• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Balsall Heath.

Jill

I got these photo's of Hope Street School from another site, I am sure the poster an ex resident of Balsall Heath who now lives abroad will not mind me posting them here.

Phil
this is the back of hope st school in st lukes rd, do you have any photos of the front side. I used to go to hope st myself .left in 1962. thanks for the memories.

Hi pmcdemott

Sorry I can't help with photos of the school the only other photos I have of Hope St that I haven't posted previously are these.

Phil

Attachments

• Highgate Hope St The Baltic.jpg
    Highgate Hope St The Baltic.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Highgate Duke of Cambridge Hope St Highgate.jpg
    Highgate Duke of Cambridge Hope St Highgate.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Highgate Hope St 1967 .jpg
    Highgate Hope St 1967 .jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
Hi pmcdemott

Sorry I can't help with photos of the school the only other photos I have of Hope St that I haven't posted previously are these.

Phil
thanks for these pictures, i used to live opposite the baltic pub behind the asian grocery shop on the corner of hope st & sherlock st behind no.272,so i only had to fall ouy of bed to get to school.i am sorry i have no pictures of the area, but i have plenty of real good memories of my childhood years there.

This might be of interest to any one from Balsall Heath, it's from a book,
Memories of Balsall Heath,Highgate and Sparkbrook as rememdered by people from the day care centre for the elderly Balsall Heath Church Centre
They are in alphabetical order:- Mrs Violet Ashmore, Mr Victor Brown, Mrs Florence Carter, Mrs Elizabeth Crampton, Mrs Maud Goode, Mrs Kathleen Henson, Mr Sid Hewitt, Mr Sidney Smith, Mr Leonard Stanley, Mrs Elsie Wasdell and Mrs Wright

hi
what nice surprise to see a picture of electric public house in belgrave. we used to
live 4 doors down from the pub
my gran mother had a grocery shop.next door to murrils fish@ chipshop on the
corner of frank st @belgrave rd

i dont remember murrils fish and chip shop .on corner of frank street and belgrave rd .but i do remember jarvis.s on corner of frank street and highgate street by st.patricks school. we used to have a pennyworth of "scribbles "with loads of salt and vinegar ...what year was murrils open ?

hi
murrils fish shop was there till aprox 1953.then some else took over
any body got photos of queens coronation in frank st

Hi,first post so here goes, i was born in sherborne road in 1947, my sister carol reeves 1945 went to mary street sch, i went to st patricks, we lived at 8/128 sherborne rd, opposite the entrace to the yard (where there were 12 houses, served by 12 toilets and two brew houses) were two shops and a coal yard, i thought the shops were owned by the Mr and Mrs Richards, one a grocery and next door a drapers. My mother May Reeves worked at Always Castors at the bottom of sherborne road, my dad phillip, worked for willmot breedon,

Hi Jackytrow I was born in 1946 in River street and moved in 1957 to Sherborne Rd no 145 almost opposite Longbridge Rd. I remember the Coal Yard up up the hill and it was run by a big lady. My mum used to send me up with a pram to have a couple of big shovels full of coal. She was very strong lady but I can't remember her name. me and my 6 brothers and sisters also went to Mary Street. Can't say I remember the name Reeves unfortunately. We were the Arnolds. Welcome to the Forum

thanks for that, just found this site, looking forward catching up with old school friends if possible, and sharing memories

How great to read your memories of Balsall Heath Robert. I lived in Longmore Street (I'm sure you remember where this is) and used to frequent the Luxor often. We used to go to the Saturday morning kids show and a couple of evenings as well. I loved Betty Grable and Betty Hutton films. My best friend was Betty Grable and I was Betty Hutton when we played out the next day. My grandfather had Henn's greengrocers in Clevedon Road. You were lucky to have an entrance to your cellar for the coal. We had it left outside our only door and had to cart it in bucket by bucket to the inside coal hole. We had one downstairs room, one bedroom on top of that and an attic on top of that. Damp wasn't the word!! We had just the one cold water tap. But our mom always had a roaring fire in the cold weather and our dinner on the table and made it cosy for us. I too remember the outside loos. Bloody cold in the snowy weather but, as you say, useful for catching up on the news! And we had a brew house for washing (laundry that is). Bet you played footie on the black patch in Calthorpe Park. Chris is thinking of the Triangle Cinema in her post (or the flea pit as it was known locally) - that was in Gooch Street wasn't it? Thank you Robert for your post. Jill.
Sounds like our house in Hope Street Jill.
We had to go up the yard for the toilet which was shared between 4 houses. We had a brew house for doing the laundry. We had a coal cellar, that I was petrified of, and an attic, that my Irish Dad would threaten to "throw us up with the banshee's" if we played up.
I remember 'Woolies' in Gooch street, and the sound of the ladie's stilleto's on the wooden floor. The public toilets, where we used to fight to be first to peep through a key hole to see the canal. My first school was Hope Street, and I remember my Mom buying the cans of Ostermilk, and bottles of concentrated orange juice for my baby Brother from the clinic up the road.
I remember a smallpox epidemic, and having to queue for the vaccination.
I have happy memories of living in Hope street.
My Husband was also born in Balsall Heath, in Belgrave road.

Hi
Your map is brilliant where did you get it from? I was born in River Street and later lived in Sherbourne Road. The house next door to the factory! I was one of 7 children and our name was Arnold and my Mum only had one leg! My aunty Lil lived in Longbridge road. There was a bombed building (bomb peck) at the bottom of the road. There was also an abbatoir at the bottom of Sherborne road and the children used to watch the piglets being delivered and we always waited for one to escape so all the kids could chase it! Such fun. anyone out there remember our family?
My Father-in-law talks of the animals being delivered for slaughter. He lived in Belgrave Avenue with his Mother-in-law, Ida Griffin, who had 3 Children. Win, Bernard, and Sheila. My Father-in-law's name is Stan Gallears.

Hello rustie and welcome, I'm sorry I can find a photo of your dad's shop, but I was able to find one or two of the Court Rd locality.

Phil
I remember those urinals!! They used to stink something rotten whenever we passed them.

Dr MacGregor brought me into the world,in St Martins flats,no hospital then.The surgery moved across the road later but it was never the same.
Dr MacGregor brought me into the world too!! AND all my siblings.

I remember those urinals!! They used to stink something rotten whenever we passed them.
did you go to hope st school when mr drayton was headmaster, and mr green took over from him? I left the school in 1963 and went work aat lewis's department store.i enjoyed my time at that school very much

Hi walshy..you mentioned your mom going to upper highgate girls school .i went there as well as my 3 sisters .i remember a wright family who used to live near the back entrance to the school in upper highgate street....what no in conybere st did they live at ..we lived at 195..near hick street.i wa at the school until1961/2....miss robertshaw was head mistress and i kept in touch with her until she died aged 98.......

hi my grandads family lived at that adress i wonder if you have any info on my family cheers

HI again

I believe the stokes family lived at number 65 Studley street, it was because of the bombing my family moved out, some to lapworth and the others to Shirley.
I have not been down there for years now but the last time I went, there was still one original building halfway down on the right facing ladypool road.
Originaly studley street was called Victoria street until 1897, there is a large scale 1883 map of the streets in Birmingham central Libary if your interested.

Regards

John

Must remember to ask santa for a Tardis at xmas.
my grandad lived in studley street thomas stokes do you anything about his family

I lived in Hope Street till I was 5 years old, and went to Hope Street school for a short time.
I remember being in the paper for the opening of the first playgroup in Birmingham, at Hope Street School, and I insisted on licking the back of the 'fuzzy felt' shapes to make them stick.
My Husband was born in Belgrave Avenue.

I remember my Mom had a friend with 2 Daughters who had been badly burned in a house fire, and were terribly scarred. I was terrified of these girls, and would scream whenever they came near to us. Does anyone else remember them, back in the early 60's??

i think johnny stokes lived off formans rd about 1967,in sparkhill,does the name goldsborough ring any bells,they where related to him, they lived barford st deritend
yes we are related to gouldsborough my aunt evelyn married a jim gouldsborough

hi debbie stokes .was the address your grandads family lived at 195.conybere street highgate bham 12.? we lived there from around 1955 to 1961...then moved across the road when they were pulling the old houses down..

DEBBIE STOKES ..what year did you grandads family live there .at conybere st.
and LERRYN GAL. i remember a girl called mary hodgson who was badly burned in a house fir but i dont think she had any siblings...she lived in conybere street...

hi debbie stokes .was the address your grandads family lived at 195.conybere street highgate bham 12.? we lived there from around 1955 to 1961...then moved across the road when they were pulling the old houses down..
I only know that my grandad lived on studley street with an alice i have no further addresses for him but i believe he had many wifes my nan was an evelyn walker her maiden name was foster.We are trying to trace all of his children which we believe was 23.

yes we are related to gouldsborough my aunt evelyn married a jim gouldsborough
i was courting christine goldsborough many moons ago in the early sixties,thats how i met johnnie stokes,we used to speak to him on the phone he had set up in the barrel from the managers office at the rink; and i went to his house once with christine.

i was courting christine goldsborough many moons ago in the early sixties,thats how i met johnnie stokes,we used to speak to him on the phone he had set up in the barrel from the managers office at the rink; and i went to his house once with christine.
crikey my cousin christine she ended up with 8 children did you know any of johnnys bro and sisters

Back