• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Garretts Green College

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bulldozers are in at the College,another few days and it will be a pile of rubble.

A few of our members from this side of the city will have gone there after finishing school.

Yes Alberta, I did. Landmarks of my youth are fast disappearing! I wonder what the land will be used for?

Macca

Spent 5 years there at the college 1963-68 doing day and block release as part of my apprenticeship, took my City & Guilds in Mechanical Pipe Fitting and Gas & Arc Pipe Welding. Just linked up with a couple of guys I was there with 40 years ago through Friends Reunited, had a great time going over old times, we all agreed that the most enjoyable part of the course was lunchtimes in the pub opposite.

Colin

Have to agree, I was there 68-73, almost better than goingto the Chestnuts for lunch ws winding the lecturers up afterwards !

Alberta - I completed my vocational education there during the late 60's & early 70's and started my teaching career there in the mid 80's? Happy memories. Mabz

My husband was an apprentice Electrician in 67/68 and he did day release there.
Now he does the electrical maintainance on the houses in that area.

Hi All. New to the forum so my first post.

Alberta, dropped by that way around lunchtime today and it's just a pile of rubble now.

Macca, it's been sold to developers for a housing project. It would have been to expensive to get the repairs done and the drains were in a pretty bad way let alone other repairs.

Mayfield, I started about the same time, finished 5 years ago this April, 27 years in all.

Regards

Ron

I attended there from 1959 onwards on day release from the Serck, when i got myself a car one or two of us used to go for a ride out somewhere at lunch time and forget to go back, naughty boys ;)

I drove past the chestnuts this morning about 11 o clock, there's been a bad fire there, the fire engines were still putting it out, most of the damage looked like it was on the upper floor, just drove back past there and the fire engines and police are still there.

another pub bites the dust.

It dont seem that long ago when I was at the college, and the gaffer - cant remember his name, big bloke, had a silouette picture of his daughter behind the bar - was refusing to have a jukebox installed.

Good pub then, good cheap food.

Use to work at the Dunlop when I first left school and they sent me to the College on day release to do shorthand and typing, back in the early 60's. Loved it.

any pictures of its former glory? Shame if all we have to remember it by is a pile of rubble!

Back