• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Group photos

G day mate , I'm not an aussie though I might talk like one but still a Brummie. Just going through the posts and see a pic the school class when you went to London.

Hello ozontop
Sorry I've only just noticed your post so I failed to answer. It's been nearly a year after you posted ! I did live on the Beeches - Grindleford Rd. I remember all the names you mention. I left the school in 48 - passed the 13 plus for Handsworth Tech but found it hard there. I remember a family in the road emigrating to Oz, the lad's name was David Street. He had a cousin Donald ????? (can't remember surname) their family emigrated too. My mate Lawrence Woodhall in my class also emigrated.
cheers oldmohawk

I have posted this group photo before on another thread but I think a School Group Section is a good idea.

PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN IN 1953 – 54 AT ST. MARY’S JUNIOR SCHOOL ASTON

Back Row: Mr. Tunnicliffe (Headmaster), David Bath, Roger Porter, Kenneth Hawkins, Barry ???, John Weare, Frank Payne, Jennifer Bazeley, Maureen Hazel, Christine Brierley, Pat ???, Irene Sheldon, Miss Price (Teacher).
2nd Row: Graham Rowe, Raymond ???, Malcolm Brooks, Dennis Broadmoor, Anthony Watts, Colin Lydon, Pamela/Ruth ???, Janet ???, ???, ???, Hazel Toovy, ???.
Front Row (seated): Frederick Martin, David Robinson, Raymond Hartley, George Coffman, Roy Whitmore, ???, Stella Barlone/Barlow , Margaret Chorley, ???, Phyllis Blizzard?, ???.
Seated on Ground: George Cockayne, Raymond Franklin, Michael Taber.
If anybody out there recognises themselves or someone else, please let me know as I would love to fill in the blanks.

Interestingly, in one of my posts in September 2008, I mentioned one of the lads on the photo, John Weare, who I said was very clever and I thought he would have gone on to be a university professor. Well, his younger sister, June, contacted me through Friends Reunited a couple of weeks ago, after seeing this photo with the names listed. Guess what? John was a Professor of Physics at Oxford University (now retired) and is also a CBE. I have been conversing with June via email which has brought back memories for all three of us. June has also applied to join the Forum.

That's great you picked up on the suggestion from last April oldMohawk to start a school photo thread. I didn't hear anything back from Keith on it and so nothing happened. Glad you got it going.
Photo of Handsworth Wood Girls County Modern, Church Lane. June 1958

View attachment 25719
Teachers and Prefects June 1958
View attachment 25720
Junior 4 St. Augustine's Roman Catholic School, Handsworth 1954

View attachment 25721
If you click on the photos they will enlarge a bit. If you recognise anyone please let me know.

Last edited:
Here's one of Soho College, Soho Hill, Handsworth - Hockey Team 1954. I'm at the back, 3rd from top left. With dark pullover and tie!

Judy, I just hated hockey. We played on a field at the top of Rookery Road near Soho Road I think. Mo

I wasn't keen on hockey either Mo. We used to play at Dennisons Watch Case Company's Sports Field which I think was in Perry Barr or Gt Barr. Used to get the bus going up Hampstead Road past Handsworth Park.

Judy

Just on the edge of Kingstanding, a group of children in Cavendale Avenue at a 'Victory in Japan' Street Party in 1945 as WW2 ended. We were happy to dress up for it after all the 'drabness' of the war. Anyone see themselves or anyone else?

Attachments

• VJ_Party.jpg
    VJ_Party.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Here are two photo's with my brother on. The first is my brother at Yew Tree road school. The one with the ball and the other of the Handsworth Grammar school football team first row on the left. Both these were featured in the December issue of Brummagem. I think Patty put my one on of the day I left school. Two on that photo have just joined the forum. Jean.
Jean I recognise the old B*******, headmaster of Handsworth Grammar "Joe Walton" a reverend as well....may he be consigned to hell and damnation!!!!!!

Anybody got any photos of Holy Souls catholic church in the mid 50's, Birches Green Junior school in the late 50's early 60's and Erdington Grammar school from 60's onwards...or Paget Rd school in the early 60's...please... My Mum may have some,so when I next see her I will ask her to sort some out and put them on. Are we going to have a School Photo section all to itself? Thanks

Hi folks,

I'm the current network manager at Ridpool School and wonder if any of you could help us.

On the 30th of November Ridpool will be closing for the last time and Reopening as Lea Forest Primary Academy. As a school we want to have a week of celebrations that show our children and parents the history of the school (76 years) Please feel free to send any images, stories or memories to the following email address.

[email protected]

many thanks

John Croxon
Network Manager
Ridpool Primary School

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see this old thread pop up.
I went on a GKN Management Course at Magdelene College Cambridge for 3 weeks in September 1969 ... we pretended to be students although we didn't look like them !
cam009.jpg

I put this pic on with comments and other pics in another thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19580&p=152393#post152393

Handsworth Technical School swimming team 1964 I think.

TMP2.jpg

Your truly 2nd from left backrow.
Trophy is the Handsworth Shield.

You all look very well behaved Phil. I see there are 3 ladies in there, must have been unusual to have female managers at GKN in 1969. APS great photo. Your swimming team were happy about their trophy weren't they?!

Another work group : GPO Engineering Section, Fordrough Lane, Bordesley Green 1945 (photo in two parts). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372274197.110264.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372274222.088544.jpg

APS great photo. Your swimming team were happy about their trophy weren't they?!
Another work group : GPO Engineering Section, Fordrough Lane, Bordesley Green 1945 (photo in two parts). Viv.
View attachment 87055View attachment 87056
The swimming team do look rather dour but my memories of HTS were lots of work and little play except at the sports field.
The GPO look very well staffed at Bordesley Green in 1945 but they look cheerful maybe because the war had just ended.
I've got this group pic elsewhere on the forum -we looked happy in 1956 at Melksham in Wiltshire, and a Londoner holds a brick over a Welshman's head !
Outside_Hut_RAF_Melksham.JPG

That has to be a first Phil; holding a brick over a Welshman's head! Was it a London brick?

Joseph Lucas's first rugby club first XV team in 1963. V.

Re: It's good we have another one!

Looking at picture immediate left of Wilf Caulton that looks like me (school captain) Cyril Ellett nicknamed Dim (probably because I was so bright - that's my story anyway)
now aged 81 and living in Bearwood. I think the lad in the front row (fourth from left) was named Hodgson.

Hi Dimmy (Cyril)
Interesting to hear from someone else who was on that Aldridge Rd school trip. Unfortunately I don't remember you but I was in the 1st or maybe 2nd form when that pic was taken. I can remember some names from all those years ago and maybe you remember Mr Edge who is 4th from the left in the row you are in. I do remember we stopped near Towcester on the way to London and because I had my penknife with me, I carved my initials on a tree by the side of the A5 road.

Maybe you remember a part of Beeches Rd shown in some pics on the forum in the link below ....
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34125&p=359259#post359259

Mr Edge was my form teacher and assistant to A.C.Locker the headmaster. Wilf Caulton was the acknowledged maths teacher, Mr Groves science and Mr Smith woodwork.
If you can suggest how I can obtain a photo of the cricket team 1947 or 1948 I would be most grateful. Most of my misspent youth embraced the community centre at the top of hassop road where I used to play snooker. The white house was where we sometimes paid the rent

Unfortunately, the photo I uploaded in post #2 is the only school photo I have.
I have put some photos from my childhood days in various threads on the forum.
A couple are click/here.
No doubt you remember our local G.I's from the Pheasey Base - mentioned and discussed on the forum.

I often come across photos of groups of people and look to see if I know anyone. I think it's a pity to lose them so here's the first of some which others might be interested in.

The first is British Gas staff Perry Barr in 1936, the second is Saltley School Army Cadets and the third is Harrison Road Working Mens Club in Erdington. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
smashing photos viv..with any luck someone maybe able to spot a rellie or two its always worth posting them.

thanks for sharing them

lyn

image.jpg
A group photo of staff of the bank in Lewis's (Lewis's/Martin's Bank). Sorry no date. Looks about 1950s. Pity we can't read the calendar in the background! Looks like they employed mostly women at the time. And they would have had to resign if they married - if this is the 1950s. Viv.

Last edited:
I had an account at Lewis's Bank in the 1950's so someone in that photo might have served me .....

I've got a few group photos on the forum and a link to one here. It was taken in Sept 1969 when GKN held yearly management courses at Magdalene College in Cambridge. We were there for three weeks living like students in the college and had a private visit in the Pepys Library. Fond memories of Cambridge.

Thinking back to just two months before the photo was taken I had listened in the early hours of a morning to the first moon landing live. I will never forget that moment.
cam009.jpg

Thanks for posting Phil, a photo truly of its time. Only 3 women out of 74 students on your management course. GKN certainly was a male domain in those days. I expect that statistic would have been typical of any engineering company. Looks like quite a mix of ages though. Viv.

Thanks for posting Phil, a photo truly of its time. Only 3 women out of 74 students on your management course. GKN certainly was a male domain in those days. I expect that statistic would have been typical of any engineering company. Looks like quite a mix of ages though. Viv.
It was worse than you think Viv. The lady on the left was the secretary of the boss who is sitting next to her on her left. The two women on the right were secretaries who sorted out the paperwork for us busy chaps ...
Phil

Last edited:
Back