• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clifton Road Aston

Thanks Ray I did and I aint poash either. The nurse used to play whist with my mom so maybe that is why i went there and the other I got out of the clinics chair when they tried to strap me to it. Jean.

View attachment 46073
Hi Doris - I will look forward to hearing if your brothers and sisters have any memories of Gothic Terrace. I was told by someone else who used to live there that each house had a small garden to the front. That was nice to hear, and I always imagined that the Courts didn't have any at all.

Judy
dear judy i hope you can understand this map of clifton road what you are are looking for is court 25 and from there you can make out the number and lay out of the houses.The white going up the centre is the gardens,as you can see from the map there are more houses on the left ,that is because here kitchens were smaller. The toilets were at the top next to houses number 8an9 As you can see the shaded parts are the numbers on the houses.So dont forget to look at the map with the lozells ward title on oure left .Oh and you reach the ouses by going up the centre Doris

Another succes Lyn...That's exactly as I remember it.
Jean used it, in fact,there is a reflection of a woman and little girl in the window...could the little girl be Jean.

The car in shot is a G registration thats 1968.Well, they pulled Clifton Rd.down about then,so someone only just made it.

Raymond I was fourteen when I used Lacey's. I know that because I had to have a tooth removed or I wouldn't have been able to go to Ogwen Cottage in Wales. There was not a dentist for miles and I had cracked a tooth. I went courtesy of B'ham Education dept and the b...h at the clinic wouldn't sign my papers to say my teeth were not likely to cause me a trip to a dentist. No way was she taking it out so I went to Mr Laceys. Jean.

I used to go to the school dentist but for some reason I was recommended to go to Lacey's, all I can say is that it left a lasting impression, I was about 15, it made me afraid of going to the dentist for ages. Did you ever sample the delights of the Dental hospital in Brum?

ouch...astonite...just read your post 80....as if it was not bad enough that you have a bad memory of laceys i have to go and post a pic of it as a further reminder...

lyn

No harm done Lynn, the dentist I go to now, I have had since 1974, he's absolutely brilliant, trouble is he retires soon!

View attachment 48366Hi .Thought you would like this picture of the pub the BrickLayers Arms which was at the corner of Clifton rd and Potters Hill.It was facing the dreaded dentist! gothicterrace
pencil.png

Good one Gothic.Do you know when it was taken ?.my guess would be,not long before demolition.
Around that time the gaffer was Arthur Burley,son of Mrs.Burley the bookie from Upper Thomas St.
Arthur and his brother Jack were the trainers for U.T.S.school boxing club.

I remember Clifton Road
My grandfather lived in 5 court 8
The picture above reminds me just about where they lived in .
You had to go up an entry and the houses were at right angles to the main street.
My grandfather was Frank Yardley and he live there till he died in the 1950's
When I was a child I remember staying there and we had many happy memories of xmas parties where we stood round a piano
singing songs .No Television in those days .

Roy

Hi Judy - a brief update re. Jones family. Ralph Francis Jones m. Minnie Martin & had 2 children, Ralph b.1917 & Beryl Margaret b.1926 who married Thomas J.Tandy in 1949. Tom was b.1928 Birmingham & was the 4th of 7 children to Thomas Tandy & Margaret nee Bashforth. They had 3 girls, Sharman, Beryl & Deborah. Beryl & Tom spent the early years of their marriage living with Ralph & Minnie @ 166 Albert Rd, Aston. Beryl now lives on the Isle of Wight.

Hey-ho, I'm cracking up (again). Ralph Jones m.Minnie Martin & had 2 children Ralph FRANCIS & Beryl Margaret? I originally gave the middle name of FRANCIS to Ralph senior - what-a-mistake-a-to-make!

Hi Lostsoul - Great to hear from you again. Am I related to you? Are you Antony? Thanks for the update on the Jones family. As I said I was in contact with Tony briefly a few years ago and we sort of lost touch. I know that Mary Wren remembers Ralph and Minnie Jones as she has told me a little of what she remembers but she was only a small child at the time. I know that Ralph was living with Minnie and her Dad, James Martin, at Gothic Terrace before he and Minnie married.

I do have more information on the family if you are interested, but I would love to know more about Francis (Frank) as he is the one has has eluded me!!

Judy

Hi Fay
Just read your post with interest. My aunt Lil SIMPKINS, formerly INGRAM, nee FARLEY lived on Clifton Road, Aston. Don't know when she moved there but she left in the late 1960's/early 1970's to move to South Africa to live with her son Stanley INGRAM. I remember as a small child, visiting her in Clifton Rd and being sent out to play in the backyard with her grandchildren Gary and Julie ROPER. The houses were in a terrace with approximately 5 houses each side of a pathway that ran up the middle with their backyards on either side. As far as I can remember the houses were reached via an alley/entry. I remember my mum telling me about "little Margaret Reynolds" who lived near aunt Lil and that she went missing. She had been abducted, raped and murdered in 1966 by Raymond Morris and the case was referred to in the press as 'The Cannock Chase Murders' and the 'A34 Murders'. Aunt Lil knew the family and apparently Margaret used to speak to us whenever we went to visit. I was only thinking about this the other day as I had a picture come into my mind of the layout of the houses for some reason!
Liz

Hi im new on here i think its great just been reading about your grandmother i used to mate about with a lad named Joey Moss who lived in Vicarage Road And i think the lady you are talking about was also his grandmother can you confirm this for me.
I used to live in Pugh Road
Regards David Smith

Hi David
Welcome to the Birmingham History forum.

Joey Moss was my cousin, his father was also Joseph and his mother was Rose, they had a large family and lived in Vicarage Road. I think they moved to Stockland Green or Erdington. His father died around 1956 just after Louisa his grandmother.

Louisa

Hi My name is Elaine. I have just read your post. My father was Joseph Moss born 1916 in Laburnum Place Upper thomas Street Aston. His father was Joseph Hobday Moss and his mother was Ethel Moss. They moved to Marsh Lane Erdington sometime in the 1930's, I think. Joseph senior died in 1943. Do you know of any connection to your family?

My wifes Grandfather Bill Bayliss used to live at 3/79 Clifton Road and was well known for singing and playing his concertina walking around the local streets after leaving the Crown pub at closing time.Also her uncle, Harold Bayliss used to be the manager of The Golden Lion on the corner of Clifton Road and Upper Thomas Street. Does anyone remember them?

I remember Harold Bayliss from The Golden Lion,and have contact with another neice of his,who also lived in Clifton Rd.
I also remember Mr.Gardener and his daughter from The Crown.

Last edited:
Claribel,
look at post 49 on this thread, there is a photo.of the tunnel entry that lead to the back of No.79 Clifton Rd.also there is a relative of Harold Bayliss on there.

Last edited:
Thanks Ray, we have looked at the photo, and yes we found his sister Doris who is my wifes aunt. Is the relative that you are in contact with the daughter of Doris, Sonia?

G'day Claribel,
It is indeed Sonia who I know,she used to live near me,but has since moved away.
We have contact on facebook,she must be your wife's cousin.Doris is standing behind one of my cousins (a little boy shading his eye's),there are 9 of my cousins on the photo.

Hi Everyone, I lived in 168 Clifton Road when I was a baby and my Dad stayed there for a long time afterwards that was in the 1950's. My Dad's name was Albert Webb. It was lovely to see the photo of the street as it was then.

Vivien,
I posted two of the photo's on this thread, but can't see them now.Do they need replacing ?.

Hi Ray, There is the photo of the road on page 1. On page 4 & 5 just says Attached Thumbnails and you can't open them. There are great stories on this blog about Clifton Road.

Back