• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sheldon

hi all just came accross this pic of lyndon green farm in sheldon....

apologies if its been posted before...

lyn

Attachments

• Sheldon Lyndon Green Farm 1938.jpg
    Sheldon Lyndon Green Farm 1938.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
Instruct

I only just spotted this request, Will this photo of the Cabin do? Its a little later when it had been upgraded.

Phil

Attachments

• Garretts Green Sheldon Heath Rd Cabin.jpg
    Garretts Green Sheldon Heath Rd Cabin.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 136
I hail from Silvermere Road and we used to hold our school sports day
at King George V playing fields.

Always managed to skip off for the afternoon, no-one ever missed a few
dozen out of a few hundred.

Not a good idea if you were selected for the last leg of the relay race though...

I know this is a long shot but has anyone got a photo of the shops round the corner of Cockshut Hill? I think I recall a greengrocers. a chemist and a chip shop? :confused:

Rowan,

I haven't yet come across a photo of those shops. I remember there was an outdoor on the corner of Cockshut Hill. Then, besides the ones you have mentioned, there was Jobs, which was the newsagents and sweet shop, and a butchers, and possibly a barbers. It would be nice to find a photo.

Ann

Thank you Ann,
I recall the outdoor on the corner and faintly the paper shop but the grocer/green grocers and the chemist are really clear in my mind purely

because at the grocers you could get broken biscuits and at the greengrocers you could get bruised apples and the chemist, if I remember right, was where I bought my newborn half brother a little pair
of bootees :)

Maybe someone has a photo of the shops. I left Duncroft Road about 1952/53

Rowan,

It's the outdoor, chip shop for the batter scratchings, and newsagents for their ice cold orange pop, that I remember most. Let's hope someone finds an old photo. Not the same, but I've taken these two of the shops off Goggle Earth Street View. The first one, you can see where the outdoor used to be.

Ann

I've added to this post two older photos that were not available at the time this post was made

Attachments

• Sheldon Garretts Green Lane 1957 .jpg
    Sheldon Garretts Green Lane 1957 .jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 114
  • garretts green 2.JPG
    garretts green 2.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 103
  • garretts green lane.JPG
    garretts green lane.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Sheldon Garretts Green Lane 1955.JPG
    Sheldon Garretts Green Lane 1955.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 108
I hail from Silvermere Road and we used to hold our school sports day
at King George V playing fields.

Always managed to skip off for the afternoon, no-one ever missed a few
dozen out of a few hundred.

Not a good idea if you were selected for the last leg of the relay race though...

Thanks everyone - Ann and Len especially, for the entertaining and instructive information. Neville, KGV was used by my school, St Thomas More's as well. We had one or two footy battles with you lads there in 1963/64. The big day of the year was the Sheldon School Sports at which my school regularly came bottom of the heap :-(

As good a job as they've done with the Country Park all the way over from the Coventry Road I'd as sooner remember the days when it was quite wild and much more of an adventure, with the stream in particular - which I think has gone underground now?

Two photographs taken from the tower of St. Giles in 1967. The first shows The King George V Memorial playing fields, and the second the view over Ragley Drive and the Old Rectory farm.

Ann

Attachments

• Yardley King George Memorial Playing Fields1967 .jpg
    Yardley King George Memorial Playing Fields1967 .jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Yardley Old Rectory Farm and Radley Drive from St. Giles Tower1967 .jpg
    Yardley Old Rectory Farm and Radley Drive from St. Giles Tower1967 .jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 82
I myself lived on the radleys from 1950 to 1969 and used to go over the park. i remember a park keeper a very large man who used to ride around on a little vallaset motorbike. We used to have a swing in the dell. There was a tree called the umbrella tree, because of its shape. I have many good memories of the area and schools, Elms farm and sheldon heath.

hi robert
Yes that was his nickname gesler, he looked just like the one in william tell. i remember how small that motorbike looked with such a large man riding it. we would call him names so he would chase us, then head for the river and run across to loose him.The last time i looked at the dell end of the park about 4 year ago it was very overgrown, not as it used to be with about 3 or 4 football pitches. The rope swing we had would have to be pulled up at night, otherwise the would cut it down. We had some good times.

Ollerton Rd/Barrows Lane traffic Island or Roundabout 1960 & 2009 see correction #115 this thread . Len.

Attachments

• Sheldon Barrows Lane - Ollerton Rd .jpg
    Sheldon Barrows Lane - Ollerton Rd .jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 95
  • ollerton rd.JPG
    ollerton rd.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 91
Sorry Wessex ,don't know your age but the horse and cart was still around in 1960s.
My husband born 1952 often tells of his father sending him out when he was aged about 8/9 to shovel up after the milkmans horse.Good for the roses.

Last edited:
oh gosh alberta..of course the horse and cart was still used in the 60s...i remember it well into the late 60s....used to wait for the rag and bone man to come round...mom would give us a few bits to give him and in return we would either be given a balloon or a goldfish..

happy days...

ps somewhere i have posted a pic of old tom..the rag and bone man who travelled the aston/lozells area....will try and find it....

lyn:)

here you go...old tom the rag and bone man...dad remembers him well...looking at the lads clothes i would say this was taken certainly in the middle to late 60s...

lyn

Attachments

• Lozells Clifford St.jpg
    Lozells Clifford St.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 49
Brays Rd/Barrows Lane Island, two views, 10/09/2009. Len.

Attachments

• brays rd.JPG
    brays rd.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 66
  • brays rd -barrows lane.JPG
    brays rd -barrows lane.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 65
So many good things have disappeared from Sheldon. I was visiting a few weeks ago. There used to be a general stores/sweetie shop at the Cov Road end of Barrows Lane - it's a private house now. At the junction of Wagon Lane and the New Cov Road used to stand a rather grand, private house with a lot of statuary - now bland offices.

Shame on those that allowed the Wagon & Horses to disappear. There was a public house on that site long before the one that was recently burnt down and demolished.

The Sheldon Cinema is a Tescos. Many a happy and rowdy Saturday matinee took place there. And right next door another sweetie shop, the Bon Bon. A speciality of theirs was frozen Jubblys which, once the orange was sucked out, used to make great ammunition at the matinee. Until they were (unsurprisingly) banned.

kat, I hope this will be helpful to you. Len.

Contents

SHELDON
MANORS CHURCH ADVOWSON CHARITIES The Sheldon Bread Charity. Footnotes

SHELDON

Acreage: 2,620.
Population: 1911, 451; 1921, 526.
Under the Birmingham and Sutton Coldfield Order, 1931, the greater part of Sheldon was transferred to the City of Birmingham. Subsequently what remained was divided between Coleshill and Solihull, so that the civil parish of Sheldon has ceased to exist.
The old parish is bounded on the north by the River Cole (fn. 1) and on the east for the most part by the Kingshurst and Hatchford brooks. The church and village lie in the south of the parish, connected by several small roads with the road from Coventry to Birmingham, which crosses the parish near its southern edge, entering it by Hatchford Bridge. About a mile north of this bridge the Birmingham and Rugby line of the L.M.S. Railway enters Sheldon, near Eastern Bridge (formerly Easthall) and Mackadown, crossing the parish in a north-westerly direction. On the western boundary, a mile west of Mackadown, is the rectangular earthwork known as Kent's Moat. (fn. 2)
Mackadown Farm has walls of cemented brickwork probably of the 18th century, but it has a 17th-century timber-framed barn by the road-side.
Another farm-house, about ¼ mile north-east of it, has some 17th-century timber-framing in its east front, and a barn mostly of brick also preserves a few earlier timbers.
Sheldon Hall is a long and shallow house about 2 miles north of the church. It consists of a main block of two stories and attics built of red and black bricks with stone dressings, dating from the first half of the 16th century. It contains the original ground-floor hall facing south with a square projecting bay at the east end of its front, and a wide screens-passage and projecting porch-wing west of it, the main wall forming a recess between the two. West of this block is a cross-wing, and east of it a pair of similar crosswings with rough-casted walls, probably all of timber-framing and of c. 1600. The gabled fronts of the three are in the same plane as those of the two earlier and narrower projections.
The original part of the south elevation has moulded string-courses marking the floor-levels, and the heads of the porch-wing and the bay are gabled high up so that their ridges are level with that of the main block. The windows are plain square-headed mullioned openings of stone, with transoms to the ground and first floors. Of the pair of three-lights to each story of the main wall the upper eastern window is blocked. The bay is of four lights on the front and one light in the western return wall on each floor. The porch-wing has a four-light window, now blocked. The stone entrance to the porch has an elliptical arch. In the inner doorway is an original oak nail-studded door; it has a drop ring-handle, with an ornamental plate, which is also a knocker on a lower plate and knob.
The back wall of this block is of red and black brickwork (unplastered inside the hall) and has a projecting chimney-stack with two pairs of diagonal shafts, two with diagonal pilasters (or star-shaped in plan). In this the lower hall has a 9 ft.-wide fire-place with stone jambs and an oak lintel. The fire-place was in the middle of the north side of the hall but a later partition now cuts off a space equal with the east bay. The ceiling is divided by early-16th-century moulded beams. The original timber-framed partition with a moulded top beam remains between the hall and entrance-passage west of it. The upper hall has a late-16th-century stone fire-place with moulded jambs and flat three-centred arch, and there is a second-floor fire-place.
The later rough-casted wings have projecting gable-heads on shaped brackets. The oak mullioned and transomed windows resemble the stone windows. The windows to the east wings are modern, except an upper one at the back. Both east and west walls have brick projecting chimney-stacks of c. 1600. The western of these chimney-stacks is gathered in at the sides with crow-stepping and has two shafts with V-shaped pilasters. The eastern has a group of three and another of two diagonal shafts with pilasters. This stack has, in the lower story, a moulded stone Tudor fire-place, and, in the upper, another differently moulded. There are several moulded oak doorways in the wings, and one from the original entrance passage into the west wing has a 17th-century panelled door. In the wing east of the hall is a 17th-century staircase from the first to the second floor, but the lower part has been replaced by a modern stair.
Around the house are the remains of a moat of irregular four-sided plan; the south side is now filled in.
The White Hart Inn at Tile Cross, a little south of Sheldon Hall, has some 17th-century framing in the south-east front.
Outmoor Farm, ¼ mile west of the Hall, is an early-to mid-17th-century house with walls mostly of timber-framing covered with rough-cast. It is a fairly tall building of two stories and has two gables on each face. The windows have modern frames. On each side is a chimney-stack with two pairs of conjoined octagonal shafts.

St Giles's, girlfriend says that their is a story about having a connection with the Knights Templer? Her dad apparently told it her when she was younger but she can't remember it now

I thought it could be possibe obviously with Temple Balsall being so close
. Chesh could this be the connection the girlfriend can`t remember?, i marked it with #. Len. There are ten funeral monuments in the tower, of which the earliest is dated 1724 to Joseph Charman.
There are four bells, of which the oldest is of the 16th century, inscribed STA. MARIA, by Newcombe of Leicester; another is dated 1650; the smallest bears the date of its re-casting, March 1723.
The communion plate includes a chalice bearing the date 1717.
The registers begin in 1558.
#In the churchyard is a 13th-century tapering coffin lid with a plain long Calvary cross. This was found buried beneath the soil in 1867. (fn. 74)#.

Len, your information was really helpful, thankyou very much for your time and help with this.

The person I am researching is Joseph Linforth b1856. It seems that the area of Eastern Bridge was the original settlement of Sheldon.

The address on the 1911 Census is Sheldon Forge, Marston Green and over written with Eastern Bridge, Sheldon. A Joseph Linforth b1856 - d1936, is buried in St Giles, Sheldon. I am hoping this is the same person.

It has been suggested to me that he may have also occupied 'The Smithy' opposite St Giles Church but I have not been able to confirm this. Thanks again Kat

Hi Kat, I don`t think Joseph was in the smithy opposite St Giles church, Eastern railway bridge crossed Mackadown Lane (and still does) and Blacksmiths lived were smithy was, so i think another smithy must be looked for, kat, i am happy to help, Len.

Last edited:
Yes Len, you are probably right. The Linforth family used the names Joseph b1855/6, Thomas b1821 and John b1791 over and over and I have found two entries + of each of these with same birthdates, born in Coleshill. The family were mainly shopkeepers, Blacksmiths and Saddlers. Think I will put these away for a while! But now I know a bit more thanks Len

Hi Dave, Yes, that's what I was hoping it would be. I thought Joseph may have occupied the 'smithy' after 1911 - guess I will have to wait for the next census, thanks Dave any info is welcome

. Chesh could this be the connection the girlfriend can`t remember?, i marked it with #. Len. There are ten funeral monuments in the tower, of which the earliest is dated 1724 to Joseph Charman.
There are four bells, of which the oldest is of the 16th century, inscribed STA. MARIA, by Newcombe of Leicester; another is dated 1650; the smallest bears the date of its re-casting, March 1723.
The communion plate includes a chalice bearing the date 1717.
The registers begin in 1558.
#In the churchyard is a 13th-century tapering coffin lid with a plain long Calvary cross. This was found buried beneath the soil in 1867. (fn. 74)#.

I'll have to check with her, I think the story came from her Dad.

Also can anyone say when Parkdale Road was built?

Thanks len, gf's Grandfather moved to Parkdale when it was built so we were trying to put a time on it.

Hi Chesh,
I live in Cranes Park road, and I believe our house dates from 1938, and there is 1938 on the shops at the mapledene end of the road, I would imagine Parkdale Road was built around the same time.

Back