• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ephraim phillips ltd

Peter Hunt

knowlegable brummie
I was an apprentice in the 60's at Ephraim Phillips Ltd in Bissell Street. It would be great to contact fellow work mates.
I also have many old ledgers which belonged to the founder Ephraim Phillips dating back to the 1880's, which I found in a rubbish bin when the company was closing down.

Peter

Hello Peter, welcome to the site :). Your ledgers sound very interesting - it's amazing what history gets put in the bin. I am not familiar with this company :rolleyes: perhaps you could give us a bit of history on it.
Good luck with your search for your old work mates.
Polly

As per Pollypops suggestion, please find below brief history of Ephraim Phillips Ltd.

Ephraim Phillips started work in the screw trade at the age of eight. In his early teens, without significant capital, he began to put his experience to use working from a small attic. In just three year he was able to rent part of a factory which gave him more space in which to pursue his ideas. This was in 1874. In 1880 Ephraim Phillips brought a small shop in Bissell Street. By the time of his death in 1910, at the age of 59, he was employing 125 people.

After Ephraim’s death his two sons, Howard Phillips and Alfred Phillips jointly ran the company. In the early 60’s Howard Phillips son Douglas Phillips became Managing Director and employed around 350 people at Bissell Street and a further 20 people in their London warehouse.

In the early 90’s Ephraim Phillips was sold to a German company called BSK, finally moving out of Bissell Street after being sold to the Infast Group in 1998.

The front of the building in Bissell Street is still standing, it still has the E.P logo on the front. It also retains the name of Ephraim Phillips House.

I would have attached photos, but as I am new to the site I’m not sure of the best way to do this.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Peter,

I worked at EP, started a little after yourself, and worked in the general office before taking over the warehousing. I've penned a book or two myself and while researching found a small piece about EP in a book (the title of which I cannot recall). In there the author commented on how Ephraim Phillips also made tricycles in the distant past, an unusual tricycle for two with the seats side by side (unlike a tandem). An advert was reproduced showing they could be made to order, with brakes as an optional extra!

Will write some more memories when I get the chance.

Hello

Really happy to see this thread!!! Ephraim is my Great Uncle!!!

Peter i'm looking forward to hearing your memories & if you recall the name of the book please let me know.

Hello

Really happy to see this thread!!! Ephraim is my Great Uncle!!!

Peter i'm looking forward to hearing your memories & if you recall the name of the book please let me know.

Thats great news! This thread is getting very interesting. Well done Peter for starting it off.
Also can I ask - is this the same Phillips as Phillips screwdrivers?
Polly :)

Hello Polly,

No that Phillips was an American - hence all the royalties we had to pay out for the privilege of making them!

Hello Innquest,

That’s true Ephraim Phillips patented and manufactured the Duplex Tricycle, also known as the Sociable Tricycle. I have a photo and copy of an original letter I have dated 1847, from Harry Hunt of Moseley. The letter is address to the Duplex Cycle Mfg. Co. 54, Bissell Street, Birmingham. I've scanned these and tried to attached but they are too large to attach. I need more lessons.

Peter

Don't know if this will work, but here's picture of Duplex cycle.
Thank you. I'm glad you like. I am very submissive and love to serve men in any way
Photo lost
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Peter, yes it has worked. Well thats a funny design isn't it. It looks as if it might be difficult to peddle as there doesn't seem much space for legs. I wonder how many they sold?

Hi Poly, Don't know how many they made, they were all made to order and individually altered in size to suit the buyer. I attached a letter below the picture from Mr Harry Hill, but I don't think this is clear enough to read. It starts ' Dear Sir, After riding several hundreds of miles on the Duplex Cycle that you built for me in the spring it gves me pleasure to add my testimony to its excellence. Its ease in running is really remarkable - along level roads no effort is required to propel it and hills can be ??????(can't read) as easily as a bicycle'

Peter

Thanks for that Peter - I couldn't quite make out what the leter said.
Well that sounds like a very happy customer - I suppose if it was made to fit the rider then there would be space for legs - wonder if that meant both people had to be the same size???

Hi
I sold a threadrolling machine to Ephraim Phillips in the late 70s & Ron Maybury was Works Manager then, I worked at Linreads & GKN screws & fasteners in the 60s & 70s.
I remember also the son & Grandson of Ephraim who were still there then I believe was the grandsons name Peter?

Wow didn't realise he made duplex bikes! Will have to google it now. I do know Ephraim & his sons patented rivets etc for bike saddles etc. He owned several business in his time. I love the fact his building has his name above it, a lasting memorial!

Makes you wonder what important paperwork was thrown into the bin! I'm very grateful you managed to retrieve some of it Peter.

Thanks very much Peter for uploading this letter. As a family historian i love things like this. Thanks also for starting this topic.

Daverock ,i know Ephraim had 2 sons, Howard Thomas & Alfred Ephraim, they both married. Howard had a son Douglas born in 1919. I have no names of any grandchildren. I am told the family sold the business a number of years ago. Sadly I have no idea where they are now.

Hi
I sold a threadrolling machine to Ephraim Phillips in the late 70s & Ron Maybury was Works Manager then, I worked at Linreads & GKN screws & fasteners in the 60s & 70s.
I remember also the son & Grandson of Ephraim who were still there then I believe was the grandsons name Peter?

Hi Daverock, I’m still in contact with Ron Maybury. Did you also work for Menns? Do you remember Alan Snape who in the 70’s was joint production manager with Ron Maybury.
Also, Douglas Phillips had a step son named Jim Kevil.
Peter

Hi I didn't work for Menn but for Clark International Machinery who were agents for Urbis, menn was handled by Embassy M/c Tools, their guy was Roger Johnson.
I do remember Alan & also JIm Keevil who I thought was Dougs son in law.
Where is Ron now I would love to hear from him.
Phillips always seemed to me to be a happy company to work for.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Hi Dave, Yes Ephraim Phillips was a great place to work, they had a real caring attitude towards their employees.
Ron lives in Solihull his memory is not too good though. I will speak with him and see if he remembers you, if he does I will give you his telephone number via your personal message.

You mention Roger Johnson, who now runs Johnson’s Machine Tools,
There was a lot of interesting individuals involved in selling machines and heading tooling. Do you remember the following people:

Jerry Hammond – Hammond Machinery
Nigel Holmes – Embassy / Metalform
Peter Lawrence – Mayes and Warwick
Nick Forshew – Embassy
David Spreckley – Tooling International
John Purnell - National Machinery
Mike Breen – Lintools
Tony Davies – Hatebur

Peter

Hi Peter
yes I remember most of them, Alan Clark was a director at Hammonds & also a late good friend of mine Barry Lowe was also with Gerry. Trevor Sleigh who was at Linreads with me went to work for Gerry & then formed Burntwood Fasteners.
Rico tools was another great fastener tool manufacturer which I think changed names.
Lintools was formed I think from Linread tools.
Any more names?
If you do talk to Ron see if he remembers me if so I will ring him.
Cheers
Dave

I was thinking earlier about some of the heading / screw companies that were in Birmingham and now closed.

Crane Screws
GKNHadden & Stokes
Linreads
Thomas Eves
Thomas Lench
Ephraim Phillip
Masons
Armstrong screws & Fixings
Black & Lough

There was many more but can't think of the names, all the parts are now probably made in China or India. Any more names?

Peter

In 1924 on the 50th year of Ephraim Phillips, the management organised an all expense paid trip for all their employees to visit the Wembley Exhibition in London. I have attached the programme.

Peter

Peter, thanks for posting that, I have enjoyed reading it. Someone in the company must have had a good sense of humour to write it like that. Was this one of your skip finds?
polly

Hi
also you can include Headings, LH Newton,Screw & Rivet,GKN Screws & fasteners Heath Street, GKN bolts & Nuts, Charles Richards,Burntwood Fasteners & lots of others that I can't bring to mind.
I remember Thomas Eaves who still had overhead belt driven Machinery in the 70s. Lucas King Street also had their own fastener shop with both double blow & Multi stage headers, we fitted the shop out with Noise control equipment which not only cut down the noise but also took the hot air from the machines filtered it & either discharged to atmosphere in the Summer but pumped it back into the shop to keep it warm during the Winter, early energy saving from the 70s!!!!!
Cheers
Dave

I worked for a short time for Warne-Wrights, Keeley Street, who were bought out by Benjamin Priest who also acquired LH Newtons at Long Acre from I think GKN, I say this cause the Machinery went there and we got the Order Book and some of the Workforce, The only problem with Warnes was that their main contract was with Fords, who had the nasty habit of changing suppliers half way through the contract, the innner Ring also took some of the factory and keeley Street was closed at that end, the place closed and demolished and the work moved to Cradley Heath.

What a great thread (if you pardon the pun) on fastener companies in the Midlands, I had forgotten Warne Wright & Rowlands as it was, a couple of friends of mine worked there one sadly no longer with us but the other worked all his life in the industry & we started at Linreads as apprentices & both left on the same day to go to GKN Heath St. We still see one another occasionally for lunch & are always reminiscing about the old days.
Lets expand the thread & see what else comes out about these long lost factories.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Peter - 100 years in 1974, star billing was Peter Goodright, was it not?

Cooor, Mine didn't say all that but it was similar and was with the EEF rather than the actual Employer and it also bonded me to the EEF for five years afterwards, just to ensure they got their monies worth out of me, no Legal sanctions though except if I didn't attend Collage at the appointed times, I could be terminated. Its a very big pity I lost my copy, but Im sure the EEF could still have mine somewhere, Ill have to ask. Mine was printed and embossed and my Father had to sign it as well.
just to say it really was draconian and I wonder if it was Lawful.

Yes, that’s correct I have the programme for the night somewhere, it was held at the Top Rank in Dale End.

Peter

Hi Peter
What lovely pictures, I guess the Press Shop, Heading Shop & Capstan shop. I was also interested to see the straightening rolls seperate to the Header, this I would guess again would make them Mandevilles or Greenbats, anyway a bit before our time but I did some setting on both types as well as Waterburys, Nationals & Hipros. I started on Split die machines in my first deployment to Linreads heading shop, I was asked back by the Foreman after that when he was short of a setter & he used to get me a shop bonus which was a real treat for a lowly paid apprentice so I looked forward to going in there. I also got plenty of overtime as I worked 7am till 6pm Monday to Thursday & 8am till 12pm on Saturdays even with all theis overtime & bonus I don't suppose I took home much more than a Tenner, we wouldn't get out of bed for that now but it used to give me a very good life with beer & fags & girls to spend it on!!!
Keep up the good work
Cheers
Dave

Fabulous photos Peter. These are the sort need in those local history books. Bet Carl Chinn would love these too.

I thought the photo was from the brochure. I wonder if any of the workers descendants use this website!! H T Phillips is Howard Thomas Phillips.

I should add that Ephraim Phillips was an inventor & had several Patents, some for modifications for parts to machinery. Others were for the manufacture of certain types of nails & improvements to cycle saddles.
Howard Thomas & Ephraim invented an improvement for cycle saddle clips.
Alfred Ephraim made improvements to means for cutting lenghts of wire or rod. Under the company name Alfred Thomas Pearsall invented an improvement to belt punches. Quite an inventive lot!!!

Can anyone put a date on the male group photo please?

Thanks Peter ;-)))))

Last edited:
Back