• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

brearley street newtown.

Lyn,
When dad was cycling down Brearley St.c1929,he ran into a little girl,whereupon the old lady (my gt.nan) jumped up of her chair and chased him,a few years later at the Memorial Hall dance in Whitehouse St.he met the same girl and married her...a very good reason to remember the incident in detail.
I am amazed that the house is still there,wouldn't have noticed without your help.

ray..you would not beleive the joy i get when posting a couple of pics can mean so much to folk....i can only liken it the other week when after a long search i eventually found a pic of the vine inn pub..

always happy to help...

lyn

ray i forgot to say what a lovely story about your dad...nice to have a happy ending...

lyn

View attachment 37643
My Great Gran jane Moran lived in Brearley St. She married Michael Crowe and was a nasty as she looks. Evidently the her family were in the Taxi or transport business and she owned a number of properties,

thanks for you story leonard...i think most nans and gt nans always looked very stern in the photos..you should see the one of my nan...

lyn

Thanks for all the lovely pics of Brearley Street. It is really good to be able to get a feel for how it was when my g grandparents and my grandma would have lived there.
Cheers Trish

hi ray..heres the pics i told you about all together..see what you think...

next to the little window in pic 2 is a door with a big step up.....in pic 4taken yesterday that original step is still there and its at least a foot and half high ...so i cant see this being the entrance to a house...the top half of the buiding has been removed sometime and as you said the bottom half incorporated into the pub...my guess is that your gt nans house was the one next to the darker coloured building in pic 2...

but of course i always stand to be corrected....and i am...very often...lol

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,
It looks to me you are right,the house my gt.gran lived in was the one you said.
The house I first thought would have been the living quarters for the gaffer of the pub,remember it's address was Brearley St.not Summer Lane and the step had two risers in your photo.No.2,but not in todays photo.
Now,as I cannot see the cellar head or a dropping hook,my guess would be, it was a gravity pull,(the beer goes to the top floor).If this is the case the building between the two homes,was where the pulley was,and also for bottle storage.
Perhaps gt.granny did move her chair closer to the pub,then on the other hand,she could have been the bouncer,she only had one complete hand, she had an accident on a power press when she was 13 years old,but my dad reckons even the stump was deadly.
Thanks for all your efforts bab.
ray.

so ray you have a pic of your gt grans house then...wonderful...think i understand what you are saying about pulleys and gravity lol...got a couple more pics to post..

lyn

took this pic yesterday..im pretty sure its where pic 2 was roughly taken from..the buildings on the right are still there except for the old houses right at the bottom..they were replaced by a newer factory...summer lane is running along the bottom of the pic and hospital st is behind where i took the pic from..

lyn..

I'm not sure about that Lyn. Albert Lusty, which is what I read the factory on the left of the picture as, was (according to the 1933 directory) no 85 on the north side, between Newtown Row and Summer Lane. i agrre there are a lot of similarties though.
mike

mike if you look at the building towards end of my pic taken yesterday you can just see a white thing on the top..well that was jc neweys...here is a better pic of it..cant remember the exact num but i think it was around number 107 ..anyhow the story goes that it is this firm that made the buttons for a coronation gown..of which queen i am uncertain...

looks like you are right about my orignal pic...i was in the wrong section of brearly st..crikey not only did all the houses and shops look the same but so did the factories..lol

Lyn
I assume Newey Bros is the same as J C Newey. In 1933 they were at 105-127 , again on the north side but between Summer Lane & Hospital St, so not too far away , on the same side of the street as Lustys
mike

morning mike..thanks for that..my first pic on post 100 show 105 to 127 brearley st.... so my original pic waiting for the royal visit would have been taken on the opposite side of the stag pub..roughly opposite st chads school i would imagine...think ive more or less got me bearings now...

lyn

DARTH DC ....I notice you are researching the FIELD family amongst others, can you tell me exactly who as I descend from inner city Brum I am a Field. Mail me back...Karl

Eileen,
When did your grandad live in Brearley St.and what was his name?.
I know a few names from around No.22 the Newtown Row end.

Another lad from Brearley St.Humble beginings indeed,but he went on to be a child migrant to Australia,and finished up the headmaster of a school in Melbourne,and now lives in retirement in Victoria.These are extacts from his book,he calls himself Don Slattery.

just goes to show dont it ray....its not always where you come from...its very often what you make of life....is this book on sale do you know...i would love to read it...

thanks for posting...

lyn

Lyn,My copy was published in Australia,I don't think it was published here.
It's like another book I bought in Australia called Children of the Empire,that also was only published in Australia,it's a horror story of child migration from Britain.At least the Australian government had the decency to apologise for their part in this evil,unlike our lot.

Lyn
Abebooks have one copy for sale in their site( they often have a hundred of some books), and its in Australia. the postage given to the US is almost as much as the book ($18 against $23) so I reckon it would be difficult to find over here
Mike

Have just joined the site and was thrilled to find photos of Brealey Street my Nan and Grandad lived there in the 1920,s next door to each other before marrying in 1928. Thanks for posting them, it has made my day as I have been tracing my family tree for the last year and it is nice to see old photos of these places.

Lynne

• Appreciate
Reactions: cjk
I have ancestors who according to the 1841 census lived at No 4 and No 5 Brearley Court House, St Georges,Aston. Does anyone know whether this address is located in Brearley Street?

Nick,
Kevin Rudd did give a personel apology,to these abused children,the compensation aspect is probably another matter...we'll see.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cjk
Back