• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My old campaigner

S

Seabird

Although it's several years since he jumped the pearly gates, I thought you might like to see a photo of my old pal Telstar. We must have covered thousands of miles together, he was a natural endurance horse. I still miss him. RIP Telly.

View attachment 47332

Seabird what a magnificent horse. My one regret is I didn't keep up with riding....well family took up too much time! Wait till Jean see's him she loves horses. I am sure you miss him very much thanks for sharing the lovely photo of you both.

Seabird, what a beautiful horse! I am not suprised he was a natural endurance horse - he looks very solid and yet has a beautiful shaped head. I think if I saw that head over a stable door I would expect a much finer body. You look perfect together, no wonder you miss him so much. I love horses but haven't ridden for about 10 years.
Polly :)

Thank you for your replies Wendy and Pollypops.

Yes, Pollypops, he was quite a 'chunky monkey'. Guessed he could've been ID/Arab or Welsh cob/TB. But was always sound as a pound, and had attitude to spare. We would pass arabs on the route and leave them in our wake - his stamina was amazing.
I haven't ridden for a few years now - too much wear and tear on the old joints!

Tell us more Seabird, how long did you have Telstar, how many hands was he and what age did he jump his last pearly gate?

What's Frothblower doing on April 24th then? (I'm still trying to find my way round the site, so do excuse my ignorance)

I had Telly for about 15 years, he was 16hh, and I lost him in 1997 when he was aged about 24. He was acting the fool in the field with the others when he fell and broke his back. He had fabulous paces but was too excitable for dressage (we gave that up after jumping the judge's car....) He jumped like a stag but I was too chicken. We found our forte in endurance. He could do 50 miles and would still do a galloping finish. One in a million, I was so lucky.

Seabird, What a sad way for him to go. It sounds as if you had a lot of adventures with him. I think it looks as if he was part Arab -that would explain his pretty head and his stamina!
Polly

Back