• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ansells Brewery

hello jean, yes that is john cronin snr, he was one of life's true gentlemen, i know the quality of the picture is not very good

but johns son bernard is situated on the back row. if you want i can post the names of the other team members most of whom
if not all worked for ansells.

Paulyx that would be a help. I think Bernard did the door down the club at the dances etc. Kevin has gone up in the world at Carlsberg but Pete said that was always on the cards. Jean.

Just reading this topic and sorry to say Richard but Dennis Hopkins lived in Great Barr - his wife was called Margaret if my memory serves me correctly and she was English.

One of my relatives played football for Ansells and knew Dennis very well, in fact they lived just around the corner from each other.

williamjukes

William Margarets sister Kath lives opposite us. Margaret often pops in to see her. I played darts [when they were desperate] for the Ansells ladies team and the sisters played too. Jean.

Last edited:
JohnO. You would have loved Pete's job as he was also a sampler. Never ever drove to work as you can guess. Jean.

What a lucky bloke! Well, he must have made a damned good job of it, as it was a lovely drink....ah, the memories!

Any of you remember my dad "Ramrod" Ron Timmins (also known as "Cowboy") or my Uncle, Sid Timmins who was the Ansells Youth Team Football Coach or my other Uncle David "Spuddy" Baker. They all worked as draymen in the 60's and early 70,s ?

Chocks Pete has popped over Castle Brom and when he gets back I will ask him. If not my brother I am sure will remember them as he used to check the lorries loads both in and out. He knew most of the draymen in those days. I have quite a list for him when he comes back off holiday. Jean.

Chocks Pete said Cowboy moved to Aldridge and was on the bottles if it is the same person. He was at Aston Cross prior to that. Jean.

Thats right Jean, that is my dad. Sid and Spuddy left at about the same time. My dad stayed with them until the end of the strike and then they wanted to make him a manager because he was a strong union man and they wanted to quell his union activities. He refused the promotion and left.

Chocks2

I believe David "Spuddy" Baker played football for the 3rd team around the early 1970's - possibly prior to - and also after Dennis Hopkins took over as their manager.

williamjukes

Chocks2

I believe David "Spuddy" Baker played football for the 3rd team around the early 1970's - possibly prior to - and also after Dennis Hopkins took over as their manager.

williamjukes

Hi Wiiliam. Spuddy did play football for Ansells but I don't know if it was the third team or what. I do know that he played in a game at Villa Park against the Rover some time in the early 70's

HI, CHOCKS, i USED TO GO TO THE ROEBUCK IN ERDINGTON WITH YOUR MOM AND DAD,SPUD,FARMER DICK, BUNNY AND MANY MORE, THEY WHERE GREAT FRIDAY NIGHTS OUT. MIKE

Blimey Mike, You must have met me at some time or other. We still see Dick every now and then but I haven't seen Bunny for years. I used to go down the Villa every week with Bunny.

Re: Brewery near Woodcock Street

holts brewery was in holt street .the next street down from woodcock street. NORMAN SALTER. WHO LIVED NEARBY IN HOWE STREET IN 1930.

Richard asked Pete but he can't remember anyone by that name. Pete said to ask him if he has a brother by the name of Steve [Stevie]?. TTFN. Jean.

Last edited:
The Deers Leap, Mitchells & Butlers well known logo, re- the farmer mentioned was the grain for animals?. Len.

Attachments

• 540x360[2].jpg
    540x360[2].jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 8
my dad worked there for years, we loved it, as kids there was a christmas party and a present every year it was great. I think my dad told them I was a boy!!! got an action man diver and a pair of football boots!!!!!!

Re: The strike of 1981.

:D Does anyone remember the strike of 1981 at Ansells?. My brother used to work at Holte Street and my husband was on the fermentation side of the brewing at Aston Cross. He later moved to Aldridge and finished at Carlsberg Gravely Park. :D Bye for now. Jean.

Oooh yes my Dad was there then, touch times for us. He was a drayman

Tiggy tell your dad that Mick Foley passed away just before Xmas and Vick Perrins just a few days ago. Jean.

my dad worked there for years, we loved it, as kids there was a christmas party and a present every year it was great. I think my dad told them I was a boy!!! got an action man diver and a pair of football boots!!!!!!
Hi Tiggy i worked at ansells brewery Asto Cross in the 60s. worked there for eleven years, had some great times. had some great friends sadly a lot of them have passed away which there used to be a good sports club at the brewery used to take my kids to the Christmas parties,
what brewery did your dad work for, and what was his surname, i may have knew him.

Hi Tiggy i worked at ansells brewery Aston Cross in the 60s. worked there for eleven years, had some great times. had some great friends sadly a lot of them have passed away which there used to be a good sports club at the brewery used to take my kids to the Christmas parties,
what brewery did your dad work for, and what was his surname, i may have knew him.
brilliant days

Hi richard and our friend
so you was not working there in the days the people had to wear the wooden cloggs
around the brewery when they popped up the rd to the astons cake shop or diggers the paper shop or goldbergs ladies shop
all along to mellors they would walk up from the cross all the ansells workers poping out in there lunch hour
strutting up in there wooden cloggs i used to be a bit fasinated by these people in brown overalls and funny looking shoes whioch i was told cloggs
every liunch time when i was a toddler there was this very old man and he would see me and buy me a penny bag of biscuits from astons the cake shop at the bottom of our terrace just after the war best wishes astonian

Hi all
my late father in law named albert palmer worked at ansells all of his working life.he worked
many years on the drays also as a yard supervisor and on security.after he retired he spent many
years on the committee of the pensioners club.my wife ann and her sister joan would like to know
if any one remembers him .joan also worked at ansells in the offices.
She married bill duckett also a drayman there

Hi i worked at Ansells Brewery in the 60s as a drayman i knew your father Albert Palmer.
yes he was a yard supervisor. the tranport manager was Jones (popeye) as we new him,
i remember when i first went working on the drays i was told to drive one of the large trucks
with a trailer called the Hippo, i said to Albert i can't drive one of them, he turned round to me and said nows yor chance to learn,It was one of the best jobs i ever had, good men to work with as well
regards,
richard,;)

I was involved in the strike at Ansells, Jimmy Hill and Ken Bradley were shop stewards at the timeit was a bad strike,
We were on the front page of the Birmingham Mail,and i think there was a tanker turned over in the brewery yard,

Hi richard
glad you remembered albert.he was my father in law not my father.
Your post has cheered my wife up as it is our golden wedding onfriday
and he would have been giving her away 50 years ago in the morning.

Back