• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Saltley & Alum Rock

Macca

I thought the Railway Station was higher up on the bridge, the workmen look as if they are just turning out of Metropolitan Rd (now a trading estate). There were several large factories down there but I wouldn't mind betting they were turning out of the Metropolitan Railway Carriage & Waggon Co Ltd, forerunner of Metropolitan Cammel Works.

Phil

Macca
Phil

I thought the Railway Station was higher up on the bridge, the workmen look as if they are just turning out of Metropolitan Rd (now a trading estate). There were several large factories down there but I wouldn't mind betting they were turning out of the Metropolitan Railway Carriage & Waggon Co Ltd, forerunner of Metropolitan Cammel Works.

Hi Phil. You're 100% right, - this is the entrance to Metropolitan Road.
I think at that time it was completely occupied by Metropolitan Cammell
who left the site in the 1960's, and their business was then concentrated
at the Midland Works at Common Lane Washwood Heath.

The Station entrance was at the crest of the bridge on the same
side, with a long flight of steps down to the platforms

Kind regards,

Dave

Yes, Phil is right, during the early 1960's the Met used to park a small fleet of ex Salford Corporation Daimler and ex Devon General AEC double deck works buses inside the wall to the right there.

Looking at that photo what year would you say it was? i notice there is no sign of the public toilets on the bridge they must have been built later . Dek

Looking at that photo what year would you say it was? i notice there is no sign of the public toilets on the bridge they must have been built later . Dek

Hi Dek,

I noticed that too, and those toilets were right antiquated when I remember them.
Bearing in mind that the Met was started well back into the 1800's by Joseph Wright
and there isn't any sign of motor vehicles in the pic, the toilets could have been
built late 1800's after the pic was taken.

Kind regards

Dave

Old view of the No.8 tram terminus at the Pelham.

Attachments

• Alum Rock Tram Terminus 2.jpg
    Alum Rock Tram Terminus 2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
My mom was bought up by her nan and grand dad who lived on Arley Road,Saltley.They were the Kettridge family and my nan ,maiden name Kesterton,
apparently ruled the roost with a rod of iron!
My great grandma Kettridge had a row her husband and they didn't speak to each other properly for years,only to get his wage packet off him.
My mom and dad were married at st Marks church ,Washwoodheath Rd,which was just a short distance away.
When young,my mom worked at a decorating shop called Darryls(think that is how it is spelt).Any one recognise this name please?

Hi Miss Muffet. I used to live on the opposite corner of Gate Street, above Strutts the Chemist. We knew the people who worked at Darralls (I'm not sure of the spelling either) very well. There was Doreen and Thelma, and the manager was Mr Major. I can still smell the putty now.

Hi Bobbygee,
re Darrells;My mom was born 1926,so taking it that she would have worked there in the 40s?She married my dad in 1949 and they
moved to Bodymoor Heath to live.Too far for her to commute I should think??
As always,its too late to ask now!
miss muffett

A sunny day in Saltley some years ago.
Cracking photo Mike, exactly as I remember "The Gate" area in Saltley in the late 60's and early 70's. Do you remember the newspaper seller who stood near the corner outside the Tilt Hammer pub ?
I grew up in the late 60's in Ludlow Road, Alum Rock....mom and dad had the newsagents shop on the corner of Alderson Road. Went to Shaw Hill School and we used to walk down Alum Rock Road first thing every Monday to George Arthur swimming baths. Happy days !

Saltley Hall later known as Jenkins Farm, it would have been north west of Hall rd. So it would have been quite close to St Saviours Church.

Phil

Saltley Saltley Hall .jpg

Last edited:
Phil as always another amazing picture. The area is unrecognisable now!!

Hi Everyone

Very new to this site and found all the photo's of a Alum Rock and Saltley facinating. I lived at Ward End Close from 1959 and went to Nansen Road Primary and Naseby Secondary. My GG Granfather ran a coffee shop in Saltley High Street and died there in 1897. On the 1881 census it states that he owned 27 High Street as a coffee shop keeper and by 1891 he also had 5 High Street. Any photo's from this era would be great. My dad was born in Cato street and later moved to Maitland Road wher his mom lived until 1993. My mom lived in Ward End Close until 2003. Thanks again to everyone for the photo's.

Ron

Hi Ron

I went to Nansen Road school too but I left in 1959. There are some photos of the coffee shop and other shops nearby, somewhere on this thread. Perhaps if you put in the search "photos of High St. Saltley in 1800's" you will find them. I know they are there somewhere because I took copies of them.
WendyP

Cracking photo Mike, exactly as I remember "The Gate" area in Saltley in the late 60's and early 70's. Do you remember the newspaper seller who stood near the corner outside the Tilt Hammer pub ?
I grew up in the late 60's in Ludlow Road, Alum Rock....mom and dad had the newsagents shop on the corner of Alderson Road. Went to Shaw Hill School and we used to walk down Alum Rock Road first thing every Monday to George Arthur swimming baths. Happy days !

Welcome to the Forum Rob, yes, I do remember seeing the paper seller. When I moved to Brum in 1959 I lived with relatives in Jackson Road and then due to taking on a shiftwork job lodged with an Irish family at the Alum Rock Road end of Ludlow Road for a short while. I've never been up to the other end of Ludlow Road beyond where I lodged. What I remember well is making good use of the chip shop round in Anthony Road at that time!

Hello Ron,

This is a post card of Saltley High Street at roughly the date you require, I'm sorry you can't see your GG Grandfathers's shop, but if you look at the later photo you will see a pub set back a little from the street near the middle right of the photo. The shop would have been the one before that.

Phil

Saltley High St (5).JPGSaltley High St 1961.jpg

Last edited:
Saltley Carlton Theatre built in 1900 at a cost of £14,000 on the corner of Nechells Place & Saltley Rd. It opened as a Variety Theatre by1911 it had changed names to the Coliseum. But like most theatres of it's kind in 1921 it changed to a cinema. By 1940 it closed and was demolished. Perhaps being next to the gas works had something to do with that.

Phil

Saltley Carlton Theatre Saltley Rd .jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum Rob, yes, I do remember seeing the paper seller. When I moved to Brum in 1959 I lived with relatives in Jackson Road and then due to taking on a shiftwork job lodged with an Irish family at the Alum Rock Road end of Ludlow Road for a short while. I've never been up to the other end of Ludlow Road beyond where I lodged. What I remember well is making good use of the chip shop round in Anthony Road at that time!

Hi Mike.....ah yes...the chippy on the corner of Maitland Rd and Anthony Rd I recall, my brother had a part time job 'eyeing' the spuds with it's last owners, Mr and Mrs Collinson I think in the early to mid 1970's. I'm sure you must also remember Ludloes shop on the corner of Ludlow Rd and Alum Rock Rd, started my vinyl record collection from there.
I'm amazed by this site, spending hours just browsing, absolutely fantastic.
Regards......Rob.

Bought many a disc there Rob, and if you told them any title you wanted that they hadn't got they soon made sure they got it in. In fact new releases by some groups I started to collect they got in before I knew there was a new one out and it was there waiting for when I went in. Beat going into town every time.

The first ever recorded photo of Saltley taken in 1860. It doesn't record the location, so your guess is as good as mine. My guess is the junction of Alum Rock Rd and Washwood Heath Rd, but it could well as be Cato St North.

Obviously it is not a very good photo, but very rare.

Phil

Saltley Mystery Location.JPG

Last edited:
Phil what an amazing photo........never in a million years would you guess where it was! I will never see the place in the same light!

Wendy,

If I remember correctly the name Saltley means "clearing in the wood" or something similar.

Phil

I was trying to make out what that is to the left down that dip, is it a Weir?

Phil

I think that the link below may be the place. The roads have changed a bit and a gasometer has appeared but the triangle is still there. The house on the right has gone but on the map you can still see an entrance from the road. The road to the right in the very old photo, leads to a bridge over the Rea...probably not the large viaduct then. The land to the left is not indicated as a pool on the map but there is a building shown on top of the rise and some trees. The road leading off into the distance has changed on the map but there is some indication that it may have bent around to the left before the industrial development which also removed the houses. If I remember the terain correctly the land does rise as it runs away into the distance there. What do you think. Lightened the photo a bit.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10095&ox=1093&oy=1632&zm=1&czm=1&x=285&y=336

Rupert

So what you are saying is that you think it is Nechells Place, well some of the features in the photo fit, although the little triangular island was a little larger. Large enough to hold public toilets and a couple of bus stops and the queues that they generated. But Nechells place did sweep round to the left and was uphill.

The thing is Rupert we could sit here and speculate forever but without any further information I don't think we are ever going to know. The photo is another from Maria Twist and even she didn't know the location.

Phil

phil..what an amazing pic and how the heck a location can be worked out i have no idea...is this the nechells place you mentioned...you posted this one for me the other day....good luck..this one could go on for ever...

lyn....

Attachments

• Nechells Place 1968.jpg
    Nechells Place 1968.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 66
Back