• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Morris Commercial Vehicles

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys
does any body have memorys of the old morris commercial or worked there on the adderly rd bordesly
during the fifties era ,when they was producing
a couple of old friends of mine worked there
for donkeys years .
best wishes astonian ;;

My Grandfather was forman wood machinist there. He died on the premises, after completing his shift he evidently sat down to change his shoes and was found dead by friends. That was in 1952.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mike
sorry to have reminded you of that heart break of your loss
and i sincerley hope it has not brought back any memorys
to upsettings you
i heard about the story of your father from an old friend
of mine many years ago whom worked there at the
time and i beleive he was a shop steward by the name sqizzer whom later became a club steward many years ago at the hay mills social club on coventry rd hay mills
he lost his wife mavis about thee years ago to breast cancer , but i remember him telling me me things that went on at the commercial
once again mike sorry if i have disturbed bad memorys
for you . and many thanks for replying to my quest
best wishes astonian ;;;

Hi Astonian, I was a Nuffield Apprentice 1955 to 1960. I was there when the bank of the local railway station collapsed blocking the line and exposing incendiary bombs that had missed the factories during the war. The clean up gang did not know what they were, so tried to smash them with sledge hammers until their boss stopped them. Bomb disposal had to be sent for! I was also in a publicity film called "All in a day's work," about MCC trucks. An assembly line foreman played my father and a driver from British Road Services was also involved. I don't know who played my mother but my sister was played by a beautiful girl from Five Ways. Talk about film star wages, I got paid one shilling an hour (two shillings an hour for a ten hour day on Sunday). I did get a meal at the Midland Hotel with the film crew. We were going to see the film in Bristol, but the trip was cancelled, so I never got to see film. I have tried to find the film through the British Auto Museum and a linked video store but without success.

hi expartriate
just read your thread with great intrestand i thought it was a great story line can you remember whom done the filming ?.
was it a company or was it the good old BB
If it was the BBC i may be able to help you track it down and get a copy for you
i have a friend whom is a manager and a producer for a certain
well known person and he runs most things at the beeb
every one whom knows him call him mr bbc
and if you know whom did the filming even if it was not the beeb ,
he could put you on the trail as to where to get a copy of the pilot
of the making i meet with him every two weeks and i keep in touch with him by email as well
so you never know he may just know where to find it or know where it would be
have a nice day best wishes astonian;;;

Astonian, It was Pathe. but they amalgamated with other companies like Gaumont. I think the bloke in charge was Mr Fullilove or Mr Fulliforce.
Mr Bibb was apprentice supervisor, Alf was foreman Neville Kershaw was leading hand but he went on to be apprentice superviser. I am a life member of the Apprentices Association.
I was working at SU Carbs when there was a fire in East Works, the local people entered MCC and wheeled vehicles out to save them from the fire. A lot of locals worked at MCC of course.
They had a fantastic club for employees in Ward End I think. One night at an apprentices annual dinner, some older apprentices jacked up Mr Bibbs car and took the wheels off. He had an MG sedan. This Forum site is bringing back many memories of things I had forgotton, it is nearly 50 years since I left.

Thanks, Astonian. Just the result of days wasted, er, spent at my computer learning my way round the internet and then searching for what I think might be there. (It isn't always!).
I have an interest in Morris Commercial as I have played a part in rescuing two of their rarest models - former Birmingham Corporation "Dictator" single-deck and "Imperial" double deck buses, both now awaiting eventual restoration at Wythall museum.
Here's me (many decades ago - thin, and with hair!) and one of them.

I didn,t work there but i do remember going there to do emergency electrical work in the early 60s there was a fire on the station side site does any one recall that. Dek

I worked at Morris Comicals from 1967 to 1971 in the Jig & Tool Design Office as a draughtsman. This was at a time when BMC (later BL) had plans to close it when the last Morris Minor van was produced. In fact production of the last Morris Minor Travellers were built there before it closed. In 1971 I moved to Longbridge. I think I posted pictures of some of the Morris Commercial Tenpin Bowling League some time ago? I do have some photos of that time. In 1971 I also met the lady who became my wife. She bowled in that league.

hi my dad might have worked with you he was a drafts man there he had one arm his name was mason william do you renember him x

Hi miggy3, I worked for a while in the Jig and Tool drawing office but did not know a draughtsman with one arm. I left MCC in 1959 (approx) to work at SU Carbs. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sorry Miggy3, I did not know you dad. When did he work there?
Names I recall are Ken Rainey, Milford Blakelock, Tommy and Sandra Jennings, Johnny Bell, Brian and Lynette Butler, Tommy Gilkes, Terry Flower, "Pony" Pritchard.

Last edited:
I have been out of Birmingham for about 46 years, so have been out of touch with most things, but it was with great sadness that I read of the closing of Morris Commercial Cars in 1972. MCC was more than a factory, it was a community. Many generations of families worked there and had strong links with the firm. It had a proud and heroic history.
MCC had photos of the assembly lines after the nightly air raids, with the workers first job in the mornings was to clear away the debris so the war production could commence. I was too young to have personal experience of the war time conditions, but when I started I worked with seniors who had worked there and they told me how things were.
They said that they had a captured German engine which they tested and that it ran on full load for weeks with no problems, something they said they had nothing comparable. They also said that some of the night shift women would not work until they had been "attended" to, their men were in the armed forces. There were a lot of women and few men!
I think the first nail was hammered into the coffin of the British Motor Industry durring my apprenticeship when they gave control to the economists. They then started to produce the car they wanted to sell rather than the car people wanted to buy! I think that the British cars were the best in the world before then. Cars like the Riley, a small limosine, the Wolseley, favourite as a police car. Morris, Austin, Rover, Humber or Hillman. Where are they now.
They started with the 1100 and 1300, then the Mini. The only contribution from the economists was badge engineering. When the Mini first came out, they had one for us to see durring our lunch break over in East Works. I took one look at it and thought it would never sell. I was so wrong. It sold as a Morris, an Austin, a Riley, a Wolseley, a MG and even a Rolls!
A bad photo I remember was a Scottish field, in winter, full of MCC trucks that were waiting to be sold.
I still remember happy hours spent at the MCC club in Ward End, playing tennis, dancing and just socializing. I am a life member of the Morris Commercial Cars Apprentices Association, but it no longer exists. Such is life!!

My dad worked for the Morris Commercial in Adderley Park as a Sheet Metal Worker. He was still working for them when he died in 1963. My brother and myself used to go to all the Xmas parties at their social club in Alum Rock/Washwood Heath and they were brilliant for us kids, we watched a show, plenty of food and then a present from father xmas. I remember the sports days they held, I came first once in the slow bicycle race. My dad's name was Jack Turner and we lived in Bordesley Green. We also had a new morris minor which my dad collected from the Cowley plant. Plenty of happy memories.

Hi guys
My dad Harry Payton worked at the Morris Commercial but was made redundant and ended up working at Longbridge . I remember so clearly being taking to the Morriss Comercial social club and also singing on the stage their at the age of 3 years old . I was given a thruppenny bit . Do you remember the pantomimes that they used to have too . Argh memories :)
Jean

I have been out of Birmingham for about 46 years, so have been out of touch with most things, but it was with great sadness that I read of the closing of Morris Commercial Cars in 1972. MCC was more than a factory, it was a community. Many generations of families worked there and had strong links with the firm. It had a proud and heroic history.
MCC had photos of the assembly lines after the nightly air raids, with the workers first job in the mornings was to clear away the debris so the war production could commence. I was too young to have personal experience of the war time conditions, but when I started I worked with seniors who had worked there and they told me how things were.
They said that they had a captured German engine which they tested and that it ran on full load for weeks with no problems, something they said they had nothing comparable. They also said that some of the night shift women would not work until they had been "attended" to, their men were in the armed forces. There were a lot of women and few men!
I think the first nail was hammered into the coffin of the British Motor Industry durring my apprenticeship when they gave control to the economists. They then started to produce the car they wanted to sell rather than the car people wanted to buy! I think that the British cars were the best in the world before then. Cars like the Riley, a small limosine, the Wolseley, favourite as a police car. Morris, Austin, Rover, Humber or Hillman. Where are they now.
They started with the 1100 and 1300, then the Mini. The only contribution from the economists was badge engineering. When the Mini first came out, they had one for us to see durring our lunch break over in East Works. I took one look at it and thought it would never sell. I was so wrong. It sold as a Morris, an Austin, a Riley, a Wolseley, a MG and even a Rolls!
A bad photo I remember was a Scottish field, in winter, full of MCC trucks that were waiting to be sold.
I still remember happy hours spent at the MCC club in Ward End, playing tennis, dancing and just socializing. I am a life member of the Morris Commercial Cars Apprentices Association, but it no longer exists. Such is life!!

Hello,
Expatriate, Newbie Brummie, indicates that he is a life member of the Morris Commercial Cars Apprentices Association, but it no longer exists.

I have good new for you. The Morris-Commercial Ex-Apprentices Association is run by Gordon Payley, an ex-apprentice, and is now part of the Morris Commercial Club. There are around 45 ex-apprentices who are in the Morris Commercial Club. Have a look at the Morris Commercial Club web site which is www.morriscommercialclub.co.uk . Unfortunately the web site forum is not particularly active. If you join the club, you will get a copy of the members handbook which lists all the ex-apprentices who are members, together with their phone numbers. Membership is £15 per year (UK) and £22 per year for overseas addresses. The club email address is [email protected] .
Hopefully this is of interest to you, and that you will be able to join us.
Regards
Nigel

i lost the end of one my fingers at the morris in 1941, my 2ed day at work, three days after leaving school at fourteen.if anyone finds it let me know

Yesterday my daughter telephoned me on the evenin from birmingham to tell me that an old friend of mine
for many a years whom ran the hay mills social club in hay mills coventry rd for many years
right from the end of the commercial closed down and he stepped into the hay mills social club
as the steward of the club ;whom was also the shop steward at the commercial for many years
named sqizzer squires as died on sunday just gone ,he lost his wife afew years ago .her name was mavis
he as only one child whom is now married [ christian name samantha ]
after the loss of mavis it made him ill and now he as finaly died .he was a very popular man at the commercial also in and out through hay mills commutity
i thought it might be worth mentioning this to any fellow commercial employees whom might have known him ;
many thanks to all astonion ;;

My father worked at the Morris Commercial factory in the 50's his name was Harold Brittain. My mom and auntie ran the Cafe on Adderley Road at Saltley Gate. I remember the social club on Alum Rock, where I used to sing on the stage Sunday nights for thruppence. The family moved to Brighton in1961, but I can still remember those Christmas parties at the club, happy days...

Jetty Man .. My dad worked at the Morris commercial too . Adderley rd . I think in the late 50s and early 60s till it closed .
I too used to sing on the stage for thruppence and the nice man with a pipe used to stand at one end of the stage . I think I used to sing the good old Elvis number .. 'Ab Yoo eber Bin yonely '
Thats 3 years old language :)
My dad was called Harry Payton . I loved the parties too . Back in the day when Working for a big Car firm was a way of life and you were treated with respect .
Happy days :)

Dave .. My dad did the same as you and worked at the Morris Adderley rd from late 50s right through to the end but he worked on the Track and he also went to Longbridge ..
My dad played for the footie team thought . Harry Payton was his name :)
I Miss him now RIP

Can any one remember a major fire about 1963-64 it was on the Bordesley Green Rd side behind the station I was an Electrical Apprentice at the time and I was called to site one weekend to replace major cables that had been burnt out there must have been about 30 of us working flat out to get production up and running again. Dek

hi dek
I Think you are slightly off track there next to the station on bordesly green rd was the postans paint factory was burt to the ground
it was the paint factory that gutted the electrics of the inside the grounds of the paint factory and the other units of factory bussiness that was behind the factory
as you drtove into the paint factory exit into the grounds there was other factory bussinesses as i recall i went there afew times in my youth of days as i worked for dyno rod in the early days of setting up bussiness in palmston rd sparkbrook for charle baker and his partner in bussiness i remember the fire as well but i was not on site at the time and it was in the afternoon
the fire broke out and you can see pictures and story line in the back issues of the birmingham mail at the libary best wishes astonian

Hi dek and fellow members
just a slight amendment to my last post and put my record straight before some one picks up on it
i said on my last thread the fire was postans paint in fact it was holdens paint on bordesly green rd and not as i have just previously said thanks guys astonian

Astonian you are right regards the fire at Holdens but there was also one at the Morris Commercial in the factory the other side of the station on what is now the Bordesley Trading Estate. Dek

Re:John Horridge

I wondered if anyone remembers my Dad, John Horridge who worked at Morris Commercial from around 1938 to 1970. He was a production clerk and was often on the shop floor stock taking making sure no-one was short of parts. During the war, at the "old" age of 30, against everyone's advice, he packed up the desk job and joined the RAF, trained in Canada for a year then flew in a Halifax as bomb aimer. Years later, but before he died, we found a book showing Luftwaffe targets and there was a white cross marking their target right over his old office! So he wasn't so daft after all. He used to run an old 30 cwt Parcels Van (Morris PV) he converted into a caravan. It would be great to hear from anyone who worked with him in those days.

Jon Horridge

Astonian, It was Pathe. but they amalgamated with other companies like Gaumont. I think the bloke in charge was Mr Fullilove or Mr Fulliforce.
Mr Bibb was apprentice supervisor, Alf was foreman Neville Kershaw was leading hand but he went on to be apprentice superviser. I am a life member of the Apprentices Association.
I was working at SU Carbs when there was a fire in East Works, the local people entered MCC and wheeled vehicles out to save them from the fire. A lot of locals worked at MCC of course.
They had a fantastic club for employees in Ward End I think. One night at an apprentices annual dinner, some older apprentices jacked up Mr Bibbs car and took the wheels off. He had an MG sedan. This Forum site is bringing back many memories of things I had forgotton, it is nearly 50 years since I left.

Hi, My name is Phil Price. You mention Neville Kershaw as a leading hand in training.

I started my apprenticeship at MCC Ltd on 4th Sept. 1967 I was originally interviewed by Pat Collins (Training Foreman) and a Mr Evans (Superintendent). There was another foreman there, much older than Pat, his Name was Alf Heard. There was also Tom Higgins .

Neville Kelsall was then the Training Manager. The Factory Director was Mr. Toll a very tall, yellow haired imposing man.

My Dad worked at "The Morris" His name was Ted Price. He was a sheet metal worker in the Experimental Dept. which was located at the bottom end of A Drive in the main factrory. I know this because I also worked there as an apprentice from 1967 until late 1971 where I was moved to Drews Lane Transmissions plant. Dad was made redundant in around 1970 which was probably all part of the closure process.
Things I can remember clearly are the shop halfway along A drive where you could buy all sorts of items, It was opposite No.1 Machine Shop. I remember Eric, who operated the lift in A Drive. Joe, Toilet attendant in A Drive (at the Arden Road end)
I remember being told of the fire in 1964. All production moved from the East Works into the West Works in a record time and they were more productive afterards. I also remember the Fire Station in the East Works. It was full of awards and there pride & joy was the Austin Gypsy fire tender
When I started there, there was the Minor 1000 van and it's derivatives, J2 JU, J4 LD. The EA was just coming into production and it was a dismal failure in sales as I remember. When the Morris Marina was launched, they moved the Morris 1000 Traveller to Adderly Park to enable production in Cowley.

Back