane Cutler was my Great Grandmother - she was born 13 Oct 1857 (parents Joseph and Phoebe (Ashton) Lewis).

Her husband Samuel Cutler's father was Joseph Cutler, born in Northfield around 1808 - does anyone know anything about him (or his wife Maria - born Pittman?)

Thanks

california,
these records from st. martins may be of interest to you or you may already have it....
12 april 1841 marriage joseph cutler. of full age. bachelor. nailer. dale end. father william cutler - nailer
maria pittman. of full age. spinster. nailer. dale end. father samuel pittman - nailer
they signed with a cross. witnesses were isaac partridge and amelia satchwell

21 oct 1844 marriage samuel cutler. of full age. bachelor. nailer. broad st. father william cutler - tool maker
amelia pittman. of full age. spinster. broad st. father samuel pittman - nail maker

2nd aug 1830 marriage joseph cutler of this parish bachelor and pheobe cutler of this parish spinster were married in this church by banns
witnesses were robert powell and alexander sanders who were church officials.

Last edited:

John,
I remember that place when it was working farrier,in the early 1950s.

Hi John,

Any connection with Lye Close Farm or just a 'name' coincidence? I believe your daughter has already made contact with our History Group. We would love to learn more about the Forge and share what info. we hold.

I remember the forge from the 50's we kids at st michaels would sometimes go and stand by the fire in winter if the farrier was'nt too busy, I seem to remember him as old (I would be 5/6) grey moustache, I think glass's, I seem to remember the forge being between the old church school with the iron railings and the cafe by the tram terminus and clock, directly across the road was the butchers and a green grocer. On the bend into field lane facing the church was a hardware store with a large water tower, who also sold pets, rabbits etc. I remember them knocking down the old cottage's in adams hill and the libary being built at the top of adams hill, and behind were some old houses with plum trees and apple trees and gooseberry bushes where all the village kids would go scrumping, the village bobby lived down by the cock inn facing the prefabs. paul stacey

Dear Carol,
Could you confirm if Emma's father is Samuel Cutler (b abt 1849) and is the brother of my Catherine Cutler(b abt 1862). Also were his parents Joseph Cutler & Maria Pittman?

Hi, my name is Chris Facer and I lived in Stonehouse Grove from 1945 to 1972.There were some Cutler's who lived in Field Lane,the father was Billy Cutler [had something to do with the Football team]and his sons were Malcolm and David.I used to attend the old St Michaels by the bus terminus divided from the church by the playground.I also remember the forge ran by the Young's and the old Tower Stores.My brothers and sisters attended the old senior school [later it became a community centre ]on Adams Hill before the Secondary school was built.

chris did you know barry and carol whipps, they went with me to the old and the new st michaels, carol died from pnewmonia and was buried at the old st michaels church about 1956, mr gurney was the vicar, and we had such great christmas partys at the old "annex" next to the vicarage.
paul stacey

chris did you know barry and carol whipps, they went with me to the old and the new st michaels, carol died from pnewmonia and was buried at the old st michaels church about 1956, mr gurney was the vicar, and we had such great christmas partys at the old "annex" next to the vicarage.
paul stacey

No,I did not staret school until 1960,but I remember Mr Gurney.I have a picture of him with the choir.I also have a picture from Penny Kirk [she had an older brother Stuart ]who's dad owned Kirks Farm,of me and my class circa 1961.She lives in Essex now[still farming with her brother]and is in regular contact with Rev Gurneys daughter.When we got to a certain age we moved from the old school across the road to the annex and then all move up to the new school up Field Lane.Miss Treadwell was the head mistress,can't remember any of the other teachers.

the only farm i remember down towards the resa was Bullocks farm, I remember Miss treadwell, field lane was built up on the right hand side when i was young but not on the left they started building about 51/2 but you could walk to the bluebell woods across the fields from Hasbury road, they built the new school when I was about 6 yrs old and started building Scotland lane.

the only farm i remember down towards the resa was Bullocks farm, I remember Miss treadwell, field lane was built up on the right hand side when i was young but not on the right they started building about 51/2 but you could walk to the bluebell woods across the fields from Hasbury road, they built the new school when I was about 6 yrs old and started building Scotland lane.

I was about 9/10 years of age when we moved from the old school up to the one in Field Lane,and can remember walking down Field Lane in procession behind Miss T and the vicar [Rev.Gurney] to services held in the old St Michaels church. Mr Moss ran the post office and Brian Hudson ran the shop on the corner of Jiggins Lane.Kirks farm was on the left hand side of Scotland lane behind the annexe [shed type classrooms],one of the fields was later rented to Bartley Green football club.The old fire brigade water tower had been taken over and converted into a hardware shop,still with the water tank on top and was called the Tower Stores.I believe there is one still called that in the "new" shopping precinct.There are several old pictures on the King Edward V1 site of the church,school etc.

Hi Chris, It's been a while since I last logged on to the forum. Was really interested in all the memories you and others have posted. The name KIRK rings a bell with me but as I don't have access to my files at the moment I can't confirm which farm it was. If you say off Scotland Lane, then it could either be Bartley Farm (site of KE5W school) or Scotland Farm in Frankley Lane. Are you still in contact with Penny Kirk?
Our History Group, in conjunction with others, has finally got the go ahead to raised the profile of the old churchyard in Field lane. Work is to commence next week. (see our web site now renamed www.bgdhg.co.uk) We are keen to hear from anyone who has relatives interred on site.
We are always on the look out for memories, photos of Bartley Green and the surrounding districts to add to our archives, these are made available to members at our meetings so if anyone has something they would like to share please get in touch.

Back