• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Yes, Hawkins was the name of the venue. It was a glass-surrounded end of property wine bar at the end of Corporation Street, but only open normal liscencing hours-not a club as such.

If I'm correct, it was the first such bar in the late 1970's to offer an overhead light-laser show?

The household name Hawkins was fully-titled 'Hawkins of Preston' and was a very well-respected linen retailers. We had one here in Wolverhampton until 1969(?) when property developers wanted to make a shopping mall of the area.

I am new to this forum, but in reviewing the last few weeks of messages I thought I could enlighten the readers on the formation of Hawkins Wine Bar.
Hawkins was an idea formed by a guy called John Henry, who was the other half of the duo Ross 'n Henry from BBC Radio Birmingham, (Ross being Les Ross). He developed the idea of a daytime coffee shop with a night time wine bar. The name "Hawkins" was taken in respect to the old Hawkins linen shop which preceded it. John used modern technology of Digital Amplification, Bose High quality loudspeakers and Laser lighting and smoke machines to create a superb atmospere which was worth experiencing, even at the high cost of the in house wines.
This was coupled with a old church facade behind the main bar and an immaculately dressed doorman to boot. The concept was years ahead of similar establishments yet it was costs which drove it to closure some years later.
I used to know John reasonably well and even made tapes in his downstairs studio for use in the bar once the lights went down. Hope this fills a few gaps in the bar at the end of Corporation Street surrounded by the Law Courts and Police Station. Made it a safe place on a Saturday to be.....

ALSO DOES ANYONE REMEMBER PJs IN BRANSTONE ST HOCKLEY.[/QUOTE]

Yes, knew it well, do you have any idea what happened to Peter who owned it.

Darby, last time I saw P.J. was when he and I had lunch with The Lord Mayor of Birmingham. It was because of something to do with his gym and the people who could use it. He helped the handicapped or people with health problems or something along those lines.

I used to go to Top Cats and the PowerHouse, I remember the names like Trocadero, Buttery Bar? and Costermongers

The Rum Runner was the one in Broad Street just up the road, oppositte Bingley hall People used to come out of there into the tow rope cafe which was open all night.

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

This is my 1981 to 1986 list (some wine bars in there too):

Powerhouse, Faces, Steptoes, Pagoda Park, Millionaires, The Dome, Belair at the Belfry, Liberty's, Edwards No 7, Edwards No 8, Peppermint Place, Some Place Else, Mr Bill's Bier Keller, Tressines, Hummingbird, Henry's, Cadbury's Club, Planter's (later Sputniks), Hawkins Wine Bar, Snobs, Opposite Lock, Bobby Brown's (there was another just up from there but I can't remember the name...), Boogies (John Bright St?), Bonkers (under the Hilton), and there was a club half way up Cannon St but the name's gone...

Powerhouse was number one. Saw the Rock Steady Crew, Phil Fearon and Divine there. Used to do a lot of the formation dancing in front of the DJ booth. But my funniest time there was when there was some fraying carpet outside the men's loos and one after the other came out and, to a man, they tripped over it as they were checking their flies. Hours of laughs.

Hello,
Can anyone remember a club ? venue ? or somesuch somewhere around Constitution Hill , Summer Lane ? ? ? I think it was called the Brum Cavern or similar. It was in a cellar which was very dark and quite creepy { for a female, }

It has been driving me potty since I read this thread.

Oh yes! and the music was good.

Betty.

Dunno about that one, but there was a Brum Cavern in Wordsorth Rd which later became the garryowen.

Watchin bands go in and out, talking to em, and listeneing round by the side doors ( I was way too young to get in ) is what started me wanting to play myself.

Seemed like they used to have 5 or 6 bands ( groups in them days ) a night, as one went in, another would be leaving to get to the next gig.

The undertakers abd the Redcaps are the only names that ring a bell now though.

hi Betty
The only club I recall on Constitution Hill near summer Lane was the Cedar Club

In the late 70s there was a club on the right, in one of the roads opposite the Cedars. Had a big cage with a girl dancing in it I think. Pretty sure it was in a railway arch though, not a cellar.

That was the La Metro underneath the Snow hill railway arches, great little club very popular on Wednesdays in the 60's. Where you the dancer in the cage fatfingers? Whom ever it was she was a little cracker I recall. This later became the "Holy City Zoo" owned by my two mates Peter Warren, Jonnie Rawlson and a geezer named Andy Gray. I wrote a post about them a year or so ago I think on this post.

Hi Betty. You're right. There was a club called the Brum Cavern on Summer Lane. I never went in, but passed it on the way into town from the Ice Rink.

Hi .betty.i used to go to the brum beat cavern on summerlane in early sixties,...walls dripping wet....fantastic atmosphere...does anyone remember a girl called "tex"..she used to do a sort of war dance .....???

Dunno about that one, but there was a Brum Cavern in Wordsorth Rd which later became the garryowen.

Watchin bands go in and out, talking to em, and listeneing round by the side doors ( I was way too young to get in ) is what started me wanting to play myself.

Seemed like they used to have 5 or 6 bands ( groups in them days ) a night, as one went in, another would be leaving to get to the next gig.

The undertakers abd the Redcaps are the only names that ring a bell now though.

Just found this... Here; https://www.brumbeat.net/redcaps.htm

"The Plaza Ballroom in Handsworth was owned by Redcaps' manager Mary Regan (or "Ma Regan" as she was affectionately known). She also owned The Old Hill Plaza, The Ritz in Kings Heath, and The Brum Cavern Club in Small Heath. She was ably assisted by her husband Joe Regan who always acted as MC when international groups appeared at one of the ballrooms"

Does anyone recall a club called The Midnight City" during the 1960's? I happened on what I think is a front-door shot of this place whilst on my research around libraries in Wolverhampton, and if so thought it might be of interest on here. I can keep a look-out for the photo next time round if it rings a bell.

Richie

Hello,
Glad someone remembers the Brum Cavern in Summer Lane. Sorry I cannot remember " Tex " your wild dancer. I do remember the Bruisers played there though.
These memories are so frustrating aren't they ? ? You suddenly think you can remember a bit more and then it escapes your thoughts. A bit like a jig-saw puzzle really.
Hopefully with other peoples memories you can put it all together and complete the pictures and really wallow in the past.
So glad I was around in the 60s. it was such a happy. wonderful time.
There is another bit of a memory that keeps coming and going and that is the name of John Smith ? ? ? was he the promoter ? ?
Probably got it completely wrong but who knows it may ring a bell with someone ??

Betty.

I definately remember a Midnight City when I was a mini cab driver in the very early sixties but I have done many miles since then and I can not remember the location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone recall a club called The Midnight City" during the 1960's? I happened on what I think is a front-door shot of this place whilst on my research around libraries in Wolverhampton, and if so thought it might be of interest on here. I can keep a look-out for the photo next time round if it rings a bell.

Richie

Yes, I remember the name of that club from the mid 60's but I'm not sure where it was - fairly central somewhere though - maybe Digbeth area?

Hello Mossg.

Sorry I can't remember where the Brum Cavern was actually situated other than it was nearer town than tother way.

Perhaps the young lady who wrote in will tell us

Betty.

Dont know if this one has been mentioned ''ICOGNITO''it was underneath the Hippodrome Steve Gibbons was the resident band in the 70s

Mossy

The only Brum Cavern I can recall was in Small Heath, Wordsworth rd, I am sure we got the no 11 to it. great groups on and the place to go if you were a mod

Dont know if this one has been mentioned ''ICOGNITO''it was underneath the Hippodrome Steve Gibbons was the resident band in the 70s

Mossy

Yeah, I remember the Incog, Steve Gibbons saturday lunchtimes. 1974 ish, saturday nights he used to do the Barrell Organ in digbeth, then somewhere else after that. Hard working band or what ?

I reckon Midnight City was in digbeth, somewhere behind the civic hall, but thats a bit before my time tbh.

I was a regular at the Midnight City . It was situated opposite the Police station on Digbeth ( its a Chinese place now ) .It was an allnighter and was competing with the Marquee ( over Chetwyns Mens wear shop ) . It had two shops in the club selling clothes , which helped cause its closure , along with other drug related problems .
The building was originally a Banana warehouse , converted by the owner Prykes .
One of the regulars was Kevin Rolands brother ( according to legend ) who recounted to the younger Kevin stories of " the Midnight" and one of the drugs of choice then , DEXYS , (Dexadrin ) hence the name of the group "Dexys Midnight Runners "
I saw some brilliant performances at the club including The Who , and the unforgettable Cream .Max

Max your bang on, it was an all nighterin 1966/67, but did not last long, if I remember it was in the cellers under the Bannana Buildings now gone just up from the Digbeth Bus Station. I think its where a pub is now. It was in competition with the Whiskey a go go, the Marquee came later I think around 68.

Yeah Bob ,i used to got to All 3 at various times ,the DJ at the Midnight was Erskine T ( who has passed on i was informed on the forum ) . We used to get a pass out from the Midnight ,they stamped your hand with an ink stamp , we would go up to the "Tow Rope " on Broad St and 1 guy would make copies on peoples hands ,very dodgy exercise as the Bouncers at the Midnight were the most vicious you could come across .The admission cost was 10 bob , a lot of money in that time ,( i was earning £4 a week before deductions LOL ) We used to go to the Surfside Stop as well which was also an allnighter cafe like the Towrope . Max

hi maxi
was,nt that the pub down under the sub way down next to Lewisis
you had two exits in order to get to it
or should i say three now i can cometo think of it
come down from steele house lane side , or snow hill exit. or from the kardoma and lewisis
and down those three exits down into the sub way it was abit iffy ; if you don,t mind me saying so
but saying that it was a shoppers day time pub mainly evening it was dire straights [ Dead ]
we use to go to the cosmonga or the cabin before going to the up market pubs and clubs for
picking up talent
have a nice day best wishes Astonian ;;;

Back