• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tile cross/ marston green / dorridge

Helen, I well remember Ernie French testing his motorcycles down the lane, he was a bit older than me, I'm sixty this July, but would patiently answer my questions about his bikes.
Dave Brown was a good friend of mine, I used to help him out with welding repairs to the many cars he used to repair for others, he was avery good car body repairer and painter. Indeed, he resprayed GUB 580D, my E-type Jaguar, and did a cracking job. Carmen Red!
George Aston lived in the third house in the Fordrift then moved to Coleshill Road, next to one of his rival farmers, Harry Musson. His butchers shop was in Land Lane.
Sarah? Can't remember the surname but their business was The Stechford Bacon Company.
I remember hearing of the birth of the Jones triplets, if memory serves they were the result of IVF treatment.
The Burleys lived at the top end of Elmdon Lane, a few houses before the station. I occasionally have a drink with Dave Burley who now lives at Furnace End and his brother runs a door, window and hardware shop called Flair, in the centre of Marston Green.
The other names you mention don't ring any bells, regrettably.
Ask Si for his former address, please, and remind me of his surname, if I don't recall him then my brother Alan or one of my sisters, Mavis and Peggy, may well.

All the best,

Ian

Ann...I dont think there was a crash ....according to this snippet ..it simply ran off the runway....and the reg no was different , unless there was more than one incident.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don Everall operated a Jersey Service from Birmingham Elmdon airport in the fifties first of all using De Havilland Dragon Rapides and then later Douglas DC3 Dakota aircraft of which they had two, one being G-ANEG. One of their DC3s ran off the runway in at Birmingham. G-ANEG was later sold to Executive Air Transport who were based at Elmdon.[/FONT]

Right, tile cross it is then.

Attachments

• Tile Cross Pre-fab Estate.jpg
    Tile Cross Pre-fab Estate.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 18
The picture states, - Tile Cross prefab estate 12th August 1952.
I think lots of people had Anderson shelters after the war, as sheds.

Still got some near where I grew up as they have been protected. I recall one near Trittiford Road burning in the middle of the night. As the asbestos heated the air trapped exploded and it was just like gunfire.

The picture states, - Tile Cross prefab estate 12th August 1952.
I think lots of people had Anderson shelters after the war, as sheds.
Odd but most seem to have the shelters. So did they build them just in case or was the estate commissioned before the end of the war?

Odd but most seem to have the shelters. So did they build them just in case or was the estate commissioned before the end of the war?

Cheap sheds I think, loads of Gov't surplus stuff still about even when I was a kid.

werent they meant to be buried when they were air raid shelters ?

Shirestone road, Tile Cross. Hope its the sort of thing you want

Attachments

• tile cross shirestone road.JPG
    tile cross shirestone road.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Derek
Ii hope you don't mind I tweeked a copy for you so if you right click them you can save it to your
computer.

Regards Stars

Image1.jpg

Attachments

• Mail0001 3.jpg
    Mail0001 3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 48
Do you know the area?
i used to help the baker who lived in Shirestone road,
a also liked the chip shop at the end of the road mmm.
i lived in the lea hall area went to lea village school
did,nt like school much.... regards dereklcg

Knowing absolutely nothing about Tile Cross as I do, please don't ask me anything about these photos other that what they are tagged with, but I'm sure somebody will be able to help out.

Attachments

• Tile Cross Tile Cross Rd 1964.jpg
    Tile Cross Tile Cross Rd 1964.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Tile Cross Flats & Prefabs.JPG
    Tile Cross Flats & Prefabs.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Tile Cross Sheldon Hall 1953[1].jpg
    Tile Cross Sheldon Hall 1953[1].jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Tile Cross Shirestone Rd.jpg
    Tile Cross Shirestone Rd.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 50
Thanks Phil and Derek
No problem i am familier with the area. Yes derek i used to be on the milk as a kid
and had breakfast in Eddies Cafe up the village. I lived on the Radleys for a while. My wife lived in Lea Village.
So Derek our paths have passed a few times i suspect.

Regards Stars

Changinman, I am not quite sure but it may have been associated with Sheldon Hall. There is a lot of information for the area in Sheldon library

Sorry but you have your dates slightly wrong. You see I started playing golf while I was at school in 1967 and played at marston green which was already a 9 hole course. I left school in 1968 and took a job as an an assistant golfer on marston green with the pro Mr A R Thompson. I left before the closing of marston green golf course. I have wonderfully memories of my time spent there. Mr Thompson was the best golf teacher I have ever encountered.

Back