• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

birmingham 1969-73

Next to the Anchor in Bradford St was The J.B.Machine Tool Company (view 20). This had been there since before 1932. Before, in 1921, it was the Birmingham & Midland Counties Transport Co,

20A__Nos_308-314_Bradford_St_.jpg

Clevedon Road is a road that still exists, unlike some others in the vicinity of Balsall Heath. It first appears around 1875. However none of the original buildings remain. Right at the top (view 9.), though actually listed as 122 Balsall Heath Road, is an indian food shop, probably the last occupant of the site. No name is above the door, but it is presumably a grocer named Hussein, who was there from at least 1964 to 1971. To the left (124 Balsall Heath Road) can be seen a Fosters wine and spirit merchants, which is shown better in the second photograph (view 12). From about 1890 to the first war the whole site (nos 122 and 124) was a grocers, and before that, there was one at 124 since about 1875, though this may have been in different buildings. Between the wars 122 was a coffee or refreshment rooms, then becoming a fish and chip shop until again a grocers occupied the site.
Moving down Clevedon Road slightly , the alley between Mr Hussein’s shop and the doctors surgery (no 66 Clevedon Road) was Jakemans Walk (view 8). It is viewed better when views 8 & 9 are combined (view panorama 8+9). further down Clevedon Road you can see that demolition has already started. No 66 had been a surgery for over 15 years, but it in 1899, very shortly after it was built, it housed a boot maker, it being used for that up till the 1950, when it was briefly a secondhand shop. In the distance on the right you can just see the end of the houses the other side of the road and the trees of Calthorpe Park. Jakeman's Walk was, from the 1880s, a narrow lane running from the junction of Balsall Heath Road and Clevedon road to next to 13 Clevedon Road The other end of Jakeman's Walk had been a rope walk run by John Wilkinson, When these pictures (views 11,15,16) were taken it was very derelict, as can be seen. The first photo was taken from the back of a few houses down the walk of from the junction with Balsall Heath Road, looking towards Calthorpe Park, while the last two are from the centre of the walk looking towards Balsall Heath Road .
The row of houses shown in the last photo was called Westwood Place (view 7). Many of the blocks built around that time had names , but it is unlikely that anyone remembers this, and virtually none are recorded in directories (unless of course it was a separate block set back in a court). We only know because this photograph was taken and , by chance, the namestone was not so corroded as to be unreadable.

9A__cox_St_West_corner_clevedon_rd.jpg

12A__Balsall_Heath_Road_corner_Cox_St_West.jpg

8A__Clevedon_road.jpg

PanoramaA_8_and_9B.jpg

s_walk~0.jpg

15A_Jakeman_Walk.jpg

16A_Jakeman_Walk.jpg

7A__houses_clevedon_Road.jpg

Looking back Clevedon Road from where the demolition has started towards Balsall Heath Road (view 5), you can see the side of Pinnock's Home Furnishers, entrance in Longmore St, which is having a sale, possibly a closing down sale. the shop on the right in Clevedon Road must be no 58, once occupied by Mrs J.M.Duke, Dyer and Cleaner. The next photo (view 6) shows the four houses where demolition is almost complete and then (view 4) some where it has not yet started. This photo shows the sign for Teddy's Office Works in Park Place. Park Place is not listed in any directory or map, and I cannot find Teddy's in any directory. However this is not the only place to record them, as the signs are to be found, pictured slightly earlier, before the dereliction, by Bob Moore in his book of photographs of Balsall Heath "Tapestry of Life", Further along (view 3) the Ansells off-licence was no 51 and looks as if it might still be occupied. It was once Mrs M.E. Court , beer retailer, but was not listed as such in the directories since about 1966. Originally a large double plot building , it had been a beer retailer since at least 1880, though for a short time after it was built in the 1870’s it is listed as being run by John Day, who was a shopkeeper. However, although George Robinson was listed as beer retailer in the 1900 Kellys, the 1901 census does not mention this, but lists him as a builder. Presumably the beer retailing was done by his wife and eldest daughter, his second daughter being in the jewellery trade. Behind the building to the left of the off-licence was , for ten years or so up to 1970 E Lev, pickle manufacturer. The shop to the right of the off licence ( no 50 Clevedon st) was Mrs Doris Seager, clothier, and remaining over the door. can just be seen "Seagers, outfitters". No 50 can also just be seen to the far left of the next picture (view 2)
At the far end of the street, at the junction with Cox St West (view 13), the corner spot is here a Bookies, but this is very recent. From before 1932 up to about 1969 the corner had been a doctor’s surgery, the last incumbent being Mr Timberlake. Before it belonged to a furniture dealer , a glass warehouse and a grocers.

5A__Clevedon_road.jpg

6A__Clevedon_road.jpg

4A__Clevedon_road.jpg

3A__Clevedon_road.jpg

2A__Cleveland_Road.jpg

13A__Corner_Clevedon_Road__cox_St_west.jpg

mike

Here the houses on the west side of Clevedon Road have been demolished except for no 119, the end house closest to Calthorpe Park (views 9 & 10). This seems to have been built around 1880 as a pub, the Calthorpe Arms, and originally backed onto the River Rea, before the river was diverted around 1900. The first landlord seems to have been James Edward Harmer , who is listed in the 1881 census as a clothier, so presumably, as was common, his wife Lucy ran the pub. It was almost certainly a beerhouse. For a period around 1900 it seems to have just operated as an outdoor (off-licence), but was certainly back as a pub in the 1930s. Possibly it also acted for a period as the “Park Refreshment Rooms”, as displayed on the side of the building. However, the area, including the pub, was severely damaged by bombing in WW2, and it was not used as a pub after the war. Originally there was a large back building across the back yard which was occupied by a stonecutter, Isaac Little. This had a number of occupants, including a cigar /cigarette-making family, the Cohens, but seems to have been destroyed in the bombing.

9A__Calthorpe_Arms.jpg

10C__calthorpe_arms.jpg

Hi Mike

The threads going great guns I'm glad to say. It gives me the chance to say "see I told you so"......... You know I'm only joking.

I hope you don't mind if I answer Elizabeth's post with the only photo of William Henry St. It comes from an article that I believe was about the last family living in a terrace in William Henry St while it was being demolished in 1969.

I said "the only one I have ever seen" because I know for a fact once I have said that dozens will turn up.

Phil

01/12/11. I obviously meant William Edward St here.

Attachments

• Highgate William Edward St.jpg
    Highgate William Edward St.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
hi mike
many , many thanks for showing and shareing those nostalga
photo,s of upper portland street and around ansells brewery
you have taken me back to my old hunting and childhood days of aston
i can recall alot about ansells
from the very first year they ever started to redevelop
the brewery from end to the other end and up and around the brewery
when i looked at the pictfromwainwright st
i could se the old terace space where we lived and old matys shop and parkes and the other shops
and the times i have walked up thebig hill with my mail boots in the winter and the racing up and down around victoria rd
with the kids on the block no one could ever beat me on the sunday morning challenges
thanks for the memories mike
best wishes astonion ;;

Cox st west
Photo 14
Carrying on from a few months ago at #106, we turn the corner from Clevedon road into Cox St West. At the left is Royce car hire, though directories of the time list it as Bones private car hire, which can be seen better in the last shot in # 106. It is part of no 48, the first use of which recorded is as part of a glass warehouse . By the shape of the pavement in the 1890 OS map it was in fact probably an entrance at that time into which vehicles came. This has now been filled in to make an office. Just before WW1 no 48 was a mixture of a brush maker and Cox St West social club, while after the first war it was used by a printer, a cabinet maker and around 1967 the building was shared with a turf accountant by two tailors, Scotowicz and Betker. The four houses to the right were almost certainly built for residential purposes, although the one on the right (no 44) was used for a time as a shop. The left hand one (47) at the turn of the century housed a cycle enameller and a fishing tackle maker, while no 46 was used by a painter and decorator. On the far right Lincoln Street Motors (39-48) was a relatively new building built around 1960 on a site that had always had an industrial use, shoe rivet making being the most recent, this developing from horseshoe-making when the demand for these diminished. An iron kettle maker and a chandelier maker once also occupied part of the site.
Photo 15
When the photo was taken no 39 Cox St West was partly listed as being part of Lincoln St motors , but also by joiners Bowen & Deeley and a French polishing firm. In 1956 it belonged to physician & surgeon, but, for most of its life seems to have been a private residence.
Photo 16
To the left of the picture is a space. No 38 Cox Street West was destroyed by bombing in the war. The Solid Brass Ring Co. (no 37) had been doing business since the late 1940s, first describing itself as a curtain ring manufacturer and later a brass chain manufacturer. Around the time of the bombing which destroyed its neighbour it was a wholesale upholsterer and earlier, together with buildings either side, a garage run by William Hatfield. However, earlier incarnations had been the home of William Dawkins (1890-97), who first described himself as a photographic frame manufacturer, but later expanded this to photographic apparatus manufacturer, and from the end of WW1 up to 1932 no 35-37 were the home of Blackhams, brassfounders., and a part of this previous to this was Lycett & Co, brassfounders. Houses immediately to the right of it held many trades, often only for a year or so, including whip maker, window blind maker, leather boot lace maker, tinplate worker and tortoiseshell folder maker.

14B__Cox_St__West__west_side.jpg

15B_Cox_st_west_west_side.jpg

16C__Cox_st_west_west_sideA.jpg

Queens College was formed by W.Sands Cox in 1830. He took over an old chapel in Paradise St and, with the aid of others, set up a small medical school there. One of the “others” was Dr. S.W.Warnford, a wealthy clergyman, who, with large gifts, encouraged the addition of theology and other subjects. Eventually a charter was granted and gothic buildings designed by Drury & Bateman were built on the site. Eventually all but the theology department went to Masons College, which became the University of Birmingham. In later years the buildings housed a number of diocesan offices together with accountants, sporting associations, Scrutons the tailors and the Ikon Gallery, but the unorderly mass of buildings was demolished around 1972 to give the rather bland block that is there today. They did keep a part of the frontage as a token.
The following pictures show the demolition of what was by then called Queens College Chambers, taken from Swallow St , or in some cases beyond Swallow St. Finally there is a rather nice pattern of original cobbles in Swallow St, the sort that planners now spend many thousands in laying in our city centres, but which nowadays are often in quite soft brick which breaks and wears. If it doesn’t break and wear some “authority” will take great pleasure in digging them up at the slightest whim, often using unskilled labour to replace them, or just asphalting over the space.
Mike

Hi Mike

Just stumbled on this great thread and was mesmerised. Now I have been looking for some reference to Summer Street for years. The pic of SwallowSt just after these posts from TerryB is the only vague ref I have. My elders lived at No 16 Summer Street for many years in the 1840s - 60s. You must have been standing in or around the corner of Summer St/Swallow St when you took these beauties. Have you a close up map pic of No 16 Summer St by any chance pretty please? That would be fantastic. Plus, these should be PUBLISHED!!! They are too important to just sit here. Get John Houghton to fix it!

Dennis
I think no 16 was in the part demolished for the station as the numbering goes down the west side to navigation st and then up the east side. No 15 , the Acorn inn was on the east side corner with Navigation st.So the only map i have is the 1839 one below.I have roughly marked in red where no 16 would be
Mike

Summer_st_map_1839_showing_no_16_approx_.jpg

Brilliant Mike. That's just about where the signal box is, around bottom of what is now Brunel Street/Navigation St junction. By the Red Cage Parking monstrosity. That's very useful for my research. Now back to your absorbing photos and tales...

Thanks Mike for such lovely photos!! The ones in the Jewellry QTR remind me so much of when i worked at Fattorinis when i was 17. I Was training to be an enameller,and week in week out i was doing badges for The Isle of Man .I was seeing those Three Legs in my sleep.You could walk straight out of one job into another then 1967/68.

Hi mike many thanks for your additional info yet again you have come up try PS with your pictures and of course covering the story line of the illesleys
Coal merchants of church lane and mainly for mentioning there bussines of the gun trade because the ilsellys lady or one of them was a member of the jelfs
And with the backing of the jelfs set up the gun and sports business in the city whom finance the illesly family of making the illesley pistols
I learnt this from my daughters friend whom is a well known lady around the midlands and my daughter associates with this lady today in business with her
And by chance my daughter met her one evening and she asked about her family and my daughter told her that I am an Aston lad
And that my mother was a held and told them of my grand parents family from Worcestershire in honeybourne
And she said that's a coincide so do mine meaning her self her relatives are the jelfs as well then she told her the story of her grand mother married the illesly
The coal merchants of church lane and later she told her of the gun business and how they set up in the gun trade selling pistols
I do believe its Mary Samuel jelfs daughter from fernill heath a big land and farm owner back in the period you have said
But I recall my mother when I was a kid living along the red from them fetching the coal from the very house and yard that mom said they are related
To her being the held but it was jelfs whom finance the illesley which would have been Marys father the wealthy farmer
A few back now on this forum I did an article about the jelfs and there land owner ships for generation and of Samuel and his farm and the other jelfs
These are the generations of George William held the senior one from the 1800 and before whom created all the business
It can be abitmis leading as they had three or four Georges he had an older son George and he had a son calledgeorge he would have been the grand son to
The George William whom died in sept 15 1935 this grand son George died early in the thirty
But that's where Mary Ann came from to the illesly and one of these guys of the jelfs was also a gun barrelled that I do know
I have it listed but also I first found out from some guy whom specialized like you in the genolgy dept and said his own dad worked as a gun barrallor as well
Along side of held as he recalls
I am going to down load this info tomorrow and the picture of illesleys house and yard and make a copy to give it to our friend sue whom will be ecstatic
To see her grand mothers house of illesleys and the coal yard and the tit bit you put about the gun trade and see for her self of what she told me area years back is true she will be ecstatic and me myself is electricfyed many thanks mikebest wishes astonian Alan,,,,,,,

The Osborne tower is in the background of The Golden Arrow, at the junction of Gladstone st. and Church Lane. I should think this café was the last original building in the area. It had been a grocers from its erection around 1883 till the late 1950s, only changing use to a café for about ten years.
The next looks like it is showing the school in vicarage road again, but there seem to be extra buildings to the right part of the school compared to the first picture in #7.
No idea where the next photo is, though almost certainly in the same area, but perhaps someone recognises it
The next is 90 Church Lane, Aston. This site seems to have largely worked in metal trades. In 1900 Benjamin Bloomer, nail & boot protector maker worked there, in 1921 it was a shoeing smith, George Murrell, while in 1936 Sydney Barnett made chair frames chair frame, but by 1946 it had become Regent cleaners.
Last is one that almost certainly will never be identified, though again in the same area

4B__jnction_Gladstone_st_church_lane.jpg

5B_vicarage_rd_school.jpg

6A.jpg

7A__90_church_lane2C_aston.jpg

8A.jpg

Taken more than five years I know, but only this week has there been published a photo of the "Golden Arrow" cafe in its operational days. Courtesy Daily Mirror
https://www.mirrorpix.com/webgate/preview.php?UURL=9f623c2aec4520c3584eba5d208ac496&IMGID=00724253

Oh them pics bring back memories, lived in that area 3 times, born in Queens Rd in 1930 left in 1935 (moved to Sheldon) returned to Queens Rd to live with my Nan after my Mum died in 1943 till joining RAF in 1948, then finally moving to Vicarage Rd on demob in 1956 (was then married) till buying our house in Erdington in 1962. Recognise pic off Aston Manor School, went to the infants section in 1935 for 6 months before moving to Sheldon. Happy days. Eric

Great photos Mike, an act of true perseverance! Been looking to see if I can find any of the places on Streetview and chuffed to discover that the Frank Clissolds building is still there on the corner of Vyse and Hockley Streets (re. Post #40).Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1420135476.170419.jpg

I'm on a roll. Re. Post #24: the Duoro Wine Shop building on the corner of Lodge and Ford Streets has survived along with the row of shops in Lodge Road. Not looking great, but still there! Very surprised these were left alone given the high rise development around and the 60s/70s trend to bulldoze and build afresh. But maybe it was left as a local shopping parade for the new residents. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1420140561.991736.jpg

The last set of pictures from Cox St West showed the Solid Brass Ring Co at no 37 and buildings to the right of it. The first photo below (labeled 19) is looking from the other end of the row of houses in the opposite direction, and shows nos 29-36. The second photo (labeled 17) shows just nos 29-25, with a small part of no 23/24. It can be seen that many had been at least partially rebuilt after bomb damage during WW2, and they probably inside bore little resemblance to the original buildings. As has already been mentioned, these houses were occupied by a wide range of occupations. In the 1880s at no 31 lived a dairyman, though his cows could not have been at that property, while at no 34 was a leather boot lace maker. By 1900 no 34 was The Calthorpe Laundry Co. Before WW1 no 29, the shop in both pictures with corrugated iron across the windows was a greengrocers run by William Brewer, but from WW1 till about 1966 it was occupied by Joseph Jackson, furniture dealer. No 29A, to the left of no 29 and with a gated entrance, were G & W Wedgebury, coachbuilders from the 1880s till just after 1900, and then became C.H.Smith, architectural metal workers.. Various other metal working firms occupied the site till the late 1960s, the last being The Birmingham Shafting Collar & Transmission Co Ltd, whose nameboard is on the entrance doors in the picture. For (very) brief time around 1940 it was the home of the Effmon Aircraft component Co. No 23/24 was a relatively modern building , J Hipwell & Son, metal spinners, who are now at Tyseley

19B__Cox_St_West_west_side.jpg

17A__Cox_st_west_west_side.jpg

once again wonderful photos mike thank goodness you had the foresight to take them

lyn

Just had a browse of your photos again Mike. A really great record. I especially like the ones where there's evidence of small industry that went on in domestic premises. Did wonder if it's worth flagging up the photos you and Phil weren't able to identify? You never know someone might recognise the buildings and /or be nice to explore them again. Viv.

Just had a browse of your photos again Mike. A really great record. I especially like the ones where there's evidence of small industry that went on in domestic premises. Did wonder if it's worth flagging up the photos you and Phil weren't able to identify? You never know someone might recognise the buildings and /or be nice to explore them again. Viv.

Mike

I think this would be a good idea, because as you know since we originally tried to put a name to the untagged photos I have managed to come up with locations for one or two more, but on the whole there are still a number that mystify me and I would like to see given a name. I still go back to them from time to time but am no wiser than I was back then. See this post gas got me thinking about them again, so I'm off now for another look.

I still have a lot more photos to add, and will be doing so. Some unidentified phortos , as you can see, people have identified and , when tidying up the thread I have put the appropriate identifications (with acknowledgenebts ) with the photo. How do you suggest would be the best way to flag the unidentified photos? A new thread perhaps?

Yes Mike I think a new thread would be the right way to go, I could even suggest one or two from the 50 or so that I still have unidentified and that drive me buts every time I look at them.

I think that there are a few like rear views of half demolished buildings that are never going to be identified but there are some buildings that have to be easily recognisable if you have seen them before or if you lived in the district where they were located. So the more people that see them the more chance they will be identified.

Mike - I've only today discovered this thread, and have just spent a couple of hours captivated by your unique visual record of a Birmingham I never knew. Of course the ruination and demolition are poignant, yet these are hugely impressive photos - full of texture, detail and atmosphere. Have you considered publishing them in a book?

Did think about it some years ago , but was put off when i was told to produce a whole draft to publisher, then they might consider it, but implied they would expect me to buy the books at cost off them and do all the marketing.
There are a lot more pictures for the thread, but I like to do a bit of research for the notes to go with them.

Last edited:
When I moved to Devon in 1954 it seems that, apart from what the Luftwaffe had achieved, most of Birmingham was relatively intact. The widespread demolition portrayed in so many pics on this web site does pose a question (which may have been answered)
c045.gif
and that is where did all that rubble and other debris get dumped?

There was then a gap in the houses, a result, I think, of wartime bomb damage. The next view shows the remaining buildings on the west side of the street down to Balsall Heath Road. At the far end can just be seen the building which was once Fosters, shown in post 62,
Close to it some shops, judging by the shop blinds, are still occupied. They would have been at 1/2 C. H. Beasely & Son, tailors, next to 3/4 Harris Bros, grocers, previously in the 1940s a cycle dealers.. At no 6 was a ladies outfitters, at the end called Mary's, but previously Lelis Frank Bradbury. Towards the front of the picture can be seen Kalyal Co Ltd, drapers at no 11, previously in the 1950s a greengrocer, while before WW2 a newsagent. The building to the left of it at no 12 was a restaurant/csfe. the last occupant being called the Anglo-Pak Restaurant, but the previous owner was A. Miah with dining rooms.

14___11__Cox_st_west_B.jpg

Going up the east side of Cox St West, the first shot is of nos 98-100 with half of 97 and 101. The two plaques mark the entrances to Alfred Place (left) and Herbert Place (right). There had been a zinc works behind the houses in 1880 (The Byrne Works, later called the Colonial Works) owned by John Mould, who moved there from Sherlock St about 1880, but that seems to have gone by about 1895. In the period of 40 years after these houses were built, a large proportion seem to have had various businesses run from them with the person concerned and type of business changing very frequently. Of the five shown here (whole or in part), at no 97 was a stationer in 1880, wood turner in 1888, herbalist in 1895, bakery in 1900 and draper in 1910. Next to it at 98, it changed from drapers in 1880, cycle maker in 1884, second hand clothes dealer in 1888, & 1895, back to a second hand clothes dealer in 1900, and had become home to a cycle dealer in 1910. No 99 seems to have kept to a clothes theme, being a drapers in 1880, , a boot and shoe manufacturer owned by the Dickensian-sounding Eleazar Wagstaff in 1884, a male dressmaker in 1888, whose business, by 1895 was run by his wife, a milliner in 1900 and an upholsterers in 1910. No 100 was relatively stable, having furniture dealers living there in in the 1880s and a cabinet maker for some years after that. Another new trade, other than cycle manufacture, also was in the area briefly, in that in 1888 a house in Alfred Place was occupied by a photographer.
In later years there was less change. Joseph Stagg was an upholsterer at no 99 for many years, and when he retired in the mid 1930s the house became a circulating library for about ten years, but commercial activity then seems to have left these buildings, they presumably being only used for housing

64__cox_st_west_east_sideA.jpg

The next shot is slightly further down and shows nos 93-96. The two closed alleyways led (left to right respectively) to Oakfield place and Clarence Place , and with careful examination you can just about read those names on the Plaques above. At the time of this photo the buildings in these courts had been gone awhile, as they are absent in the c1951 OS map. nos 93 & 94 on the right were , in the late 1880s occupied by a tailoress and a dressmaker, though the dressmaker in the early 1890s was replaced by a jeweller from Holland. In the 1891 census James Moore at no 96 was retired and he and his wife Jane were "living on his own account", so presumably reasonably well off to be able to do so at that time.

0__cox_st_west_east_side_nos_93-96_A.jpg

The next two shots are shortly before others of further down the east side of Cox ST West. They run together, and in one the trees at the far left must be Calthorpe Park, which means that these are the back of houses in Jakeman Walk. This is (slightly ) supported by the chimneypots, most of which are of similar white design with jagged tops, as are the ones of Jakeman Walk in post 62 of this thread. the photos would have been taken from a similar position to the earlier twp, but looking in the opposite direction.

2C_Back_of_Jakeman_Walk.jpg

1B_Back_of_Jakeman_Walk.jpg

Fantastic photos - oozing with atmosphere. Note the shadowy figure in the alley (first picture): a descendant of Eleazar Wagstaff, I imagine. And the strange bricking-up of the bay window in the second shot, even though the frame itself appears freshly painted.

absolutely fantastic mike...pic 1 post 88 those lads are posing for you lol and like viewfinder i find the shadowy figure of someone walking up the entry very atmospheric...without you and your camera these images would have been lost in time...in fact i will go so far as to say that you carried on where phyllis nicklin left off

thanks mike

lyn

Last edited:
Back