• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Trams

There you go:p
O.C.
No longer a member

Rather%20Not%20Say.gif

icon1.gif
Re: Accidents
Here is a picture of the Tram accident 1st Oct 1907, info states tram overturned when brakes failed and as the tram gathered speed a lot of the passengers were injured who jumped off
Attached Thumbnails

Another car off the track but with far less tragic outcome than the Warstone Lane derailment. In June 1953 car 616, later to become the famous last tram, decided he wanted to go up Corporation Street instead of Steelhouse Lane but found there was no track up there anymore. Trams from Martineau Sreet had previously used Corporation Street down this way to reach Alum Rock and Washwood Heath.

Second World War and car 3 minus most of it's glass, but it's business as usual with canvas sheeting up at the windows that doubled as blackout material at night. Note the white fender and headlampmask for the blackout as well. No doubt the passengers were glad of the pretty conductress to shout out the stops as was B.C.T. practice up until the 1950's. Some of the old hands still called out the stops on the buses after that but it was a thing of the past by the end of the 1960's.

Nice view of car 714 in original livery on the 39 at Alcester Lanes End terminus. The motorman chats to the conductor as he waits to peg the Bundy and set of to the City.

Hi All

When Gordon Bunce died, Gordon wrote the books on Lucas, I had all his photos

Among his photos are a lot of photos of old Trams and I think Buses if anybody is interested I will post them, I don't know anything about them

Jackie

That's right Jackie get the trams on to here - we look forward to seeing them. The buses have their own thread to welcome your bus photos, so please post those there as well.
Mike

There are quite a few I have had to resize them so I will put some on now and if you want anymore just let me know

Super collection, thankyou. We can have a very interesting time trying to determine the locations. I can spot two places only and am sure that the HTS boys here will be able to spot one (Soho Rd).
The other is the 10 terminus at the Fox And Goose.

I love the advert TyPhoo Tea for indigestion:dft005:........now thats a new one!:)

Jackie, great photos, thanks again for sharing them with us. Nice to see one or two non Birmingham trams too, like the ancient looking trams in Bristol. They ran the same type of trams there from 1895 until 1941! No protection from the elements for driver or the top deck passengers. It was intended they would run throughout World War II before buses took over but Hitler knocked out the tramway power station on Good Friday of 1941 and the trams were finished there and then. Below is Bristol car 61 during the war photographed by the famous Birmingham tram enthusiast W. A. Camwell. This car was 41 years old by the time of this photo.

Cracking shot here of car 705 somewhere on the 78 route (location info welcomed) Notice the young'un peeping through the open bulkhead door to watch the motorman. Takes me back that does. Did it meself on the old Alum Rock 8 at his age if we could get a seat by that door and it was open when we came up to Brum for a holiday vrum Zummerzet. Strange how something quite trivial can be important enough at the time to stay a lasting memory from childhood.

hi mike
would you ave any pics of the tram
that crashed or turned over on the turn table
at salford bridge where the trams used to turn around and go back to the city centre i think it was around the 53 -4 era
would really appreciate it if you have so i could down load
have a nice day mike , best wishes astonion .;;

Nice picture of 705 it's at Salford bridge it has just come from Birrmingham steelhouse Lane it's left the stage at Salford Bridge and is about to turn left into Slade Road en route for Short Heath.

No 2 would have gone straight on and the 79 would have turned right up Tyburn Rd.

The Muckman Publichouse would be in front and to the left

hi mike
would you ave any pics of the tram
that crashed or turned over on the turn table
at salford bridge where the trams used to turn around and go back to the city centre i think it was around the 53 -4 era
would really appreciate it if you have so i could down load
have a nice day mike , best wishes astonion .;;

I'll have a check through my stuff Astonian but I don't think I have. Lloyd might well turn up something from his collection though. I don't think there would have been a turntable as the trams didn't need to be turned round. The motorman just walked through and drove from the other end of the car. Sounds more like a derailment on crossover points to change line.
Thanks for best wishes, mine back.
Mike

Nice picture of 705 it's at Salford bridge it has just come from Birrmingham steelhouse Lane it's left the stage at Salford Bridge and is about to turn left into Slade Road en route for Short Heath.

No 2 would have gone straight on and the 79 would have turned right up Tyburn Rd.

The Muckman Publichouse would be in front and to the left

Ray,
Many thanks, that side of town is still a mystery to me even today let alone in tramway days. Nice to know help is always at hand. Again thank you.
Mike

Back