• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Rippingille Aston Road

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
this will need our experts to try and work out where in aston these factories were...they were bombed out somewhere in aston 1940...this is not a where is it there is no exact location...

lyn

this will need our experts to try and work out where in aston these factories were...they were bombed out somewhere in aston 1940...this is not a where is it there is no exact location... lyn

Hi Lyn,
It looks like Aston Road North opposite The Avenue pub. I can't think of the factory's name though. These 2 pictures are from Ray Griffiths. The 1st one taken from virtually the same place as the bombed factory pic and the 2nd one is taken from the petrol station looking in the direction of Aston Cross from Aston Brook showing a new or rebuilt factory (on the LH edge of the picture) after the war, probably in the late 50's/early 60's.

It certainly looks like that is the place. Looking at the 1940 directory It would seem that it was dobson & Crowthers, paper bag manufacturers
mike

There was at least one bomb dropped on Aston Rd,I remember seeing the tram lines sticking up in the air.However,my eyes ain't so good as they were,and I can't see any tramlines on this photo.

morning ray..there is so much debris i cant see any tramlines either....but if i zoom in on the photo is that overhead lines i can see...

lyn

You are spot on Lyn,you are so alert in the morning.
I would have spotted it but I was eating my porridge...yeah,yeah,yeah.

Having a closer look,the low jutting out building,on the right looks like the "General Haverlock",so we are looking towards the town.Shall go down and ask my dad later,he worked just around the corner.

lol ray....if you notice my mental capacity deminishes as the day goes on....lol again...looks like the correct location then....

lyn

Well spotted Dave the Expert the Forum Detectives strike again.

My dad thinks it's Rippingills (spelling is dodgy).He didn't know the date but said it was on a Friday night,as my Grandparents always came to Aston on Saturdays,and that was the day they took me too Harborne,for a while.

Is this the one Ray

Rippingills Albion Lamp Co., Ltd., Aston Road North, Birmingham, makers of lamps for domestic and road transport use. Some work contracted to G. Polkley Ltd. Albion™

Thanks Alf,it must be the one,although me dad is 95 and can't see very well,so I had to describe the photo.to him.
Rippingills later made electric fires...or was it gas fires?.

My dad thinks it's Rippingills (spelling is dodgy).
Ray,
Rippingills definitely rings a bell and the spelling is fine - both confirmed by Alf's post. Whether it was Rippingills before the war I can't say as I am too young to know!! Now it's not often I get a chance to say that!!!
P.S. It is the Havelock pub.

Hi Wendy, I wonder if he was anything to do with Rippingille's factory, I think it was in Newtown Row. Others will know for sure.

Rippengilles was in Aston Road. They were bombed in the war .

Last edited by a moderator:
From directories
No mention of Rippingill 1873 or before
1876 Rippingille Alexander, lamp manufactr. 41 Aston rd. north
1878 No commercial Rippingill firm and 41 Aston Road N orth not listed
1879 – 1884 Albion Light Co at 43 & 34 Aston Rd north
1888-95 and later AIbion Lamp Co., Aston road north (not numbered , but I think it is about no 40, close to 34)
In 1896, shortly after he dies the following was in kellys (with little picture given below). The entry for 1895 was similar , but shorter

Rippingille
Rippingille Frank, Stove Co. (The),oil stove makers,Plume street, Aston; patentees & manufacturers of oil cooking & warming stoves of every description, including the patent combination lamp stoves, patent Dutch oven stove, patent plate warmer. Patent Pure Air Greenhouse Heater, the patent revolving radiator, the patent food warmer & night light, the patent combination bracket;radiators, cooking stoves, water heaters, hot air gates,colliery & street lamps & many other specialities; estimates given for all kinds of metal work free; catalogue gratis. N.B.—Every article manufactured under the
personal supervision of Mr. Frank Rippingille, the inventor.Telephone 2650

Rippingille's Albion Lamp Co. sole &' original inventors,patentees and manufacturers of Rippingille's world renowned patent oil cooking & warming stoves, lamps,&c. &c. Aston Brook Lamp Works, Aston road north

As far as private addresses are concerned:

1880-1890 Rippengill James, 4 Sutton St Aston
1893-1890 Rippingill.James Davey 9 Sutton St (it is a different house, not renumbering)

1892 No entry (He would be living in Sutton)
Mike

pic_with_1890_rippingill_stove_blurb.JPG

The company too
Rippingilles Albion Lamp Co

From GracesGuide

of Aston Road North, Birmingham 6. Telephone: Aston Cross 3281/2. Telegraphic Address: "Sunrise, 'Phone, Birmingham"
  • 1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Oil Stoves for cooking, heating and boiling. Geysers and Hot Water Apparatus. General Tinware. Portable Gas fires and Cookers. (Stand No. A.428)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Birmingham Post had various ads re the disposal of EA's assets.

But I found this one interesting.

It seems that EA and JD had been in partnership together.

But most importantly that it was Eliza (presumbly JD's wife Elizabeth) who carried on the business after these tragic circumstances.

Apologies if this is a bit small to read.

View attachment 49302

T

That is interesting tacitus, would it have been unusual for a woman to run a business in those days?
Polly

That is interesting tacitus, would it have been unusual for a woman to run a business in those days?
Polly

Very unusual I would say.

Around the 1890's many businesses that started as family concerns and/or partnerships became limited companies.

This enabled the owners to take some money out of the business and also bring new investment in.

I am pretty sure that I have seen that by 1900 the Albion Lamp Company had become "Limited".

Unfortunately I don't have time to go into it in detail - but it would be interesting to see if the family remained as major shareholders and if they were involved in the day to day management of the company.

T

Just had this thread pointed out to me - sorry not been on looking lately - tied up doing admin for Key Hill

Grave is Q795 - 8 inside as listed below -

RIPPINGILLE​
Herbert Cecil 1881 Q 795 28467

Hubert James 1883 Q 795 30302

Norah Gladys Villiers 1885 Q 795 32241
Gladys Ethel Villiers 1891 Q 795 36073

Lillian Alice 1891 Q 795 36061

Arthur 1892 Q 795 37220

Ernest 1892 Q 795 37221
James Davey 1894 Q 795 38549

In view of the "Villiers" included in the information that Brian has added, I thought that the artist that I mentioned in #15 could be connected, so I've had another trawl
This is an interesting link https://www.benedictheal.com/personal/family/FH/fam244.html . It shows that Edward Villiers Rippingille (artist) is actually Edward Alexander's father!

Edward Villiers Rippingille death is registered Q2 1859, West Bromwich 6b 420

Not been and looked at the grave yet, but looks like it should have a cross on top - sometimes they are lying nearby -will check on Sat

Back