• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

brearley street newtown.

I'm not sure about that Lyn. Albert Lusty, which is what I read the factory on the left of the picture as, was (according to the 1933 directory) no 85 on the north side, between Newtown Row and Summer Lane. i agrre there are a lot of similarties though.
mike

mike if you look at the building towards end of my pic taken yesterday you can just see a white thing on the top..well that was jc neweys...here is a better pic of it..cant remember the exact num but i think it was around number 107 ..anyhow the story goes that it is this firm that made the buttons for a coronation gown..of which queen i am uncertain...

looks like you are right about my orignal pic...i was in the wrong section of brearly st..crikey not only did all the houses and shops look the same but so did the factories..lol

Lyn
I assume Newey Bros is the same as J C Newey. In 1933 they were at 105-127 , again on the north side but between Summer Lane & Hospital St, so not too far away , on the same side of the street as Lustys
mike

morning mike..thanks for that..my first pic on post 100 show 105 to 127 brearley st.... so my original pic waiting for the royal visit would have been taken on the opposite side of the stag pub..roughly opposite st chads school i would imagine...think ive more or less got me bearings now...

lyn

DARTH DC ....I notice you are researching the FIELD family amongst others, can you tell me exactly who as I descend from inner city Brum I am a Field. Mail me back...Karl

Eileen,
When did your grandad live in Brearley St.and what was his name?.
I know a few names from around No.22 the Newtown Row end.

Another lad from Brearley St.Humble beginings indeed,but he went on to be a child migrant to Australia,and finished up the headmaster of a school in Melbourne,and now lives in retirement in Victoria.These are extacts from his book,he calls himself Don Slattery.

just goes to show dont it ray....its not always where you come from...its very often what you make of life....is this book on sale do you know...i would love to read it...

thanks for posting...

lyn

Lyn,My copy was published in Australia,I don't think it was published here.
It's like another book I bought in Australia called Children of the Empire,that also was only published in Australia,it's a horror story of child migration from Britain.At least the Australian government had the decency to apologise for their part in this evil,unlike our lot.

Lyn
Abebooks have one copy for sale in their site( they often have a hundred of some books), and its in Australia. the postage given to the US is almost as much as the book ($18 against $23) so I reckon it would be difficult to find over here
Mike

Have just joined the site and was thrilled to find photos of Brealey Street my Nan and Grandad lived there in the 1920,s next door to each other before marrying in 1928. Thanks for posting them, it has made my day as I have been tracing my family tree for the last year and it is nice to see old photos of these places.

Lynne

• Appreciate
Reactions: cjk
I have ancestors who according to the 1841 census lived at No 4 and No 5 Brearley Court House, St Georges,Aston. Does anyone know whether this address is located in Brearley Street?

Nick,
Kevin Rudd did give a personel apology,to these abused children,the compensation aspect is probably another matter...we'll see.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cjk
Back