• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Demolition of Flats in Chelmsley Wood.

W

Wendy

Demolition_001.jpg
Demolition_001.jpg
displayimage.php
displayimage.php
Here are some photo's I found in the loft taken in the 1980's. I am sure someone will know which two blocks these were.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet those cars needed a clean after the dust cloud reached them.I was on a hill just by the Centruriotn Pub that day videoing the event,had to make a hasty retreat when it reached us LOL

Yes I watched the demolition from the top floor of my 3 story town house in Conway Road, it was adjacent to the shopping centre, building on left (opposite bus) is C/W police station, road on the right is Chelmsley Road, nothing could be seen for some time afterwatds because of the dust. Photo must have been taken from top of multi-story car park. Eric

You are right one was Pendrell can't think of the other.
Dr Pomeroy pushed the plunger to bring them down.
He used to have the photos in his surgery.

I watched from opposite, we lived in Conway road.(the flats were on the corner of Perch Avenue/Chelmsley road.
When the dust cloud came we rushed home and shut the door to get away from it,unfortunately left the bedroom windows open and we could smell dust for days.

It was 1987.

Alberta i thought the local paper The Chelmsley Wood News ran a compotision to find a winner to push the "button", and it was won by the landlord of the Centurion, Gerry something or other.

Sorry the year is incorrect.
2 events happened in our family one late 1988 ,the other early 1889.
The photos of these 2 events were on the same roll of film as the demolition and the photography developers lost the film,just great.
So it is either 88/89

Dr Pomeroy had the photo in his office and I don't know of any other Chelmsley flats that were 'blown up'

I think there have been others, I believe the council wish to remove as many tower blocks as possible from Chelmsley Wood as most people prefer a house. Having said that my sister in law lived in one of those flats and she liked them, she is now back in a flat, 6th floor Kingsgate House adjacent to the blocks which were demolished. Eric

Last edited:
Funny how so many of us on here were there. We came from Tamworth to see the event and took our boys. The eldest was just getting interested in photography and he took the photo's.

Hi All,

They're just finishing the demolition of 2 blocks of flats
in Kingfisher Drive, Smith's Wood. Not as spectacular,
though, as these were stripped out, and demolished
from the top down.

Kind regards

Dave

the other name of the flat was Grantley House, which my sister had lived in many years before on the forth floor over looking the river

Sheila, it was,they named the road where they replaced the flats with houses.Grantley Drive.

Welcome to the forum,you will enjoy it here.

Last edited:
Hi, I have just registered with this site for the first time because I am very interested in the photo's you have of the flats being demolished in Perch Avenue, Chelmsley Wood, my son who now lives in California is trying to put together a scrapbook containing where he grew up and we used to live in Pendrell House which was one of those flats, i am unsure how to access your photo's as I am not used to this site yet.

Regards

Derek

Hello Derek it seems the site gremlin has been at work again. I am not sure what has happened to the photo's they seem to have disapeared I will try and re post them. My son took the photo's and he is away at the moment but I can scan them again and send them to you when he gets back..

Demolition_001.jpg
Demolition.jpg
I will try and repost these as it won't allow me to insert
displayimage.php
on the appropriate posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Back