• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

Many thanks, Phil, it certainly does! (pmc1947 eh? I was born that year too)
So my memory isn't too bad! But does Kelly's occasionally make mistakes, or was your initial posting placing Harry Beardes at # 443 taken from an earlier edition?
I remember when #449 wasn’t yet a turf accountant’s (as in your post #196), but as it was in the photograph in Post #199. I can’t explain why its sign says “Kenn’s”, in the late ‘50s/ early 60s the shop was owned by the family Talkington, and I’ve never seen the christian name written with two “n”s. Could someone explain this? David

Does this help? 1955 Electoral Roll listing. Kenneth Torkington obviously called his shop KENN'S by shortening his christian name in this perhaps unconventional fashion. The photo is dated 1961 in Alton's Book by the way.

And finally folks - David Harvey once more shows Bruce's and Plumley's in Sepia toned splendour circa 1948. The descriptions are very informative (IMHO) if you ignore the techie Tram stuff...

The jags are no longer there , in fact it looks rather nice !!!! The place is now Kingston Car repairs .I was unable to find out more info as i was on the bus. Max

But does Kelly's occasionally make mistakes, or was your initial posting placing Harry Beardes at # 443 taken from an earlier edition?

Hi David

The earlier version of Kelly's that I have is 1950, in that the Fish Frying Shop is owned by a George King. The reason why I named the shop (443) next to the greengrocers at 339-341 as Harry Beardes is because I have the same photo as you.

Phil

Dennis, in Post #202, you ask whether your contribution helps or not. It certainly does! Your having proven the shortening of Kenneth to the unusual Kenn clarifies the situation. Personally, I had never previously come across this unconventional abbreviated form of Kenneth. I had thought myself into believing that Kenn was a surname. Thank you, David
Thanks also - apart from your correct spelling of "Torkington"! - for Post #205. The description of that short stretch of Bordesley Green makes fascinating reading; excuse me, but even with the detailed explanations of trams. When I came to live "just around the corner "in Blake Lane, trams had long since disappeared.
Thanks again, David

Hello Phil, the photo I posted was thanks to Kevkonk, who found a stack of photographs in a skip, salvaged them and posted them on YouTube. I happened upon the "video" and posted it on this forum as "A Wealth of old Photographs of Birmingham" (or words to that effect) before finding out that we have a member registered as kevkonk too! With such as unusual user name, it must be the same person although I've enquired twice via two different threads without receiving confirmation.
If you look at the slight slope on the photo - and are fully familiar with Bordesley Green between Blake Lane and Fifth Avenue - you will realise that Bruce's if further from the city centre than the adjoining shop. Being closer, the house/shop number - by convention - is usually lower. This struck me immediately. Thanks for being so forthcoming with your invaluable information. David

Many thanks David, your comments are encouraging to a Newbie clod. Here is my final shot of that bit of BGE. It is accompanied by the following comments "On its inward journey into the City, car 315 has descended the hill from the original BG Terminus (where I lived by the way, see other photo for the Paper shop where I worked between leaving school and first and only job), and has just passed Fourth Avenue. It is opposite the newsagents shop of Horace Field, which carries a large hoarding for John Bull magazines, as well as one for Wills 'Star' cigarettes. Does this resonate with your queries re; Beardes v King etc?

I am 5 years older so just about remember the Trams..tokens even...and all the Clippies and Drivers from the 53 and 54 buses called in Smith's Paper shop for their Evening Mail and packet of Woodbines, so I got to know some of them quite well.

Dennis

Dennis, you don't really live up (or down) to your description of a "Newbie", and you certainly could never be termed a "clod"; neither word would be apt for someone who obviously has a sincere, deep interest in the east of Birmingham. The treasure of photographs you've posted on this very thread illustrate your enthusiasm for Bordesley Green and Stechford.
Just one small observation - not a criticism - but a precision; I think the caption of the shot of the tram could be slightly improved because it’s well past Fourth Avenue and, in fact, has already reached Third Avenue. Perhaps our experts who have access to directories could confirm that Horace Field’s newsagents shop was actually on the corner of Third Avenue.

Bordesley_Green-Third_Avenue.JPG

You’ll have to help me out with the shot of Stechford – or propose it as a quiz! – I just can’t place it. It must be a very long road because the shop number is 348 (?). But Bordesley Green East hasn’t got a gradual left curve in it - ummm, has it? I’m lost. David

Last edited:
Not sure if that is Stechford it looks like the row of shops just past the Richmond left hand side Bordesley Green East. Dek

Yeah boys, spot on. I have posted loads of stuff on this Forum under the Richmond Road thread, so I won't repeat myself. But here are some hitherto unpublished shots of that Terminus exactly opposite Denton Grove where my Nan dragged me up, and Richmond Rd round the corner where I lived and my parents also occasionally entered the fray...

The last mile or so of Tram track was extended to Stechford in 1926. Previously it ended at the Broadway (Belchers Lane). This corresponded to the large scale building expansion on both sides of the River Cole and beyond. Almost joined up to Yardley at Stoney Lane, but this came later.

Regarding the photo of Harry Smith's shop at 346 BGE near the junction with Stuarts Road, can anyone remember the name of the road that ran from Stuarts Road to Station Road? It was widened and renamed as a continuation of BGE in the 50's.

Icarus, It becomes The Meadway and downhill it goes over Station Rd, Stetchford, Police Station on the left and on to Kitts Green and on to The White Hart pub. Len.

Lencops... Yes, but what was the original name of the short road between Stuarts Road and Station Road/Stoney Lane before it was widened and renamed BGE in early '50s? Upto that time, BGE ended at #358 (Stuarts Road) and, by 1955, numbers continued up to about 480 (ending at Stoney Lane). The Meadway starts at Church Road.

Well after many phone calls to Brum City Council and digging through their web site , i was no nearer finding out what the place names around "The Legs" monument represented, and then in a blinding flash of inspiration ( or perspiration ) i realised that it, and photos that i have of another such monument have (placename,INTERCHANGE. They are in fact i think placed by Centro Travel , the one at Saltley actually bears the Centro logo .
So i will endeavour to glean information from them , i will i think have to go into their office which is of course in Bordesley. Max

Regarding the photo of Harry Smith's shop at 346 BGE near the junction with Stuarts Road, can anyone remember the name of the road that ran from Stuarts Road to Station Road? It was widened and renamed as a continuation of BGE in the 50's.

Remember it well Icarus, it was Royston Road. My mate Baz Dorman lived there at a house called "Pabajoto" . There were some scraggy old trees that separated the turnaound for the trams and buses, and the beginning of Royston Rd, Here's a 1938 map to prove it

Back