• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rookery House, Erdington

florence butler

master brummie
On Carl's programme today, Lynn, a member of Friends of Rookery, who are fighting for the future of the Grade 2 listed manor house in Erdington, was informing everyone of the open day on Sat 18 October from the afternoon through to evening. All will be welcome :)

This may be the last time the public are allowed to view because the council intend to closed this wonderful building and board it up - due to 'health and safety regs'. BUT WHAT WILL THEY ULTIMATELY DO WITH IT???? :(

More info here www.thisissuttoncoldfield.co.uk/news/Erdington

Kind regards....Florence :)

Hopefully, the Friends of Rookery House will prevail and the place will be kept open and used. I doubt that the Council have a clue how to promote the use of this place. The gardens each summer must cost a fortune to plant out and are simply amazing. Not good news but I have hope that it will be kept open. There are far too many places boarded up in Birmingham these days.

Rookery house today 30/5/09:(
Just praying it don't get burned, like so many other boarded up buildings do:(

Sadly when boarded up there`s only one way :(

I hope you are wrong ! How old is the house,wouldnt it be protected,I bet if you wanted to put a plastic conservatory on it the council would be up in arms. Friends of Rookery could you tell me the history please. As a girl I used to live in the maisonettes on Bromford Lane and the park was our playground. We used to smoke behind the changing rooms:dft005:..Park Drive....yaaakkk! I couldnt smoke one now if you paid me...the house was nice then

Very nice pics Frothblower and Dave M...

Dave M...Thankfully there's not ALWAYS only one way. See my new thread Derelict Church Restoration.

Florence :)

Does anyone know of contact details for Friends of Rookery House?
I'm hoping to get some background on the situation.
Have had no luck with my friend Google.

I have sent an e-mail to The Friends of Pype Hayes Park as it is local to Rookery and asked if they can give any information or contacts, if i hear anything i, of course, will let you know.
I also asked, if you don't ask you don't get, if any of their members would fancy doing a write up of the history of their park plus any modern day news and posting it on our site :rolleyes:

bren

Hi DGLP: Yiou might try sending an e-mail or phoning the information
numbers on this site to find out how to contact the Friends of Rookery House. It is a very sad state of affairs as Erdington doesn't have
another place like Rookery House. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=30497&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=1743
Hi JennyAnn. That link is broke - possibly due to the BCC website revamp. Can you get me the details and paste them here?
ta either way.

I have sent an e-mail to The Friends of Pype Hayes Park as it is local to Rookery and asked if they can give any information or contacts, if i hear anything i, of course, will let you know.
bren

Brill! I hope that works!

Back