• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Broad Street

Re: Broad Street

And here is the same view now (January 2010)

>The Brasshouse is a language college now.

Are you sure, I thought it was a pub/restaurant.

I posted earlier but not sure if i was correct after looking on Google street scene, but i know that the language centre is at the Brass House , at the top of Sheepcote St where it joins Broad St .I attended a course there last year. Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a few pics.

Tow rope was a good laugh late at night in the 70s, after Barbs had shut or whatever, despite its reputation I never saw any overt evidence.

Also in Broad St, I remember Modern Exchanges, second hand guitar shop - which burned down in about 1978, and re-surfaced as Musical Exchanges, in Contitution Hill - and roughly opposite the Tow Rope was HMSO.

The Cafe on the corner by the Register office was more for Mods and Townies.

I posted earlier but not sure if i was correct after looking on Google street scene, but i know that the language centre is at the Brass House , at the top of Sheepcote St where it joins Broad St .I attended a course there last year. Max

Yes it seems we have two Brasshouse buildings near each other.

There is a Brasshouse Language Centre on Sheepcote Street (where it meets Broad Street), near the Five Ways end

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/brasshouse

Then there is the Brasshouse Pub/Restaurant which is actualy ON Broad Street, down by the Hyatt Hotel , the Crown pub and the Canal.

https://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/72/7228/Brasshouse/Birmingham

It is the Brasshouse pub ON Broad Street that I posted a some pictures of earlier.

In fact the first black and white picture above shows the Brasshouse pub on the very left (to the left of the church) with the Crown pub on the right.

Yes it seems we have two Brasshouse buildings near each other.

There is a Brasshouse Language Centre on Sheepcote Street (where it meets Broad Street), near the Five Ways end

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/brasshouse

Then there is the Brasshouse Pub/Restaurant which is actualy ON Broad Street, down by the Hyatt Hotel , the Crown pub and the Canal.

https://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/72/7228/Brasshouse/Birmingham

It is the Brasshouse pub ON Broad Street that I posted a some pictures of earlier.

In fact the first black and white picture above shows the Brasshouse pub on the very left (to the left of the church) with the Crown pub on the right.

Which pub on the same side became a Curry House in the mid 70s ?
By the way, my mistake, the last picture is not Broad St, its the council house I Think.

Last edited:
Does anybody remember the dolls hospital in Broad St,it was at the end near the city centre,there was also a smaller dolls hospital
in the Street where the Silver Blades Ice rink was,was that Bromsgrove St,

Somewhere at the top end - 5 ways end - of Broad St, I'm sure I remember looking in the window of a Taxidermists when I was little.

There was all sorts of animals, Polar Bears, Tigers etc. Anybody on her got a clue what or where it might have been ?

There used to be a shop in Calthorp Road, other side of five ways from Broad St. that was a furriers, it had all sorts of animals in the windows.

There used to be a shop in Calthorp Road, other side of five ways from Broad St. that was a furriers, it had all sorts of animals in the windows.

Thanks, Been trying to figure out where it was for years, I pictured it as being around about opposite Sheepcote St.

Hi Elizebeth
I remember my sister Maralyn taking her doll to the "Dolls Hospital" in the late 50's.
paul
:)I loved that shop i used to stand looking at the dolls,because i was totally convinced that dolls woke up when we were asleep,i never left one of my dolls on anything high,in case they fell when they woke up in the night:beam::rolleyes:

Hello Mike re post 38,i remember that furriers, only recently i was thinking how would a shop like that fair these days

I think I may have posted both these photos before. If I have, then someone tell me and I will remove them.

Faulks Furriers on Islington Row at Five Ways

The Dolls Hospital Broad Street

Phil

FiveWaysIslingtonRow.jpg
CityBroadStDollsHospital1954.jpg

Well i never thought i would see that shop again,it looks like a to let sign in the window,and Faulkes Furriers it was a big shop i remember the coats hanging in the windows,

Liz

I think Faulkes's are still in business in the area, so somebody is still wearing furs. I know a friend of ours took her mink out of cold storage because it's not worth her paying the fee anymore.

Here are a couple of more photos of Broad Street from the early 60's. Showing some of my favourite haunts at that time. The Tow Rope, The Rendezvous and the tunnel entrance to the Rum Runner. Wonderful days before when having a good evening out didn't mean getting blind drunk and having a fight on Broad Street.

Phil

CityBroadStTowRopeCafe.jpg
CityBroadSt5.jpg

CityBroadStRumRunnerEntrance.jpg

These are great Rum Runner every sunday night,they would close the bar at midnight for 5/10 minutes and when they opened it again you could only buy shorts,which was fine by me,rarely any trouble as you say,I am sure the youngsters think they invented
nights on the town,

Yes Phil and Elizabeth Redmond. We knew how to have a night on the tiles in our days. The younger ones nowadays seem only to know how to have a night flat out on the cobbles..........

img340.jpg img151.jpgView attachment 54443 img341.jpg
This map shows that in 1810 there was countryside betwee the city and Ladywood, and the city and Summerhill. The second map is from 1907 and the third one from 1922.In the third one you can see the outline for the planned Hall of Memory. In the first map you can see reference to a crescent, a picture of which is below. Only the building on the left of the picture was eventually built and that was to become Baskerville House.

img342.jpg

for me its got to be one of my best finds of late.. i just love this one

no date but i would guess the 40s/50s

lyn

Lyn

Good photo, if you look closely on the left you can see a figure in the shadows, thats me waiting for the Rum Runner to open. I was a bit early as usual only 35 odd years though.

Phil

Back