• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cockshut Hill School

You were 11 years before me & Marjorie Smith, Miss Allen & I remember Mrs Davies they were there then and Marjorie Smith looked 200 when I went there!!! or wa sit we were younger & everyone over 20 looked ancient!!.. Gosh how time flies scarey..
Are U still in Birmingham?

Hi Roy, I didn't start until 1976 but most of the teachers you listed were still there!!! Mr bashford was the head and probably changed the course of my life when he let me back into the sixth form. (prior to that i was hardly a model student) Mr Jones (biology) was head of sixth form - an amazing teacher. Looking back it now seems like hsistory from some 70's based series. Schools are not what they used to be!! K

hi Shirls, made a mistake mentioning miss gough as a teacher.the person l was thinking of was (l think) Miss forsyth.l remember her telling me that a relative of hers discovered Goughs cave Cheddar gorge.got the two muddled up ! Yes l still live in birmingham.

Hi Roy,
Just seen your posting of Cockshut Hill, I can't believe that you have the same memories as me. I attended between 1962-1966 also and remember all the teachers too, can't help you out with Mr Gibbs though. I remember the first woodworking lesson I had with Mr Mayhew, he sent one of the class to the other workshop of Mr Danvers (who I think was also taking woodwork classes) to ask for some 'elbow grease'!! On a another occasion Mr Mayhew sent another lad to Mr Barnard to ask for 'a long weight, don't know how long he waited though (wait,get it?.) Quite a character. Who can forget Mr Williams (wilf) who loved to hold your sideburns and lift you up on to your tip toes if you were not paying attention, ouch!
Mr Welford used to throw chalk at you if your attention wandered and on a few occasions even a blackboard rubber! they were wooden backed as well, could have maimed someone. He was living around the corner from where I live in Solihull up to about 5 years ago but I have'nt seen him since. On another occasion a few lads were on the trampoline in the gym with their plimsolls on! Mr Mason came in and was furious, so much so he 'slippered' everyone in the class to teach us a lesson we NEVER forgot, and we only had our shorts on, ow! did it hurt.
I had great respect for Mr Jolley he was a very approachable, friendly man, Wickstead was a giant of a man eh? I agree with you on Morgan, what an arrogant selfish man he was. Mr Bashford was my final year teacher and he was great to get on with, we had an end of school trip to Italy in 1966 and he came to, what an ammenable guy. Mr Chilton was another favourite of mine, his teaching was so patient, I came 1st in french due to his methods and I loved the subject.
All in all I think my years at that school were very good and gave me a good grounding in life.
Good to reminisce to someone of the same school and time, happy memories eh? Some of my classmates were Paul Burley, Terry Deffley, Terry Hunt, Kenny Cox, Roger Stansbie, Graham Townsend and Cary Curtis, do you remember any of them? Where are you living at the moment?

Best regards,
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember Judith Porter or Jean Butcher? I think they went to Cockshut Hill in 40's or early 50's ?

l wonder where a few of my classmates,1948-1952 are now? Their names were Hazel Grice,Joan Ashford and Betty Hearne.

I had no connection with Cockshutt Hill but I went to the 'Comp'. What does jump out at me is that so many of the teachers moved between the schools at various times in their careers.
Ted

Hi Shirls, I too went to Cockshut Hill School (for Girls)! from 1958 - 1962. I loved it and cried when I had to leave in '62 as I wanted to stay on. I remember Marjorie Smith, Miss Allen - deputy head, Mrs Hague was the English Language teacher and detested us using the word "nice", but boy was she good. She was S.African so had a bit of a "different" accent to us Brummies. Mrs Davies was my form teacher, also Mrs Pegley, & Mrs Davenport who was so elegant with her blond hair done in a french plait - I wanted to be just like her. I loved Art and joined Miss Jackson's Monday after-school "club" and was so pleased that one of my pictures was displayed on the board outside the hall.
They were good days - ones I remember with much affection. Remember having to wear navy blue knickers for PE or Games, ugh!!

Hi Chrissie
Wow all them names bought back memories, I left in 63 so we must have been there at the same time. I did a lot of art work and was in Miss Jacksons art class then went into Mrs Barret's as she was or form teacher. They both wanted me to stay on & go to Art College but it was the days when ur parents made u leave at 15 & "go get a proper job!" I now, after all those years, paint & sell them here in Cyprus, funny how things turn full circle. I still have my "Project Folder" (remember them!!) and loved how it was different from history & geography to have a school yearly topic which included everything. I hated maths, we had Mr Allen but ended working in the UK (left in 06) as a Management Accountant I learnt to love figures over the years. Please aghhhhh navy gym nickers how awful with the utility or cherub make on the label dont!!!!!!!!
Good times I remember with much affection I was by no means a "swot" but I did like school
Good to hear from you

Hi Shirls, yes good memories eh? My sister lives very near to the school so I pass it and look up to what was the library when it was our classroom. I too have moved away - but not as far as you - but I guess we never forget our roots. Good on yer that you have turned your art into good. I have all the equipment ready to have a dabble - but something else always seems to take priority. Ah well.....take care, nice to hear from you.

Hi Chrissie
I bought a house in 85, that backed on to the "Yellow Block" the house was next door to the back entracne to the school in Billengsley road. Only had it for just over 2 years but was strange seeing my old classroom every day.
Just get going with the art stuff yor never too mold to have a go

Hi,

I was at Cockshut Hill from about '57 to '63.
My teachers were: 1st Year, Miss Pratt, 2nd Year, Mrs Goodall, 3rd Year, Miss Beryl Davies, 4th Year, Mrs Davies, 5th Year, Mrs Witkowska, 6th Year, Mr Evans. I also remember: Miss Orme, (who I think became Mrs Davenport) Literature, Miss Jackson (Art) Miss Poyster (Shorthand) Mrs Rollason (Typing), Mr Bartlett (Science) Miss Richards (Dep. Head and Needlework), Mrs Bradley (Cookery), Mrs Lawley (Cookery) Miss Halls (RE). Miss C Marjorie Smith was the Headmistress. She wouldn't allow anyone to cough in assembly. I can still remember the smell of the varnished wooden floor in assembly and Canon Crowson, the Vicar of Yardley, occasionally visiting the school.

Hi,

I was at Cockshut Hill from about '57 to '63.
My teachers were: 1st Year, Miss Pratt, 2nd Year, Mrs Goodall, 3rd Year, Miss Beryl Davies, 4th Year, Mrs Davies, 5th Year, Mrs Witkowska, 6th Year, Mr Evans. I also remember: Miss Orme, (who I think became Mrs Davenport) Literature, Miss Jackson (Art) Miss Poyster (Shorthand) Mrs Rollason (Typing), Mr Bartlett (Science) Miss Richards (Dep. Head and Needlework), Mrs Bradley (Cookery), Mrs Lawley (Cookery) Miss Halls (RE). Miss C Marjorie Smith was the Headmistress. She wouldn't allow anyone to cough in assembly. I can still remember the smell of the varnished wooden floor in assembly and Canon Crowson, the Vicar of Yardley, occasionally visiting the school.

Hi Sarah

I was there the same time as you and have a feeling we may have even been in the same class in the 1st year as Miss Pratt was my teacher then. In the 3rd year I had Miss Richards & 4th year part Mrs Davies (liked her). Not sure about the other years but I have still got my school reports so will dig them out & check. I remember all the other teachers so well. I did get a prize at speeches 2 years running for my Project Folders, remember that School Project much better than seperate history & Geography. I left school in June 63 so didnt do any of the shorthand / typing classes & spent most of my last year with Mrs Davies in the Art classes. Also in my class in the 4th year was Jennifer Everall, & we spent most of the time together painting. Oh Miss Jackson in the yellow block doing weaving....... I did make a nice school scarf tho!!! Mr Bartlett science, funny you knew how far you could play him up before he threw the blackboard rubber down the class.
I did enjoy my school days and I still think Cockshut Hill was a good school.
My full name is Shirley Freeman and I now live in Cyprus having moved here just over 3 years ago
Any more memories??????????

Shirls

Hi Shirls,

Sounds like we could have been in the same class, at least in our first year. Do you remember the Pageant to celebrate the millennium? of Yardley Church. I still have the programme. I also have all my Speech Day programmes, so will dig them out to see if I can find you. Was Freeman your surname at school?

Yes, I agree. It was a great school and considering it was a "secondary", I have never felt my education lacked much, except languages, which would have been nice. Do I have any more memories? Yes, lots. I could write for ever. My best friends, for most of the time, were Lynne Moffat (who shocked the whole school by turning up at a Speech Day, after she had left, wearing a black leather mini-skirt!), Susan Monk, Judith Brown, Christine Powell, Diane Thomas. I was born in November '46.

Let me have some of your memories. I think the only Shirley I remember was a Shirley Balmer. I now live in Warwick so I guess I am feeling a little bit colder than you at the moment!

Sarah

hi everyone
i went to cockshut hill school form 1969 to 1974. i clearly remember it all. the long long road ( well seemed it) to walk up to and so much green grass. i dare say it would look so much smaller now i havent been back since i left. i remember the " yellow" block we were in i was in one alpha 2 alpha and so on, mrs pargeter was my first teacher , i remember " greswold" block and a cookery teacher called miss churchill. a very strict science teacher called mrs roxborough who would constantley send everyone out of the classroom if they spoke , and im sure more were out in the corridor than in the classroom. miss Richards was the head mistress and mrs davis deputy, miss allen for PE and miss jackson for art. mrs white for sewing and one teacher i cannot recall her name but she used to fall asleep in assemblys!much to the amusement of us all. miss cage was our accounts teacher and mrs clarke whom everyone feared tought maths. anyone else around in the year i was there? or perhaps even same class? all the alphas til 4c and 5 c that was c for cage.
name i am trying to research is all ADAMS in birmingham area or lived there.

Hi Everyone

I went to Cockshut Hill School 1975-1980
Mr Jolly was the headmaster at the time

Mr leeson i think was head of the lower School?

Teachers i remember were

Mrs Coghlan English
Mr Price History
Mrs Bell History
Mrs Hartfield Games,sport
Mr Enderby Geography
Mr Leeson Maths There were two mr leesons and no relation as far as i know

my brains getting rusty now must go and oil it!! LOL

re cockshut hill school
i remember mrs pargeter from the alpha forms remember the teeth,but she was a nice teacher. remember the project folders, the passion play,tutenkarmun, bad english i know,mrs davies what did she do.

I was there from 1976 to 1983 and remeber Mrs Clarke. She used to play opera in lessons and lock the door so you couldn't get in if you were late. I was useless at maths so was 'deliberately late' a lot but I do now love opera!

Hi Bouncytigger, you must have been in the year above me as I started in 76. The other Mr Leeson was deputy head of lower school or something. I actually met up with a lot of them a few years back when Mr Price (Biology) retired. They were all great teachers - especially Mrs Coghlan (who actually drove me up to Lancaster Uni so I could have a look at it) and Derek Price - who was probably responsible for turning me from a horrible little kid into an A level student! What house were you in?? I was in Kenilworth. (Didn't we have merit cards or something?) I also remember the dance club and the shows we used to put on. Oh, and for some reason, you couldn't wear black tights - only ecru ones! Would love to hear any more of your memories! Karenanne

Hi Bouncytigger, you must have been in the year above me as I started in 76. The other Mr Leeson was deputy head of lower school or something. I actually met up with a lot of them a few years back when Mr Price (Biology) retired. They were all great teachers - especially Mrs Coghlan (who actually drove me up to Lancaster Uni so I could have a look at it) and Derek Price - who was probably responsible for turning me from a horrible little kid into an A level student! What house were you in?? I was in Kenilworth. (Didn't we have merit cards or something?) I also remember the dance club and the shows we used to put on. Oh, and for some reason, you couldn't wear black tights - only ecru ones! Would love to hear any more of your memories! Karenanne

Hi Karenanne

Yes i remember the House system well and lI was i Dudley the green badge , The Red was Maxstoke and Yellow was Kenilworth i think and maybe Blue was Warwick? LOL
Not likely to forget those damn castles are we?

The dance club and all the concerts,choir and band etc i remember well
Miss Parkes played the french horn at one of the concerts if i remember right

Miss Derby was my Hockey teacher do you remember her?
I was only ever good at anything arty or sporty! LOL My brain always switched of for anything remotely science orientated!

Miss Parkes for music , Miss Cook for RE Mr Croucher i think for biology
I remember us having a lecture one assembly about the length of our skirts!!!! which seems ridicuolus these days when you look around at the skirts are wearing!!!

just off to have another think now

Back