• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne

Hello Liz, Nice to see the picture of the J & I school on the High Street. I have never seen a photo of my school, which is a pity. Station Road school closed about a year after I left there and 'pupils' as we were called then were transferred to the new school in Harborne Hill. If your brother went to Station Road school he would remember Mr Stanton the Headteacher and Mr Abel his Deputy.

On the Schools and Schoolfriends section on the Forum, there are 3 threads which relate to Station Road school. There are a couple of photos which show the Head and Deputy, football team and 'pupils'.
Hi Anthea i think i have got this wrong then the school my brother went to was on the corner of Station Rd and Emerson Rd,and i
thought that photo was that school,

Liz, I think your brother went to the same Station Road school as myself and Emerson Road ran off Station Road which was the first road down from where you used to live. Your photo is of the Junior and Infant school with clocktower in High Street, the corner of York Road. So your brother may remember some of the teachers I can recall which are on my Post as I mentioned previously. Anthea.

Liz, I think your brother went to the same Station Road school as myself and Emerson Road ran off Station Road which was the first road down from where you used to live. Your photo is of the Junior and Infant school with clocktower in High Street, the corner of York Road. So your brother may remember some of the teachers I can recall which are on my Post as I mentioned previously. Anthea.
Hi Anthea my brother went to that school about 1965/66 it was an infant and junior school then, when he left there he went to Harborne Hill senior school,

Hi my house was the third in the row sorry Anthea i dont know what i have done i got a photo of Station Rd and posted it to show you where i lived but i seem to have lost all the photos,,,Heres the photo mines the one with the cat in the window
23612_1028742397469_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1952 Itook a girl to the Royalty cinema,to see the film Singing in the Rain,I walked her home singing the theme song to her all the way to her house.She must have enjoyed it,she is now sat next to me,and I still sing to her.:):):)

hi liz /anthea
what was the name of the picture house next to the bus station behind the duke of york, my dad would take me there as a boy to see "shane", Attack, his favourite actor in those days was Jack Palance we saw all his films, and do either of you remember the posh sweet shop over the road from the swimming baths, I used to drool over their box's of chocolates on the window display.
paul

thanks ray I don't suppose it is still there some one told me the duke and bus station was gone so I suspect so was the the old harborne.

Paul,
The last time I was around there the "Old Harborne" was a factory.
But it could all be gone by now.:rolleyes:

hi .i had my first son in lordswood maternity home in 1965.i beleive its been demolished for some time now.ill never forget that experience. there were twin irish nurses on delivery room that night .i really thought i was hallucinating ..must have been the gas and air they shoved on you .lolxx ill always remember staff nurse foster .she was so kind....she went to bham maternity hospital years later .where i worked .i recognised her straight away......

:)
hi .i had my first son in lordswood maternity home in 1965.i beleive its been demolished for some time now.ill never forget that experience. there were twin irish nurses on delivery room that night .i really thought i was hallucinating ..must have been the gas and air they shoved on you .lolxx ill always remember staff nurse foster .she was so kind....she went to bham maternity hospital years later .where i worked .i recognised her straight away......
Hi Sandra my two sisters had children there first one 1959 my eldest niece,last one1968 another niece,it was a nice place,if you look
back a couple of posts you will see my old front door lol

hello Liz
I went to a roman catholic school in harborne, for a few mth's when I was about 7 yrs old, I hated it and mom moved me to Our Ladys in weoley castle it was down the road on the RHS of the police station and throyalty then you turned left do you remember the name of this school and is it still there.
regards
paul

St. Mary's Catholic Primary School

Harborne, Birmingham
(Replacement)

Vivian Road, Harborne, Birmingham, is this the one you mean
its still there i believe

Attachments

• Harborne St Mary's Vivian Rd.JPG
    Harborne St Mary's Vivian Rd.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 43
Hi Paul, The school you went to when you were seven may have been St Mary's in St Mary's Road and by the Catholic Church. I often went to the Old Harborne Cinema, otherwise known as 'the flea pit' for obvious reasons. I remember waiting outside for the doors to open when Cornel Wilde was in a film which I 'think' was called Robin Hood and his Merry Men. The sweet shop you mentioned may have been called Whithers, but I'm not absolutely sure. Anthea.

Liz. I remember those houses where you lived as I used to pass them several times a day for several years. The crane in the photo was probably preparing the ground for the garage which I last saw in 1997 when I came to Devon to live. Anthea.

Hi Paul, The school you went to when you were seven may have been St Mary's in St Mary's Road and by the Catholic Church. I often went to the Old Harborne Cinema, otherwise known as 'the flea pit' for obvious reasons. I remember waiting outside for the doors to open when Cornel Wilde was in a film which I 'think' was called Robin Hood and his Merry Men. The sweet shop you mentioned may have been called Whithers, but I'm not absolutely sure. Anthea.

Hi Liz, Glad your photos were restored. I remember those houses where you lived as I used to pass them several times a day for several years. The crane in the photo was probably preparing the ground for the garage which I last saw in 1997 when I came to Devon to live. Anthea.
Sadly i think not Anthea, the garage was there when i lived there, and it would seem that photo is probably no more than a couple of years old,there is a lot of development going on in Harborne at the moment according to my nephew

Hi Liz, I wonder what is being built where the garage used to be? I know several places I used to know have gone, such as the Duke of York where apartments now stand. I have been trying to locate a site with pictures of Harborne before and after which shows these changes, but I can't locate it now. It was put on the Forum about a year ago.

Anthea.

Hi Liz, I wonder what is being built where the garage used to be? I know several places I used to know have gone, such as the Duke of York where apartments now stand. I have been trying to locate a site with pictures of Harborne before and after which shows these changes, but I can't locate it now. It was put on the Forum about a year ago.

Anthea.
Hi i will ask my nephew i think he will know,but i'm not sure of the photos you mention,we should ask the people who post most of the photos if they have any of Harborne before redevelopment,i'll look as well

thanks to anthea and liz for that information, I am keeping a record of everything I am getting as my memory is starting to fail, after a small stroke thank you for all the info although I never lived in harborne I seemed to have always been in or around it for most of my childhood. my dad worked part time in the duke of york, mom worked in woolies and earlier as a part time clippy, I had my first hair cut aged 5 yrs in the barbers across the island opposite to the D O Y, I had some schooling, started at the saturday childrens cinema (Royalty) at 6 or 7 yrs, drank coffee had chips and and later drank beer, and had mates and girlfriends there and as my dear mom and dad have now passed on there is no where else to get these childhood memories from. If I duplicate any requests I apologise but it is really great for me to talk to you all.
kind regards
paul

Anthea.
HI Anthea my neice say's its still a garage,my nephew is not so sure, he said he will have a look when he passes

Liz, Thank you for asking your relatives about what is on the corner of Station Road - garage or ?

Liz and Paul, I have found the pictures I was looking for of Harborne 'then and now' but you will have to Google the following : photo dj norton Harborne. There are pictures of Rose Road as it used to look and if you click on the picture, Rose Road as it is now appears. Also the Duke of York, etc.

Anthea.

Back