• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Goodman family photos from Oak Cottages and Erskine Street

Glenn468008

proper brummie kid
The background to the photographs may be of interest. They were all taken in Erkine St and Dollman St.
1. Doris (Dolly) Goodman sat on my dads (Frank Goodman) Bike outside her shop in Erskine St, in the background is Dollman St.
2. Frank & Dolly Goodman on the step of her shop in Erskine St.
3. Amy Goodman and Nancy (Surname unknown) on step of Goodmans shop in Erskine St. Pic taken in 1940's
4. Dolly and Horace Goodman with their shop in background. Note the men in background they were on their way to the Midland Tavern in Erskine Street. Pic taken around 1956.
5. Glenn Goodman (Blues kit) Dad (Frank Goodman), Francis Goodman (Villa kit) and Alan Goodman in front. Picture taken 1967 in yard of Oak Cottages Erskine St.

Last edited:
Hi Glen468008,
Thanks for posting the photos of the Goodman's. The motorbike looks
like it has a special mirror to me. It's very noticeable that back in those days people wanted to dress well and they all look great in these photos. The backgrounds on some shots have a lot of info in the ads on the shop windows. I used Duraglit to clean the chrome on my bicycle I remember and the
ad for Mansion Polish I remember. We bought Mansion polish to clean our
front entrance. I applied it many times. I fetched both Senior Service and Craven A cigarettes for my Dad many times. Lyon's and Typhoo Tea ads were all over the place when I was growing up. Lastly, the YZ Gum machines. I just loved those and although I remember the Bubble Gum I also remember buying Beechnut Chewing Gum out of the machine at Bramley's Sweet shop just round the corner from Bleak Hill Road and Marsh Hill.

Cheers, great pictures, each one tells a story. It's not just the people in the picture either the things happening in the background to pictures speak volumes too. Fantastic...... the picture with the Tin bath brings back memories of me with my brothers on a Sunday Evening

Hi
My Mom remembers the Goodman Family as my aunt Barbara Cross was friends with Rita Goodman. My Mom Diane and Aunt Barb lived at the Midland Tavern with My Grandparents Fred and Lil Cross. approx 1952-1957. Aunt Barb worked at Holdsworth Factory and also at the Crisp factory opposites the Midland Tavern. The Photo's are great and have bought lots of memories back for My Mom

Glenn fantastic photo's and thanks for sharing them with us. Love the one of the three lads in the bath. Jean.

Hello Glenn, Lovely To see all the old pictures,brought back so many happy memories, Love Aunt Ann.

Additional photos from goodmans family album in erskine st

I have been researching family history and found My Grandad, Alfred Prosser, lived at 22 Oak Cottages from the late 1800's until his death in 1928 owing an accident at work. I lived in Goodrick St, Saltley and went to St. Vincents' school in the fifties. My Nan lived in Inkerman St and we would eat crisps outside the Midland as dad and uncles went for a pint. Midland Tavern still there but derelict. Great photo's

Bernard Prosser

Great set of photos, brings back many memories i lived in Eskinen St up the hill next to Harriss Coal yard as a young explorer i used to climb over the Railway Club back wall pinch a couple of empty beer bottles take them to the outdoor at the Midland Tavern and then nip to Goodmans for a few sweets.Dek:redface::redface:

Hello Bernard , great to hear your story about Oak Cottages, your Grandfather must have lived there the same time as mine they lived at number13, then moved in to Dollman St Ann Herbert nee Southey
I have been researching family history and found My Grandad, Alfred Prosser, lived at 22 Oak Cottages from the late 1800's until his death in 1928 owing an accident at work. I lived in Goodrick St, Saltley and went to St. Vincents' school in the fifties. My Nan lived in Inkerman St and we would eat crisps outside the Midland as dad and uncles went for a pint. Midland Tavern still there but derelict. Great photo's

Bernard Prosser

Bernard Prosser
Hello Bernard, Delighted you like the photos, it is really fascinating to hear of someone who lived in our house so many years before we did, it may have been that your Grandad Alfred would have known my Nan 'Doris Goodman' aka Dolly (who ran the shop in Erskine St) and maybe my Dads grandmother Amy Goodman also. No doubt as you sat outside the Midland with your crisps, your Dad & Uncles may well have been having a pint with my Dad & Uncle...Frank and Horace Goodman.

Great set of photos, brings back many memories i lived in Eskinen St up the hill next to Harriss Coal yard as a young explorer i used to climb over the Railway Club back wall pinch a couple of empty beer bottles take them to the outdoor at the Midland Tavern and then nip to Goodmans for a few sweets.Dek:redface::redface:
Hello Dek, I'm sure my Nan would have been glad of your custom no matter how you raised the funds for your sweets, glad you like the photos, thanks for sharing your memories.

Any idea of the origin of the name Dollman St? My ancestors were Dollmans in Birmingham.
Jess

What fantastic photo,s Glen,
the tin bath one,s are dear to my heart we had a bath
on a Friday night, if we needed one or not, me and my sisters and brother.
Happy Days . Regards dereklcg (Cromwell st Nechells)

My grandad's family also used to live at Oak Cottages, 7 Erskine Street. My grandad was John Allsopp, and I know that he lived there around 1916 before going off to fight in WW1. The address is shown on his army records. He married my gran Olive (nee Rhodes) in 1917 and they lived at Oak Cottages with his parents until the 1920's.

His father, also named John Allsopp, was a brickmaker and later a labourer. He and his wife Charlotte (nee Overton) lived there for many years. I'm told that Charlotte lost her sight in later years. After Charlotte passed away John (senior) carried on living there until around 1936. After he died the Henderson family moved in.

If anyone has any memories of them living there I'd love to know, as I know so little about them.

Modgee i know the cottage youre granddad live in it is different to Oak Cottages (they were down under the bridge i lived at no3 Erskine St next door at no5 was Harris Coal yard Then no 7 this one was a different type of house that had a front garden (the only 1 in the street. Dek

Thanks for sharing that with me :) A front garden is quite unusual for that area, so I'm quite surprised to hear that.

I've never been there though, afraid I wasn't born till the sixties so they lived there way before my time.

Last edited:
Madgee I,ve had some time to recall( it was 50 years ago) the cottage had a small wooden fence at the pavement with a small wooden gate in the middle the cottage stood about 25 meters from the road it was larger than our houses (i,m not sure if it was two cottages or a single one i do not think it had a back garden as there was a high wall at the back due to the street behind us being lower down and the school backed on to our houses. there are photos on the Gosta Green thread of Erskine st one shows the top of the st sadly only the top three houses appear on it hopefully someone will read the post and put a st map up showing the house lay out.Dek

That's a pretty good memory you have there; and very well described for fifty years ago.

Thanks ever so much. At least I know a little bit now.

hi glen
just looking at your family pics. and i was wondering whether or not are you or your father is
related to the goodman family that lived in wainwright st aston during the forties and fiftys
only i new the goodmans family very well only there father was albert goodman
and the picture of i think is your grand fatherand gran; or sorry if i have put that wrong
may be your father and mother because the picture of the gentle strongly resembles albert
is it possible he may be related to you or may be a brother to him
and this albert goodman moved to aston during the seventies to stechford [ mannor rd ]
he had a son called stan and a daughter called shirley
i had to write because i thought it was spooky seeing the resemblence of albert with the couple by
standing next to the motor bike , ie; discription and in height as well
best wishes Astonian ;;;;;;

Here is erskin st. c 1912 On the edge of two sheets unfortunately, so not very good join
Mike

erskin_st_c_1912.jpg

Thanks for that Mike. Madgee if you look at the map the top end of Erskine St (it was on a hill) on the left side there was the Adelaide pub on the corner then the Sharkeys at no 1 the Williams -no3 6he Harris-No 5 then the coal yard next is your grandads house as you can see i lies right back from the others i imagine it must have been built at an earlier date. Dek

Thanks to mikejee for the streetmap, that does help to put it into perspective. Seems they had quite a big garden. Must have been handy living next to the coalyard as well :)

My thanks to everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

Hi
My Mom remembers the Goodman Family as my aunt Barbara Cross was friends with Rita Goodman. My Mom Diane and Aunt Barb lived at the Midland Tavern with My Grandparents Fred and Lil Cross. approx 1952-1957. Aunt Barb worked at Holdsworth Factory and also at the Crisp factory opposites the Midland Tavern. The Photo's are great and have bought lots of memories back for My Mom
Hi, thank you for your comments, I am sitting here with my Dad (Frank Goodman now 81), he remembers Barbara very well, he also recalls Fred & Lil with great affection. He says Fred used to go for a pint up town with him on ocassions when Fred had a night off. Dad used to drink in the Midland Tavern with his brother Horace (Hos), Ray & Les West,Wilfie Gunn,Albert (Nipper)Mundy,Arthur & Albert Knibbs,Kenny Boulton,Harry Rowley,Kenny & Ray Brown,Tony & Irene Power,Jean Taylor,Mr & Mrs Tommy Walker from Inkerman St. The Midland Tavern in the 50's is remembered with great fondness, do you possibly have any photos of the pub from the 50's if so it would be great to see them on here.

Hello
Love the photos and wanted to see if you may recall the Frampton family who lived at number 1, Oak Cottages? We have recently lost our Mum, Sylvia Frampton, who grew up at this property. It would be great to find some images or anyone who knew them. My Grandad was Thomas Frampton and my Nan was Winifred Frampton. They lived with their parents whose place it was.
My name is Denise and I would love to hear more......

Back